Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.2.1, place for feedback

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChaosRider

Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.2.1, place for feedback

Post by ChaosRider »

- Scenario for 3-6 players (but you can allways try it alone)
- Map size 120x120
Spoiler:
- 46 diffrent types of items (not dropable by human players units).
- Players are starting with 2k gold, shop is a little expensive (more than earlier).
- Map is divided into many locations, each can be opened by moving units in front of the gates.
- I didn't add any code to steal dead enemies weapons to not make this scenario easier.
- Weapons from items have added dmg/strikes bonuses bought in shop and found from other items.
- I like to play Labirynth of Champions but for me it was allways a bit too short, so here is something longer.
- At map are spawned 200 items (picked randomly, also their places are picked randomly) and 100 chests with gold (with 1 to 250 gold coins inside, but its not a 1..250 where each option has same chance to be picked. Its such a random picking where its 250 x 1, 249 x 2, 248 x3.. ..3 x 248, 2 x 249, 1 x 250 - this thing took me 103k lines of code... also at end each of chests value is increased by 0-100% (its also picked randomly)).
- For today its a simple hack & slash map, maybe in future I will add some quests.
- Players are starting in map center and has 6 possible ways to go.
- Before entering to the last bosses you have to visit whole map :]... Which is equal with opening all gates.
- No addons are required to play it. Its created for mainline era. In my opinion 0-1 lvls are best to use here (from colosseum era for example).
- In each location is a river so water units as mermans shouldn't suffer much because they have bad terrain movement.
- Each gate has a special road type at front so if you find some gate without this special road type then it's mean that you are on wrong side of gate and to open it you have find other around way.
- You can buy abilities (they can be little bit expensive, like feeding by 1000 gold)
- In shop you can sell weapons.
- Players can buy full heal by 75 gold.
- Players units start game with decreased terrain defense by 10% and resistances by 20%.
- Players units at start has increased strikes and damages by 1 and movemement points by 4.
- Each of gates is spawning enemies in area to which you're going (this one option is to choose by game hoster at game start)

Im trying to make everytime as many things random as its possible to make game unique every time you play in it... Even best scenarios has that minus that you know where some items, enemies are...

On Wesnoth 1.12 is available version 1.1.2 of this addon, there may be some bugs still (ofcourse I hope they won't be any).
Here is a place for your feedback, game may be also in some locations unbalanced, in one more items in other less but just try enjoy it as much as you can.
Last edited by ChaosRider on September 16th, 2015, 2:08 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Leendert

Re: Looking for a Map Desperately

Post by Leendert »

Hi Chaos,

One question about selling weapons in "between darkness and light".

When you have two of the same weapons (for example two longbows) and want to sell one this seems not possible, both weapons are sold.
This happens only with two exactly the same weapons.
Can this be solved or is it done for a reason?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
ChaosRider

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] - place for feedback

Post by ChaosRider »

Leendert wrote:When you have two of the same weapons (for example two longbows) and want to sell one this seems not possible, both weapons are sold.
Its because when you sell two weapons picked up at map from items which are exactly same (also their attacks names) then shop is deleting both (its deleting attack with name which you clicked to delete). This can be fixed/avoid by 2 ways:
1. To set some variable with starting value 0 and after picking each next weapon increase this value by 1 up and add this value to new weapon attack.
2. Adds code to picking up weapons which will look for weapon with same name of weapon which you want pick up. If it find it then you wont be able to pick up second flaming sword (for example).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Hello ChaosRider,

Some things I would change in your place:
- selling weapons for ONLY 20 gold is completely unprofitable
- the idea of giving a unit 4 mp every time it kills an enemy favors berserkers and mages. (game also becomes boring (and unrealistic; no offence) if you make 17 moves during one turn, but only one next time :whistle: ).
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Leendert wrote:Hi Chaos,

One question about selling weapons in "between darkness and light".

When you have two of the same weapons (for example two longbows) and want to sell one this seems not possible, both weapons are sold.

Thanks in advance for your answer.
There is also a third way to deal with that which is to before adding new weapon from item delete weapons with the same name.
pe_em wrote:Hello ChaosRider,

Some things I would change in your place:
- selling weapons for ONLY 20 gold is completely unprofitable
- the idea of giving a unit 4 mp every time it kills an enemy favors berserkers and mages. (game also becomes boring (and unrealistic; no offence) if you make 17 moves during one turn, but only one next time :whistle: ).
Players to get more gold must explore more locations, selling weapons is only to not have a mess in weapons list and their amount of gold is symbolic.

There is many other scenarios where players have returned moves and attacks left after killing enemies (like sx rpg, sxc, sxcr, in mwc with some items, there is even in era of magic some barbarian which has fury and berserker if im not wrong - im not sure about this last). Berserker is useful in such a scenarios but also danger. While defense you have higher chances to die bacause your unit cant be blocked by enemies which survived fight with your unit.

You say that game become boring and unrealistic if you do diffrent amout of moves, attacks and kills on enemies in each turn so its same with real life where you dont break your legs each day, you dont sneeze each day and you dont eat same things at beakfast. In my opinion it makes game even more realistic because you shouldnt be able to do same amount of steps in your each day because each next day is diffrent than which passed away.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

Hello,

Something strange happened playing "between darkness and light" solo with one faction.
With war of the gods rpg era, after playing almost 1/3 of the map attacking takes for ever, looks like the game got stuck.
Tried this in Wesnoth 1.10 too, same result.
I like the map very much!

My platform is Mint linux 17.2 (KDE) with latest updates.

By the way, Wesnoth 1.12 is much slower (on my system than 1.1....

Thanks in advance for your reply!
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

And the stuck side I guess it was the one with white color? You can open (in scenarios folder) scenario.cfg and misc.cfg (in macro folder) file and look for "side=8", change it for "side=7". There are 2 ai enemies, but somehow the first one moves faster (that's what I observed while playing this scenario). You can tell me is it changed something or not.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

Indeed the white units make the game stop, found the scenario map but it seems to be empty (hidden files are visible).
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

I upgraded to Wesnoth 1.12.4 and hope the problem is solved now.
But now i noticed that the shop is much more expensive?
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

Unfortunately the map is not playable for me anymore, game get jammed after a while on attacking creep.
Maybe you want to explain your above solution a bit more (with paths to maps) cause i do not realy get it.

Thanks in advance!!
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

The white colored creeps are taking forever to respond!
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

A reloaded saved game does not start, White's turn never ends or my units attack lasts forever.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

ChaosRider wrote:And the stuck side I guess it was the one with white color? You can open (in scenarios folder) scenario.cfg and misc.cfg (in macro folder) file and look for "side=8", change it for "side=7". There are 2 ai enemies, but somehow the first one moves faster (that's what I observed while playing this scenario). You can tell me is it changed something or not.
I found it and changed side=8 for side=7 but it didn't solve it.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

Leendert wrote:
ChaosRider wrote:And the stuck side I guess it was the one with white color? You can open (in scenarios folder) scenario.cfg and misc.cfg (in macro folder) file and look for "side=8", change it for "side=7". There are 2 ai enemies, but somehow the first one moves faster (that's what I observed while playing this scenario). You can tell me is it changed something or not.
I found it and changed side=8 for side=7 but it didn't solve it.
At least not for a saved game, i will start a new one and see what happens.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

The following error appears after trying to load a saved game.

Invalid WML received: WML document exceeds 40mb limit.

The trouble seems to be the white reappearing units, they cause terrible lag.