Creep War

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

piezocuttlefish

Re: Creep War

Post by piezocuttlefish »

Hey, everybody!

I just wanted to let you all know that Creep War v0.3.5 has hit the shelves. Download it and try it out!

Here's a list of changes from the changelog:
- added some player settings to work with iceiceice's Captain's Mode
- changed kills earned for a guard to 2 and for a teamleader to 4
- striking a guard decreases its maximum HP permanently
- each combo upgrade gives a discount on all future combo upgrades
- changed creep kill gold to 4 + level of creep
- set AI caution to 0.04
- set AI aggression to 0.90
- increased price of net to 72
- increased price of poisoned knife to 56
- changed large HP boost: 50 gold for +14 & +50% of original HP
- changed small HP boost: 22 gold for + 5 & +22% of original HP
- changed all creep appearance times by multiplying by 1.2
- changed score at which creeps begin scaling to 120
- changed rate at which creeps increase stats
- decreased maximum number of weapons carried to 2

Cheers, and happy creeping!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I liked the previous out of map terrain(especially deep water) more. Current one does not look like the creep war I liked at all. This is most important for map preview in lobby, it doesnt look like creep war.

The label we talked about is not visible. Neither is version in objectives.

Upgrade hp should be % of current unit_type, not starting one.
Cubesphere

Post by Cubesphere »

E: The turns you're looking for is turn are turns 36 onward (guard south-east)

What happens there is that the guard loses incredible amounts of max hp in a really, really short time going down from 120+ to under 50.
I really dislike this new guard mechanic because once you attack a guard, he's just dead...
Dunno if that's a bug or so but I dont think this is intended.
Attachments
Creep_War_Runde_41.gz
(116.47 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
piezocuttlefish

Post by piezocuttlefish »

Howdy, Cubesphere! Thanks for uploading the replay!

I went over what you saw in the game. Here are a few things about this version of Creep War:

You can't heal yourself at the shop every turn. You can only get fully healed every other turn. If you try to heal yourself after you got healed last turn, you will heal half. If you try to heal twice on the same turn, the second heal won't work. This is to decrease late-game shop camping.

Volker is correct: enthrallment does not generate any kills. This is because enthrallment uses the [last breath] event, and the unit never actually dies. Ravana is in charge of that, and may make a change if it becomes important.

The guard's max HP decreasing is an intended effect. Striking a guard decreases its max HP by 1+ creature level per strike. This makes high level magical creatures especially deadly to guards. Creep War is not designed to handle characters like Volker's Matriarch, unfortunately. With an attack that is magical, draining, and has 8 base attacks, it is eminently suited to chewing up everything in its path. The HP decrease mechanic rewards aggressive play, which is great because games in prior versions of Creep War could get too slow and reactive. That attack that Volker did on your side was just brutal, and stopping it would have been incredibly hard. The HP decrease mechanic just speeds up the process.

I did not understand what was happening with the hero with 93/90 XP. Is AMLA built into that unit type?
Pyrochemik

Re: Ideas on Creep War Edit ...

Post by Pyrochemik »

I just found out, mixed strikes and mixed dmg get cost reduction, the more you buy, the cheaper they get. It is sooooo bad idea. If the game gets longer, even meelee unit like level 3 dwarf gets stronger by buying both damage and both strikes. For example, if I attack with ranged (and only purchased ranged whole game) attack, which, in very long game, is only 16/14 stronger than mixed attacks of enemy with same gold, and in his turn, he attacks back with the one where he doesnt receive dmg, which means i receive 28 DMG, and deal only 16 DMG equivalents. And this is some crazy unbalanced [censored].
Keep it balanced, units like net-bearing wish still profit from 24/72 cost.
mmmax

Post by mmmax »

hey, got a bug with the kill/gold counter, it has happened many times before with a reload or even a rejoined gamed. Finally captured it.
Attachments
Creep_War_Alternate_Map_Turn_25-bug.gz
bug-not adding to kill/bank
(96.17 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

In Creep War from 1.12 Wesnoth is not much fair that you get full hp healing and poison cure once you move to the shop. Some units dont have huge dmg (or good resistances as dwarves) as woses or thunderers, they are using poison. Full healing and poison curing should cost some money.

-20% bonus to all resistances for all human players units with min -20% (as this minimum I understand that this minus bonus could be added to units with 0% or higher % of res, so any res below this wont be changed - to not decrease from -50% to -70% fire res for a woses) at start could be also a good improvement.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

I can translate to italian :)
Lynxx

Post by Lynxx »

Is this game still being developed?
Tondo

Creep war trouble

Post by Tondo »

Hi,

Some time ago I updated the creep war map-pack. Since then, none of the maps work - either there are no guards/creep at all, or the guards are all red (all four guards, on both sides), and the is no creep as well. Also no gold is awarded for killing a unit from opposing side, and the game does not end when a guard is killed.

I tried different eras and activating different mods (like Plan your advancement mod and such) or no mods at all, but is seems to make no difference. I also tried to remove and re-install the creep war addon, to no avail.

I run the stable 1.12 release. Any idea what could be wrong?
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

Hi all! Wanted to let you know that I'm currently working on a modification of Creep War (Creep War Dev).

Current features are:
* more creep types. All creeps from default Era are generated. Unit is chosen randomly based on cost. (On wesnoth-1.13, creep types follow the chosen Era, be it Khalifate or anything else.)
* move to Lua where appropriate.

Goals/TODO:
* more trade-offs in choosing weapons, I wanna tune this part. For example, adding weak & cheap weapons is planned.
* allow game reloads
* noobie trap. Allow recruiting, but fail the game immediately if anybody recruits. Might be a bit doubtful, but better than waiting for noobs to show up with no upgrades after 4 turns.. This may change if it'll receive negative reaction to this.
* get rid of warnings and make it compatible with wesnoth-1.13
* some others

I recently made it working and actually played a few games online.:)
My add-ons: CreepWars, berserk_limiter, Afterlife.
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

UPD: game reloads finally possible (including Multiplayer games)!

Also, the "score" is based on unit cost (that are killed) from now on. This makes sense because creep generation is based on cost, too. So the more expensive units you kill, the more bonus you'll get. Killing a wose is finally regarded to be harder than killing a spearman. It has its weaknesses too, but it's it's generally a good change.
Anthrok

Post by Anthrok »

something wrong with guard health. Now it increases from leader gold, which means much more than before. Earlier it was 150-200 when the 4lvl units spawn, now it's 400-500 when 2lvl.
Main problem with healing - with %hp heal you can just stand with one unit in shop and guards never die.
frodo42

Post by frodo42 »

Totally agree with Anthrox, we had a long long 1v1 game where he was clearly winning but could not kills guards
In the end we ran out of time.
I have tried to attach the autosave of the game ... didn't get a replay saved before Anthrox left and the game threw me out.

Nice to see a development of the creep war though, good work Vasya
Sorry for not replying about the other game you asked about, I think it ended with some kind of disconnect from you
Attachments
DEVELOPMENT_Creep_War_Turn_87.gz
(159.81 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
vasya
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by vasya »

Hi! Thanks for the feedback (sorry, I didn't receive email notification somewhy).

Regarding guard health -- you're right. This was a balancing breakage, guard shouldn't be that hard to kill. It's fixed in the current version already (0.4.1 at the moment of writing).

The addon is getting more stable as I get more feedback, and, what's most importantly, document the game rules.
Starting from version 0.4.0, there is full documentation to most aspects of the game. (screenshot of the game rules attached.)
cwd-rules.png