Some Hero Age balancing ?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Some Hero Age balancing ?

Post by Yomar »

Hi, even if I play mostly deafault era, I also often play Hero Age with my friends.
Most of times we put 200 Gp per side (If not 100gp).

And we both agree that the Rogue is underpriced for his utility (other ppl said the same on this forum if I remember well).
Thanks to his low recruiting price and his skirmishing ability, it's very difficult to set up a defense, he deals a lot of dammage even to blade resistant units, If you try to counter with an expensive 40 Gp Lv.2 red mage first he gets dammage because Rogue has also ranged attacks, then on the next turn he's dead, plus you get outnumbeered, and the Red Mage is not be able to kill a Rogue even if he hits him with all his 4 attacks (Something that was possible with A lv.1 mage against thief).
If you try to counter with Lv.1 mages (almost expensive like a Rogue but far more frail), they get killed without even the need of backstabing.
And If you dare to bring out the leader he gets assassinated.
Most units are massacred, like Woses, and even with a starting gold of 100 Gp, you can recruit 2 Rogues and 4 Thiefs in Hero Age.
I think that even the Outlaw is a bit overpowered, but the Rogue is crazy for his price range, He is fast. many melee and ranged attacks, High Dammage, High Defenses on terrains even flat, and a lot of HP.

Usually If I get Knagla I win against my friend by mass recruiting of Thiefs, Rogues and Outlaws, even aginst Orcks (about the same cost at Lv.1 but Orcks are more expensive at Lv.2), and just more Outlaws if I face Undeads.
In case he gets Knagla, well then I am in Trouble, for example I can't counter his first night rush.

So if the unit will not be changed (like taking away the skirmishing ability or the ranged attack, but mostly the skirmishing), at least, can his price be increased, (that would take little effort) to render the Hero Age a bit more playable, when someone gets Knagla.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
The_Gnat

Re: Some Hero Age balancing ?

Post by The_Gnat »

I agree the rogue is pretty powerful. You can counter though with the loyalist lancer,knight or even horseman though because he always can catch the rogue and end him quickly with his charge ability. There pretty expensive but not as costly as red mages. (overall i don't think the rogue needs a price reduction though because every team has there powerful and unique unit - horseman,ulfserker,troll,thrasher,spectre,slayer)

Overall though the knalga are not that powerful a faction however, and they can be stopped by good strategy because of their units slow movement abilities.

In this forum iceiceice does a good job explaining the knaglans weaknesses: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43195