End of Scenario Status Report

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Efinari

End of Scenario Status Report

Post by Efinari »

I am designing a multiplayer campaign (in Wesnoth 1.12.4), and I encountered something I have never seen before in my several years designing campaigns and scenarios. When the scenario ends, a message pops up listing the players and details about each one: how many units they have, how much income they have, etc. It then summarizes it into a score and tells which player has the advantage.

Now, I find this rather annoying - among other reasons, because I am already doing something similar (yet altogether different) myself.

Is there any way to turn this off?
Or at the very least, is there a way to 'hide' players from the status report? I don't really want it reporting on the AI leaders in the campaign, some of whom do not die in certain scenarios (and in fact may end much more powerful than the human-controlled players).
Kallin Efinari
---Creator of "LOTE Unit Release", "7p - Afterwards", and "Chain Lightning"
(Working on 1.12 port of "7p - Afterwards")
Managing compatibility between 4000K people's ideas of what happens? Forget it!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: End of Scenario Status Report

Post by zookeeper »

Of course [endlevel] can turn it off entirely, but not selectively per side.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

How does [endlevel] turn it off? I tried putting in "carryover_report=no", but that didn't affect the status report. I looked in the documentation for the [endlevel] tag and didn't see anything that looked like it would work. Can you elaborate?
Kallin Efinari
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Right, I assumed carryover_report=no would do the trick and wasn't really thinking what you were describing. Not that I've actually ever seen it myself, but it's the TURNS_OVER_ADVANTAGE thing included in the default eras in data/multiplayer/eras.cfg, and only triggers when turns run out.

I'm guessing you're still running your WIP scenario(s) using an era, which causes that dialog to appear. It should presumably disappear once you're in an actual era-less multiplayer campaign, although it might also be possible to circumvent using a time over event of your own where you use [modify_turns] to prevent it from triggering. Maybe.

EDIT: In 1.13, it seems you'll be able to disable it by setting a WML variable called show_turns_over_advantage to no/false.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Ah, that is exactly what I'm seeing. Thank you very much. I should be able to do something to work around it - design a custom era, "cheat" the number of turns, etc.
Kallin Efinari
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

This is a knonw issue and was fixed in 1.13 (as zookeeper said)

You can also notice this behaviour in 'Lengend of Wesmere' mainline campaign, in particular in scenario 3 where you have to 'survive until turn end' when there come reinfocements for you.

There are more bugs retated to mp campaigs in 1.12, some info on how to work around them:
  • Add faction=Custom to all sides unless you want that the gmae gives those sides recuits from a randomly picked faction.
  • Don't have 'storysceen only' scenarios, it was observed in in LoW after scenario 8 which is a storyscreen-only scenario all recall units are removed.
  • Just to be on the safe side add persistent=yes, team_lock=yes,gold_lock=yes, income_lock=yes to human [side]s i dont know exactly why but LoW does this too so there might be a reason.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Thank you very much for the tips. They are very helpful and I will bear them in mind.
gfgtdf wrote:Just to be on the safe side add persistent=yes, team_lock=yes,gold_lock=yes, income_lock=yes to human [side]s i dont know exactly why but LoW does this too so there might be a reason.
"persistent=yes" means the side will be saved to be used in future scenarios - this is how you keep a human side through a multiplayer campaign
"team_lock=yes" keeps the player from forming/breaking alliances by choosing their own team in the multiplayer menu
"gold_lock=yes" and "income_lock=yes" prevent the player from adjusting the starting gold and income

Technically the locks can be omitted if you want to design your campaign to handle all the possible team/gold combinations. Campaign designers generally want a bit more control though so yeah, these are generally a good idea. Items such as "controller_lock", "faction_lock", "leader_lock" and even "color_lock" can also be used.

Check out https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SideWML for more info.
Kallin Efinari
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Hmm since changing era doesn't seem to work accosding to your other thread a more hack way to do it would be to change the [message] implementation to not display that messages:

Code: Select all

[lua]
code = <<
local old_message = wesnoth.wml_actions.message
wesnoth.wml_actions.message = function(cfg)
 if not string.find(cfg.message, "has the advantage") then
  old_message(cfg)
 end
end
>>
[/lua]
Although you have of course to fixup that check to work with translations.
"persistent=yes" means the side will be saved to be used in future scenarios - this is how you keep a human side through a multiplayer campaign
"team_lock=yes" keeps the player from forming/breaking alliances by choosing their own team in the multiplayer menu
"gold_lock=yes" and "income_lock=yes" prevent the player from adjusting the starting gold and income
Yes i know what those tags mean, but usually persistent=yes should be the default for human sides, and since there is usually no multiplayer screen shown between 2 scenarios in a campaign you shouldnt need the lock= tags eigher, execpt for the first scenario. That's why i din't know why LoW adds them to all sides.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.