The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

Re: The Altaz Mariners - MP Campaign, out now!

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

It seems as though this has not yet seen very much playtesting, though I can't blame you for that.

There are a lot of problems with stuff not carrying over correctly from scenario to scenario. For example: at the beginning of each scenario, Hugo and Largo start out as level ones with no experience, regardless of leveling up or gaining XP in previous levels. Gold is reset to 25 at the start of each new scenario. The recruit list does not carry over from scenario to scenario. On the battle scenarios, I can only recruit new units of whichever types are permitted in that scenario.

These problems make it difficult to play, and not very fun. There's so much work put into this, and it's such an amazing concept, that it's a shame that these little bugs ruin the fun. I hope to be able to play it soon without these issues. Please fix as soon as possible. :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Captain Wrathbow:

It sounds like you got yourself a broken save. Wesnoth does funny things when you reload an MP campaign save. Everything does carry over properly and it has been playtested. A lot.

Can you tell me if you were playing in single player mode? Your problem sounds like a specific and known bug that occurs when reloading MP campaigns in SP mode. See the list below.

Tips for safely reloading MP campaign games:

-Make sure the original host reloads the game.
-Never use a start of scenario save. Always use a manual save, created by the original host.
-Never use an end of scenario save (while the End Scenario button is visible)
-Never use the Back to Turn function. Ever. Not even when playing in SP.
-When loading a local game from the main menu, use multiplayer -> local game -> load game
-When saving in SP, make sure you refresh the cache before you reload. You can do this on the Wesnoth main title screen by hitting the F5 button. Or you can simply restart Wesnoth.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Captain_Wrathbow

Ohhh... sounds like that's definitely the problem.

Yes, I was just playing it by myself, controlling both sides... I got a bit angry with my woses in the battle on Elixion and save-loaded once or twice. :oops:
My mistake, then. I'll be sure to follow those tips from now on.

Thanks for the help! :)
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Looks fun; is it worth trying alone (that is, without a second player)? Or will that really break some intended events (such as 2 players somehow competing with each other)?

Also,
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Screen
you use so many custom images but you still use those old horrible city villages instead of the new ones?
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Looks fun; is it worth trying alone?
Of course it's worth trying alone. In some ways, it will actually be easier. There is a lot of dialogue and that is not always MP friendly. And with only 2 sides, there is not much additional burden.

Just be sure to adhere to the MP campaign reloading tips. It's not as save/load friendly as SP campaigns.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
boru

Post by boru »

Really loved the isle of Hellenia. Maybe you ought to randomize the philosophers somewhat, since I expect this will be a very popular add-on and walkthoughs shouldn't be too easy. If the king on Hellenia does anything at all, I missed it btw.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

jb wrote:-Make sure the original host reloads the game.
-Never use a start of scenario save. Always use a manual save, created by the original host.
-Never use the Back to Turn function. Ever. Not even when playing in SP.
-When saving in SP, make sure you refresh the cache before you reload. You can do this on the Wesnoth main title screen by hitting the F5 button. Or you can simply restart Wesnoth.
Even following these (playing TAM as local game), I get carryover problems.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Even following these (playing TAM as local game), I get carryover problems.
Bugger.

Can you provide any specifics?
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Not much to provide. I have a manually saved savegame where I'm on sea, the heroes have 21 & 22 XP. I exit the program, start it again and load the savegame. I enter hideout for the first time, kill the people there, gain XP, exit the hideout to the world map, and then again I have 21 & 22 XP.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

How are you loading the savegame? I believe another important thing (when loading a local game) is to not load the save from the main menu, but to do multiplayer -> local game -> load game.
I've run afoul of these issues too; there's a sizable chunk of code in Wesband dedicated to storing character & side data at the end of scenarios, detecting whether the game has been loaded from a save, and if so replacing all the damaged data from the backup variables. :(
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Exasperation wrote:How are you loading the savegame? I believe another important thing (when loading a local game) is to not load the save from the main menu, but to do multiplayer -> local game -> load game.
Right you are, I loaded it the wrong way!

EDIT: Works now.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just for the record, I have flagged up this bug here. There's already a warning in one of the intro screens to our campaign, but I guess I will make it more explicit.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Sorry if this is moving too far off-topic, but perhaps it would be a good idea to have a list somewhere of ways to avoid potential MP save-load problems? To the list above I would add the following, which causes a scenario to be lost immediately upon loading the save in 2p Campaign Battle System:

- Never use an end of scenario save (while the End Scenario button is visible).
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

I started it again & played to the end (of act I & II); some notes:
Spoiler:
Overall, a great campaign, with excellent writing! I much appreciated the hints of whether you have something more to do in a place or not.
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm loving this campaign! (now that I've figured out how to load safely) However I have two suggestions:

1) On most of the scenarios with time limits, the time limits are too short. I have a feeling that during playtesting, you two super-skilled Wesnoth players were able to easily win in that time, and overestimated the abilities of average players. (like me) I found that the time limits were the biggest challenge in any given scenario. I'd suggest giving some more time on the battle scenarios.

2) Why so much swearing? I understand that it is pirate-themed and these are sailors and all, but... it's just too much. The constant swearing makes me almost not want to play. It really adds very little to the campaign, (That is, the campaign wouldn't be any worse off without the swearing) and could potentially hurt its popularity, by alienating players who would otherwise like it, but dislike the swearing.