World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Re: World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Post by Dugi »

Good do see you. I guessed right from the beginning that you were called to army.

And, it's not so active, but a lot of progress have been made after your depart. You can fight enemies, increase skills, use new skills to fight them better, collect items to gear up, Heindal said he is working on scenarios where you might fight more of them, but a lot of things are still lacking.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Good luck, for your army time Xudo!

I will see what I can do to develop the scenario a little.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I'm currently developing the scenario a little. First mission is ready and the concept is done, but It will still take time, until the scenario is finished.
Here is something that might be interesting. A little side boss: the Scarecrow (based on shadow and scarecrow).

I also developed a worldmap based on the existing five fates map. It should show the entire world of Battle for Wesnoth and it was designed to work as a worldmap for World of Wesnoth (obviously). Unfortunately it is 248 kb in size (!!!), so I can't upload it. But you can review it in five fates.
Attachments
scarecrow.png
scarecrow.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I needed around 6 hours of testing (coding not included), but now the new version of Wow should be ready for testing.

Note that I just added:

- a story
- npcs
- missions and missionsitems
- the worldmap scenario (map and scenario - I haven't tested it yet)
- new units and bosses (scarecrow, barricade, attackers, the woodcutter)

I changed:

- the teleport macros - you will now have to do the missions, before beeing able to enter other areas.
- the players no longer receive an income, nor an additional income for conquering houses
- the map has been changed, smother borders and relocation of furniture

I haven't changed anything concerning the game mechanics, which have been done by dugi. But I added some images and animations, as well as some mission macros for the future development.

There are now 7 missions that have to be solved and several npcs roam the place and will give you quests. I added several side bosses and elite mops such as the scarecrows (its four of them!). The difficulty is decent, I fought with 5 advanced necromancers and lost several of them here and then.

Hints for testers:

1. You will proably need several hours to get through this scenario.
2. Stay together, protect weaker persons.
3. Wait for the starting player when entering a new area, he should enter a new area as the first person.
4. Use attack spells as often as you can. Especially on bosses.
5. Unlock attack spells as soon as possible, especially those which damage groups (shades of fallen is a perfect shotgun).
6. Wait a while when you are harmed and you will heal after a while.
7. Bed tiles, Angelstatues and villages without teleporter will heal you as well, in case you are poisoned.
8. Note that summon Skeletons, Skeleton Archer does not work (I already sent dugi a report about that).
9. Monsters can just attack what they see. You can use this to take out your enemies one after one.

It is not perfect and I would like to receive a little feedback, how to make it better.
I'd like to know:

- Can every player read the mission description and the story parts, or just the first player?
- Have you found spelling mistakes? What about the wording?
- Do you like the story and the characters?
- How difficult is this campaign? (I'd say its challenging)
- Have you found and seen any bugs?
- What do you think about the missions?
Attachments
World_of_Wesnoth.zip
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

Version 2
Finally! Ill try it out now and I will edit this post each time I find something new to tell. To let you know I will change the Version unumber after each important edit (to not create 100000 posts)

DUGI:
Spoiler:
When my Mage lvl 2 used steelskin this wml error occured and the spell did not work (see picture)
Furthermore it seems that despite its description the healer can heal posoning.. or do the units heal it after a few turns themselves?
I like it that elves have better movement in forests and others dont even thought I dont know if its balanced(do orks/humans have any feauters?)
I also like that the def rate depends on the terrain and not ONLY on the stats
Maybe there should be other secondary stuff like breaking locks etc?
When My healer took off her acolytes Robes she lost her spellattack, when she put it on she could attack with it normally again.. was that intended?

HEINDAL:
Spoiler:
3)When I use the teleport only the first one (to the place with lots teleports) works properly, if i use any other my unit looses all its moves (Idk maybe you wanted that but its quit annoying) (EDIT:noticed that the teleports work one way without loosing moves, the other you loose all)
4)Loved the woodcutter although a bit too weak (or that might be because i have many weapons equiped.. im not testing yet for difficulty only for bugs)

ELSE:
Spoiler:
3)Strangely my healer has the healing ability and heals himself with it(useful but overpowered)
Attachments
mage_steelskin.png
Last edited by Oezi on May 29th, 2013, 10:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your suggestions, this can be done in several minutes. A questlog would definitely help, but this has to be embedded by dugi and I did not want to mess up with his work.

