Slightly high Footpad XP Requirement

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gyra_Solune

Slightly high Footpad XP Requirement

Post by Gyra_Solune »

An unusual thing I noticed lately - the Footpad has a base XP of 36 which strikes me as much too high given it's not really a central combat unit that's going to get a lot of kills. It seems to me like more of a fast support unit, like the Wolf Rider, Elvish Scout, Drake Glider, or Rami...all of which are stronger, faster, and take less XP to level to boot. In the Knalgan Alliance, its two fellow outlaws, the Thief and Poacher, are both below 30 to level up, in most cases amounting to a full kill less needed, despite both of those being much more viable standard offensive units. Is there a particular reason Footpad XP is at 36? That strikes me as a really weird downside to an already sort of underwhelming unit, especially for both its role, and its subcategory of outlaws, especially considering the Outlaw it levels up to is still not that impressive. I definitely think that the Footpad should be lowered on that front to at most 30, if not below that at 29 or 28.
ForPeace

Re: Slightly high Footpad XP Requirement

Post by ForPeace »

I personally think that the current xp for HODOR units is ok, and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, you should remember that most of MP games use 70% xp modifier, which lowers the differences between the units. That being said, an intelligent thief needs only 15 xp to advance and an intelligent poacher 16 xp. They need both only two kills to advance, but they are more vulnerable than footpads. Footpads are units who can absorb more damage than other of HODOR, have high terrain defense, can kill enemies both with melee and ranged weapons and are quite fast - that makes gaining xp safer. This is the reason why footpads should remain with current xp.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Ah...what do you mean by HODOR?
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Gyra_Solune wrote:Ah...what do you mean by HODOR?
HODOR are outlaw units in Knalgan Alliance. I actually don't know why they are named this way, but this name is common on MP server.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Sulik

Post by Sulik »

No. HODOR is one of playing styles including only cheap, reliable units. For Knalga it is: Footpad, Poacher and Thief. It comes from player who had a name HODOR and always played this way.

Footpad can advance pretty easly because he can survive long and get experience finishing almost dead enemies. The main reason of his high XP is probably unbalanced matchup againts Undead. Footpads are pretty strong there and they can advance even faster.