Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.2.1, place for feedback

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChaosRider

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] - place for feedback

Post by ChaosRider »

Its thx spam of events for items and chests and right now I dont know how to make it works better also Im now on vacation. In this sunday I'm going home (where I have better internet connection - here once I have, once not :O). I wouldn't expect any update before monday.

Also I'll have to change amount of gold which you get while killing, speed of improvements for new creeps and last bosses. After next update spamming enemies on map (when you open gates) might be deleted. This scenario still require a lot work :P.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

I want to thank you again for this map and the work you put into it.
After fixing some issues this will be a great map to play Chaos!!
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

Solution until fix is to undroid 8 and 9 for now i guess.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Before I start to make spaghetti (its takes hour or more) I can push you on server changes which I created to this day (lower gold bonus by killing enemies, more gold at start, no spawning enemies after openning gates, little lower prices in shop, better balance in upgrading enemies (they will get slower dmg and hp bonus), higher bonuses per turn for ai leaders - he should have now much more hp to be more challenging for the one who reach this point of game).

I tested this changes with some players and game isnt too easy even with more found chests in first turns.

But I stll thinks to maybe change this per turn upgrades for ai leaders for one bigger upgrade when you open last of gates.

Uploaded newest version (1.1.1) at server.

Edit:

Newest version is adding more shops at map (now it's 20 of shops on map, 3 in starting location and 17 in random x,y places), 2 new items which are adding one of 30 possible weapon specials (one of ranged, other for melee) - each weapon of range which item is working has added random new weapon special, abilities in shop.

Hmmm, looks like 30 random weapon specials are pretty heavy in size (because its inside of 200 items events), over 1mib more at scenario start... I'll have to change new 2 items for new 10 without any random picking (8 for each range.)

Uploaded v1.1.2 on BfW 1.12 and BfW 1.10.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Leendert

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.2, place for feed

Post by Leendert »

Hi Chaos,

Thanks for all the work, game is much faster now.
Only the problem with reloading a saved game is not solved yet.
Ended my turn in this game and the game got stuck while orange site should attack.
Orange unit came next to me but took forever to strike, i had to end the game.
Maybe you can tell me how this can happen, i did some wml learning last few days.
Leendert

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.2, place for feed

Post by Leendert »

Also when i start a reaload game in my turn, i cannot attack, the game gets stuck there too.
My unit can get next to the orange creep but a strike takes forever also.
The game did not go on.
ChaosRider

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.3, place for feed

Post by ChaosRider »

Leendert wrote:Post by Leendert » August 31st, 2015, 12:37 pm
Also when i start a reaload game in my turn, i cannot attack, the game gets stuck there too.
My unit can get next to the orange creep but a strike takes forever also.
The game did not go on.
Leendert wrote:Hi Chaos,

Thanks for all the work, game is much faster now.
Only the problem with reloading a saved game is not solved yet.
Ended my turn in this game and the game got stuck while orange site should attack.
Orange unit came next to me but took forever to strike, i had to end the game.
Maybe you can tell me how this can happen, i did some wml learning last few days.
In v1.1.3 of BDAL is assimilated part of code of WC/MWC for spawning bonus places (ofcourse there you have to first step on bonus place, then you had spawned 1 hex higher item and move on item to get it - here it would be trouble some because of filtering nearly cave walls and other impossible/unwalkable terrains). I've changed it to spawn not bonuses, but treasure/items.

There are advantages of this but also disadvantages:
Spoiler:
Changes:
- changed code of spawning items
- changed prices of abilities in shop (now they cost 80% of old prices)
- min distance between 2 items is now 3 hexes
- max value gold in one chest is now 750 gold
- 300 treasure places on map wherein each of them has a 30% chance to be a chest and 70% to be one of items.

As for ai:
Reason of creating SXCR was that high hp of units, high dmgs, strikes that made ai calculate longer what unit first use and what weapon in SXC.
Maybe some day Im gonna do the same changes in BDAL or someone will find way to improve it (but in 1.12 as I've seen in SX RPG ai side think faster.