About dugis questions:

1. I think that the magcial attacks are intended to work that way. If you have enough mana, the magical attacks will show up as attacks and have 100% hitchance - like the rightclick version of the spells. It was the same with the darkblast of the necromancers.
2 + 3. Yeah, I saw that, too.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

1) Yeah, intended.
<Invalid WML found> [damage_unit] has missing required amount=attribute) Can you describe the circumstances? This probably means that it failed to load the skill level, and this seems to happen a lot. Same with summon skeletons' failures. It worked for me, but I probably made some change shortly before uploading and haven't noticed it.
3,4) Seems some variables are not properly initialised, I'll have to check it out.
5) Didn't work on it yet.
____(ELSE)
1) You've probably misunderstood the mechanism. All units on sides 1-5 heal if none of them attacked. They CAN move, but all of them CANNOT attack in order to heal 20% of maximum hp. This is to make the units get healed between fights.
2) Didn't work on it yet. What should be the penalty for dying, btw?

I don't have the time to work on it, finals are near, and this time, I am gonna end the first part of physics study, and it will mean one big boss final, so I will not have much time in the future, and if I'll find some, I'll spend it on finishing Legend of the Invincibles (because finishing it is much closer than finishing this). I might fix some bugs, though, but not too likely to add new features.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

O_O I should really look around more on that forum... Dream come true!!!!!! A complete RPG on Wesnoth... Wow. I'm seriously gonna have to find some time to play more.
Guys, you're awesome! Got nothing else to say (sorry for the unuseful post, but that was needed).
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

About the Invalid WML it appears always when the firemage uses his fireball attack and when the Rogue Counterattacks. It also appeared when my Fencer counterattacked.. maybe because of the equiped weapons idk. EDIT: the retaliation wml probably occurs because of the weapons
Penalty for Dying should be a 3 turn delay where you could be resurrected by a potion or stuff. And afterwards you get respawned at the beginning(or checkpoint) with 20%hp and 20% mana or slowed for a few turns (or both?)
To make it possibloe to drink a potion when you are dead i would recommend replacing the dead char with a "coffin" with 1 hp that cant attack and cant move and cannt be damaged.
And about the difficulty - if you play alone with 5 chars its ok but in a real multiplayer it would be horribly difficult (as may people dont like to cooperate or wait till everyone has full hp etc).
My previous post was updated with new stuff i found, the old one is in spoiler.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It seems that something went wrong with determining the skill levels, this can easily be a typo. Please tell me which skills are causing it.
I am not sure how does the healing poison work, because some poisons wear off over time. The generic poison should be healed only by villages or healers, so I suppose it should heal poison. And I intentionally made him heal himself as well, if he didn't, the healer might have problems with his own health.
The races have the usual differences, elves are good in forests, orcs move fast through hills, humans have arcane resistance and faster mana regeneration. Also, I wanted to add some race specific passive skills for orcs and elves, but I did not do it yet.
Your idea for dying penalty is fine. I might code it. Resurrection 3 turns after dying, with 1 hp, slowed and poisoned, no exp loss or gold loss (could be called fainting instead). Maybe a picture for a defeated hero might be good. Resurrection by a potion would be awkward, because you would be screwed once you run out of them.
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

