The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Altaz Mariners - finally finished!

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Icarium.

Glad you're enjoying the campaign. Here's a tip:
Spoiler:
Hope that helps!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Nagage

Post by Nagage »

Let me just say this has been great campaign so far! I just seem a bit stuck at a few parts. At the isle of neafsey, I can't seem to reach the brothers as the paths will not open up. And at solant tower, I am putting in the same equilateral triangle and it doesn't trigger anything. If you could let me know what I'm doing wrong that would be great! Thanks in advance!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Nagage. Here's some tips:
Spoiler: Isle Of Neafsey:
Spoiler: Solant Tower:
Let us know how you get on.
My current projects:
Nagage

Post by Nagage »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Hi Nagage. Here's some tips:
Spoiler: Isle Of Neafsey:
Spoiler: Solant Tower:
Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for that! Helped a lot!
Xelthor

Re: The Altaz Mariners (the non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by Xelthor »

Ive played this for a bit and have cleared all the Islands north of the storm and done the sea monster subquest, and most everything except get higher than lv1 in the Ivory Tower and kill the scorpions (Ive killed all of them twice, but havent gotten anything from Wuhac for it). I cant seem to go anywhere else or find anything, or go one turn without Royals attacking me, which seems really repetetive over time. Is there any option where you dont engage the ship and instead you use your ship's cannons or something to resolve it without it going to a whole new scenario?
Ive tried going to the Brotherhood of Ice and asking about the clouds, but even though ive heard the rumors and whatnot at both ports multiple times, it doesnt appear as an option. Also, when I go down there, Nippy (who is now under my control and has been for a long time) disapears and never reapears, without any dialouge or anything, is that supposed to happen?
Its an awesome campaign, but I feel kind of lost, any hints or something regarding what I should do?
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"
--Gandhi
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
--Thomas Jefferson
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

I had the same problem the first time I played through the campaign (with the second option how to attack Liberty Island, it has an exceptionally high replay value). Back then, I edited the scenario file of the temple of ice in order to proceed.

The reason seems to be that - although I respected the rules about making saves - the variable whether you heard about the rumours was corrupted in my savefile. Try to speak with Athos about the storm and then directly go to the temple without saving in between, it helped in my second playthrough.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Xelthor.

I'm not sure, but this might be your problem:
Spoiler:
Admittedly this is pretty obscure, since it is hidden from the player and quite easy to miss. We should probably revise it in the next version.
My current projects:
Dirtshifter

Post by Dirtshifter »

As most people I am enjoying this, but I'm stuck. Can't get to pick up the orb to drop the storm barrier. have read through the previous posts but no help. I have seen the storm and the characters told me to steer away, have listened to the rumours of the storm, spoken to cold fist about it and can't get fang to talk about it. Also nippy (now an ostrasised sorcerer) as a follower disappeared when I revisited the ice temple and hasn't come back . Have sailed round and round spoken to every npc possible, gold coming out of my ears and enough troops to win world war three.
Ok done now, giving money to the temple as the last post sujested but what happened to the sorcerer?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Since two people have got stuck on that part I will definitely revise it. However, there is another way to get the orb...
Spoiler:
As for Nippy vanishing, that's a bug. