2p - The Great River

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spixi

2p - The Great River

Post by Spixi »

This is a nice and well-tested map I made for 2 players. What do you think about it?
2p_The_Huge_River.png
Attachments
GreatRiver.map
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
The_Gnat

Re: 2p - The Great River

Post by The_Gnat »

Looks good, it looks like a nice village that would be somewhere in wesnoth.

Now if you turn that into a scenario that would be cool! You might not be interested in doing that but if you are i've come up with some ideas below:
Spoiler:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you are genuinely looking for a balance critique, I can give you a full balance critique however it won't be a gentle one.

A short version would be both that the overall design is entirely nonviable for competitive balance and that there are many problems in the details as well. This map may have seemed balanced within the scope you tested it but with expert players looking to exploit and all match-ups considered you'll never get this one to work so long as you maintain the general shape.

A key thing to note is that this map design makes it essentially impossible to balance factions with flying vs non-flying. The second is that in any situation where you have non-flying vs non-flying and the initial situation stabilizes, you're practically guaranteed to have a stalemate that no amount of water units can break.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Large clumps of forests with no terrain variation in them = blatant elf advantage
an long river with no water crossing outside of 2 long bridges in the middle = blatant drake advantage
no hills for dwarves to hop to = knalgan at severe disadvantage