the summon shadow of the rouge does work (only for inf.), but i believe allowing the shadow to lvl up is silly.(However you might mention in the description that you can summon only 1 shadow and a second summoning wont heal it, but replace with a new one)
the error was produced by sttelskin of mage.
It would be nice to see the mana regen. in the char info.. and maybe the beginning class chosen(rogue mage etc).
In addition The fireball spell does too much damage.. I didnt lvl it up and it still says 55 damage (mage lvl 2).. When I use it as an attack it does 10 damage.. but as a spell 55 (on non-resistant units).
ALso I am pretty confused ybout the spell resistances etc.. If I use the arcane lightbeam as a normal attack it does 38 dmg, when i cast it as a spell only 22. (Against undead)
However If i cast a fireball at a non-resistant unit it does f.e. 55 dmg but against a dragon only 26 dmg (casting as a spell).. So one time the resistance of the unit applies, the other time it doesnt
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

the summon shadow of the rouge does work (only for inf.), but i believe allowing the shadow to lvl up is silly.(However you might mention in the description that you can summon only 1 shadow and a second summoning wont heal it, but replace with a new one)
It is one of the things I want to do later. The experience it obtains should be spread among all players.
It would be nice to see the mana regen. in the char info.. and maybe the beginning class chosen(rogue mage etc).
Hm, good idea. It is 1 + intelligence/10 + bonuses (for example humans have +1).
In addition The fireball spell does too much damage.. I didnt lvl it up and it still says 55 damage (mage lvl 2).. When I use it as an attack it does 10 damage.. but as a spell 55 (on non-resistant units).
Definitely not intended. Some calculation must have gone wrong.
However If i cast a fireball at a non-resistant unit it does f.e. 55 dmg but against a dragon only 26 dmg (casting as a spell).. So one time the resistance of the unit applies, the other time it doesnt
This is possible.
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

About the exp, i believe only the caster should get it.. or half of it like in your other campaign.
I noticed that the lightbeam has no attack icon when used as spell but it has one when used as attack.
The Shadow is able to pickup weapons etc but not equipint, thus loosing the weapon forever (not highest priority change but still i thought i should mention it)
The fireball spell does not work on adjustent enemies, only on the target(anyways with his damage it wpould be extremely overpowered now)
I get only 25% xp for killing with spells, intended? maybe make 40% at least.. As the picture shows the fireball makes 200.4 dmg(i have one staff +20% equipped) and its morning.. the enemy is the undead troll lvl 2 (for killing him i get only 4 xp as mentioned before) EDIT: everyone gets 4 xp.. but thats then 20 xp for a lvl 2 unit
Another mistake is when I level p and lets say I have a fencer lvl 2 with flaming strike lvl 1, and I level up it says Flaming Strike: Current lvl1 (thats fine) but when i choose Ranger it Says Leeches:Current lvl 1 and so on.. Basically it takes the current lvl of flaming strike (skill number 3) and shows that number for every third skill of every class.

And Heindal I like the storyline but the characters present it horrible (sorry).. But it reminds me of me younger brother who was ten when they played a musical in school. I will see if I find out how to make it look better but idk.
Btw I think teleporting all heroes back to the inn after each quest would be nice... F.e. When I pick up the last woodpiece say ("After finding what they considered enough wood to rebuild the barricades, The Heroes immidiately returned to the Inn") Then make a dialog where those innguys say thanks etc and the heroes go to sleep (after such an exciting and difficult mission) and during the night those 2 people discuss the idendity of the heroes and the one says that he doesnt trust them.
Attachments
fireballdmg.png
Last edited by Oezi on May 29th, 2013, 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

About the exp, i believe only the caster should get it.. or half of it like in your other campaign.
If it was not gained by anybody, summoners would become greatly unpopular.
I get only 25% xp for killing with spells, intended? maybe make 40% at least.. As the picture shows the fireball makes 200.4 dmg(i have one staff +20% equipped) and its morning.. the enemy is the undead troll lvl 2 (for killing him i get only 4 xp as mentioned before) EDIT: everyone gets 4 xp.. but thats then 20 xp for a lvl 2 unit
Seems I have en error in the calculations.
The rest... there is a load of bugs that I will have to fix...
Oezi

Post by Oezi »

