First Map I've Ever Made

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

OtakuWamaSama

First Map I've Ever Made

Post by OtakuWamaSama »

Hi guys, this is an alright map, and I hope someone enjoys it for 1v1ing!
Attachments
IslandRumble.map
(8.18 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Eagle_11

Re: First Map I've Ever Made

Post by Eagle_11 »

Can you post an screenshot ?
OtakuWamaSama

Post by OtakuWamaSama »

Eagle_11 wrote:Can you post an screenshot ?
Sure! Here you go.
Attachments
Screenshot1.png
OtakuWamaSama

Post by OtakuWamaSama »

And a second one.
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I see sand terrain everywhere, most mainline units cant move as far, or defend as well in sand, seems hardly enjoyable unless you had an umc faction in mind whilst doing it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Also, you may find that it is advantageous to have two starting positions so that you can have an opponent.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
OtakuWamaSama

Post by OtakuWamaSama »

Velensk wrote:Also, you may find that it is advantageous to have two starting positions so that you can have an opponent.
The first screenshot shows Player 1's starting point.

Second shows Player 2's starting point.

I don't get it...
OtakuWamaSama

Post by OtakuWamaSama »

Eagle_11 wrote:I see sand terrain everywhere, most mainline units cant move as far, or defend as well in sand, seems hardly enjoyable unless you had an umc faction in mind whilst doing it.

The point is basically to have a rush to the forest terrain and villages.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Or you can play Drake and dominate, unless opponent picks drake too.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Aesthetically I really like it, and it would probably be a very good fit in a campaign setting, but I can't see this being anywhere near balanced in a normal match.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Xara

Post by Xara »

Hi, WamaSama.

If you're interested in designing MP maps, there is a nice guide in this sub-forum for some tips: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19669

Generally speaking, people like a 1v1 maps that are slightly asymmetrical. A symmetrical map looks fair to players and is easier to balance, while the slight symmetry break is to offset the first player's advantage. Besides, people often want a balance among mainline factions so that they can comfortably play random factions, which means you need to use Flat as the main terrain and pepper a proper number of hill/forest. And frankly, PvP wesnoth is like MOBA, there really isn't much of a need for more maps.

I guess people probably wouldn't want to play competitive multiplayer games with this map. However, your map looks beautiful, so it can make a good campaign/scenario map.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
OtakuWamaSama

Post by OtakuWamaSama »

Xara wrote:Hi, WamaSama.

If you're interested in designing MP maps, there is a nice guide in this sub-forum for some tips: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19669

Generally speaking, people like a 1v1 maps that are slightly asymmetrical. A symmetrical map looks fair to players and is easier to balance, while the slight symmetry break is to offset the first player's advantage. Besides, people often want a balance among mainline factions so that they can comfortably play random factions, which means you need to use Flat as the main terrain and pepper a proper number of hill/forest. And frankly, PvP wesnoth is like MOBA, there really isn't much of a need for more maps.

I guess people probably wouldn't want to play competitive multiplayer games with this map. However, your map looks beautiful, so it can make a good campaign/scenario map.
Thanks for the tips Xara, I think I should try my hand at campaign maps instead. To be completely honest, I like aesthetic landscapes compared to what's good for pvp.

Although, I did make quite a few balancing tweaks to the map that you can probably see in the screenshots that may interest some. In the upper and bottom left corners, you see the shallow waters connecting to the other islands. The bottom left one is closer, but has three villages. The upper is further away but has five villages. Mainly, what you want to do in this map is to rush the middle and left-middle villages, but also run for ground onto the forest tiles. Whomever holds the most footholds should succeed more often. Both starting points are able to reach these points at basically the same time in the middle. Also, if you'd prefer to rush the right side of the map with a unit or two, there is some forest covering lining that area with a village or two as well. This way, you can flank while gaining the advantage of some extra income. Holding the small lake also provides some benefits, while the villages inside are able to hold your position while it's harder to assault them. Both sides are able to meet in the middle from basically all sides of the main island.

At least, there's nothing unfair about the map, unless your opponent is using drakes. Thanks based drakes.

I love writing fiction, though, so maybe I'll make a campaign of my own some time! :D