Visions for the future of BDAL:
With this code for items I can add them really a lot (I mean types of them as in MWC 245 - in BDAL as for now 46) because it shouldn't change much this 180kb required to join to game. Ofcourse more items would require to add images which aren't in mainline/core folders - where the consequence would be to require of all players in game to have this scenario (in v1.1.3 all images are used from mainline/core folders of Wesnoth).

Uploaded BDAL v1.1.3 on Wesnoth v1.12 and 1.10.

Minor cosmetic improvements + more trap hexes to spawn enemies.
Uploaded BDAL v1.1.4 on Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.10.
Leendert

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.4, place for feed

Post by Leendert »

Yess,

Game is very well playable now, saved games can be played without getting stuck.
Takes a little time loading at first start but that's no problem.
Only thing i would like is that the map indicator only shows where you have been instead of showing the whole map, but that is pure personal.

Great map to play now Chaos, thanks!
ChaosRider

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.5, place for feed

Post by ChaosRider »

To make game easier/more friendly for mainline units (from 0,1 lvls) weapons from items are now stronger and ai units also have decreased terrain defense by 10% and resistances by 10% (maybe this defenses and resistances decreasing for ai units I'll leave in future as choice for game hoster to play with it or without it, same for spawning enemies in random x,y after opening gates). Now reaching last area/location should be easier.

BDAL v1.1.5 contains also 15 abilities in shop:
Spoiler:
Uploaded BDAL v1.1.5 to BfW v1.12 and BfW v1.10.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

I hate to tell you but there is still to much delay in movement, to much calculations i think.
Mouse does not react real time like it should.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Leendert wrote:I hate to tell you but there is still to much delay in movement, to much calculations i think.
Mouse does not react real time like it should.
Could you tell me what you have bought from shop? And with what amount of gold you started it :D ??? We both know that WOTG allows to add gold at start :P. Last time I've been watching your game you had 22k gold xP before using shop...

For now I can tell you that teleport ability can make a bit delay because its not same as mainline teleport - there teleport is looking for villages owned by side which is turn/round, in this scenario teleport is looking for villages owned by allied with side which is turn (so here its 6 sides!) so filtering can take more time. If you are playing alone game then you may not buy it - its added to shop to have option to jump from one side of map to other and save teammates.
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

You are right again, i tested it and the problem comes with having to much abilities, ai has to make to much calculations i guess.
Problem appeared after buying the last 4 abilities.
So its not WOTG RPG era but to much choice in shop. :)
Leendert

Post by Leendert »

Gone for about 8 days now, short vacation.
ChaosRider

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.9, place for feed

Post by ChaosRider »

Leendert wrote:You are right again, i tested it and the problem comes with having to much abilities, ai has to make to much calculations i guess.
Problem appeared after buying the last 4 abilities.
So its not WOTG RPG era but to much choice in shop. :)
I would count on teleport ability... its looking for tunnels between villages owned by allied with human player sides (so its max 6 sides). Maybe I'll change it in next versions to teleport between leaders of human players sides not between allied sides villages.

Another update to v1.1.6, more abilities, you can choose do you want to have spawned enemies in random x,y hexes after opening of each of gates or not, different code for spawning shops, now 2 items for adding weapon specials are picking from 40 types of weapon specials (not anymore from only 8 types - max for each weapon of weapon specials is 3 - if you will be able to have more than it means you are lucky (or it's because I coudn't findout (for now) why it's works this way :D)), 25 shops on map where min distance between 2 shops is 13 hexes, size of addon while joining to game is now 580 kb, still 2min 40 sec at game start are require to spawn items & shops (shops from this version), more trap hexes on map which are spawning enemies near you.

Edit2:

Pushed v1.1.8 of BDAL on Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.10. More abilities (now 20 in shop), they cost more, enemies are little bit weaker now at start but much stronger later. Fixed thunderbolt/auras water/wind/thorns - after killing enemy you will get now gold/mp/attack left back.

Edit3:
Pushed v1.1.9 of BDAL on Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.10. More abilities (now 24 in shop), balance in enemies, small changes in shop prices. Minimal distance between 2 shops is now 15 hexes (without 3 shops in map middle where players start it).
Leendert

Re: Between Darkness And Light [BDAL] v1.1.9, place for feed

Post by Leendert »

2 remarks about the (great) map:

There is a shop at 80,2 that doesn't open, and I think there's to much melee arcane weapons to pick up.