Thats the story/text for Heindal
1Part is perfect.
2nd part:
Bartender: Heroes! We will need your help once more! Please hurry to the woodcutter southwest of the village and gather as many wood as you can. I don't think that there is anyone alive however.
Waitress: whispers: This is suicide. You know that they won't survive that.
Bartender: whispers: What if They are the reason for the undead attack?? I don't think that it is coinsidence that they came here the night the undead attacked.
Waitress: whispers: You are paranoid! We should be lucky that they are here, saving us from those zombies when they would probably be strong enough just to move on.
Bartender: Mark my words, Melinda! I have a bad feeling about them. // 'I've a' doesn't sound really convincing

Part 3:(after finding the wood)
Hero1:We have enough wood, friends. Let's return quickly to the tavern. //letting the players speak is pretty funny, makes them feel more part of the game then just letting the npc talk.
Teleport
Hero2:Here's the wood you asked for.
Alamdrus:Yes, this should be enough to repair the barricades and the tavern doors, or at least block them.
Waitress: Ha! I knew they could do it. Thank you! // btw wasnt she the one telling that they wont do it? But that doesnt really matter anyways
Bartender: Hrmpf.
Bartender: whispers:[to himself?] This still doesnt proof that they are "good". If they were the cause of the undead, they would have easily managed to get the wood. The fact that they all returned alive is making them even more suspicious.
Waitress: whispers Still not trusting them? No wonder you have no wife!
Waitress: I will go get myself a snack..
Moving
the next text is okay until:
"Alamdrus: Aye, what about the Highpriest? // He seems pretty unmoved by her friend collapsing on the floor.. as if he wouldnt care at all/have no feelings.. Although he is a dwarf thats still awkward"
I have no idea how to make it better but minor mistakes:
"of the first places, that were attacked(>idk i like it more than conquered..)"
" We shoud send" with a d; but I would say We should ask
after rescuing the white mage (part 4): I can suggest just a few gramaticall "mistakes" i noticed. (and it would be useful to be teleported back again)
"Just ate a bite of grain" (I assume you mean a bit?) or do you mean a bite of biting? then you would need to change the sentence.
"who has sold you this crop?"
"and I believe it is connected to this invasion" (no more explanation needed i think)
"I would avoid eating" (instead of to eat)
"There is a farmer in the east" (makes it sound more natural)
"He should have" (sounds better in my opnion but its not important at all)
"Yes, We could offer him shelter in exchange for food! If he is still alive of course..." (minor changes, sounds better again)
"But I am quite sure these heroes, will help us once more!" is strange.. I would replace that sentence by "Could you 5 help us once more? We really won't make it alone..."
Then maybe add a sentence like Herox: to himself/whispers "Yeah sure, since we are here you haven't even moved a finger by yourselves"
"Well, to be honest I did not trust you in the first place. But thank you for saving Melinda! (In your sentence he once udes "you" and in the next sentence "they").Please colect 5..."
Most stuff i noticed isn't that important (or at all) but I still wanted to mention it.
Generally speaking, the Dialogues should be more often directed at the player (and not letting the npc talk about the players) and the players should talk (only from time to time) aswell.
You also use too many ",". In the english language you usually don't need them. (or at least not that many) But anyways, that's probably the least important problem.

And #Weapon modifiers for Dugi:
Sarting off with "sharp" is not good ( in my opinion).. I think the lowlvl items should be called:(in this order ca)
1broken
2rusty
3old
4used
5mass-producted (as a joke, or standard)
6polished
7sharpened (or sharp)
8quick
9cruel
10shining (glowing?)
11focused
12Draining
13Furious (=Fast)
14Magic? or leave Guided
15Leeching
16Merkur's (for hasty.. i cant think of any better)
17Ferocious
18Vicious
19Absorbing

And to the stats(idk if they have any effect currently) but the low-level weapons giving 85%damage and stuff are overpowered. I think the low-level-things should give maximum one attribute.. And only If the item is *Rare* (You make any item rare with f.e. 5%) will have 2.. (or you jast make those with 2 attributes more rare).. If its not difficult changing the name(or picture) afterwards you should do that too
Last edited by Oezi on May 29th, 2013, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.