Divide and Conquer, yet another small duel map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pg

Divide and Conquer, yet another small duel map

Post by pg »

I am sure many of you are wondering why I am making so many duel maps. It's mainly so my tournament will have a variety of good small duel maps to use(see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3428 ).

I was inspired to make this map because skel said my other maps didn't allow surprises. Due of the usage of canyon it is very possible to surprise your opponent. There are three passages through the middle and it's your decision which one will suit you best. If you commit substantial forces in one way you may surprise your opponent but suffer on other fronts.

EDIT: The zip file was messed up(didn't have .zip). Should be fixed now.
Last edited by pg on October 13th, 2004, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Fine but make some small 1vs1vs1 maps if you wanna make maps :wink:
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
pg

Post by pg »

I have to be honest I don't much like FFA as it seems diplomacy or lack of determines who wins. I will see what I can do however.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Mkgego wrote:make some small 1vs1vs1 maps:
um... why?
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Dacyn wrote:
Mkgego wrote:make some small 1vs1vs1 maps:
um... why?

It is boring to play "always" 1vs1 o 2vs2 o1vs1vs1vs1vs1...

I wanna a 1vs1vs1 and all my 1vs1vs1 maps are..."bad" :roll:
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Mkgego wrote:It is boring to play "always" 1vs1 o 2vs2 o1vs1vs1vs1vs1...
OK, but why 1V1V1?
Shade

This is off topic

Post by Shade »

This is off topic, but the problem with 3 way maps is that rectangles have four corners (I know, your saying, duh! Shade you moron go home!). This has implications for map design. It is easy to balance a 2 way, 4 way, or 5 way map, but it becomes much more difficult for maps that have other numbers of keeps. Ive tried my hand at 3 way maps and they never quite get the point where I show them in public...
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: This is off topic

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Shade wrote:This is off topic, but the problem with 3 way maps is that rectangles have four corners (I know, your saying, duh! Shade you moron go home!).
No, it's "Shade you moron, why have you forgotten cave wall padding?"
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

And the problem with 4 way maps is that Wesnoth is hex-based... this is why Total War was unbalanced.
BTW, I think non-rectangular maps would have been good if a good UI for them could have been developed...
And how do you do a 5 way map?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Dacyn wrote:And the problem with 4 way maps is that Wesnoth is hex-based... this is why Total War was unbalanced.
BTW, I think non-rectangular maps would have been good if a good UI for them could have been developed...
4 way works because there are four corners, even though Wesnoth uses a hex system. 5 (is less desirable) but can be done in a king of the hill type format, with the 5th keep in the centre so long as you carfully contrive the terrain and flow of the map enough to make the centre keep not always be the most desirable to rush by all sides at the start...

3 way makes the basic geometry a bit more complex. This is not to say it can not be done, just that it is more involved than plopping a keep in each corner, or opposite each other... (or even making a map with enough contrived geography that a central keep is feasible) Please note, this is just my opinion :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Shade wrote:
Dacyn wrote:And the problem with 4 way maps is that Wesnoth is hex-based... this is why Total War was unbalanced.
4 way works because there are four corners, even though Wesnoth uses a hex system.
it doesn't work with small maps, at least not well, because individual hexes matter more...
Shade wrote: 5 (is less desirable) but can be done in a king of the hill type format, with the 5th keep in the centre so long as you carfully contrive the terrain and flow of the map enough to make the centre keep not always be the most desirable to rush by all sides at the start...
thats not 5 way... its 4 way with an unoccupied keep.

Shade wrote:3 way makes the basic geometry a bit more complex. This is not to say it can not be done, just that it is more involved than plopping a keep in each corner, or opposite each other... (or even making a map with enough contrived geography that a central keep is feasible) Please note, this is just my opinion :)
Not really... you just do a triangle... this works because wesnoth is hex-based.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Shade

Argh!!!

Post by Shade »

Argh, against my better judgement I will reply. I was not suggesting (or I am sorry if I seemed like I was) that the centre keep be unoccupied (and on second thought 5 keeps is just as icky as 3, if not more so). Yes, the fact that we are dealing hexes does indeed matter. I will repeat, three keeps is not fundamentally impossible, or even that difficult, it just is not as simple as a keep in each corner (more or less), or two keeps opposite each other... Yeek, how about we just get back to talking about pg and his rather nice map :)

No more random, one paragraph musings on things, this is too much work ;)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The download link for this map from the tournament page is broken. Can someone repost this map so I can download it. I'm trying to watch the replays of the tournament.

Edit: Nevermind. Oddly enough, the maps used in the tournament aren't the exactly same as the maps linked to from the tournament download page. The map I'm actually looking for is Charge! I seems that "Divide and Conquer" wasn't used in the tournament.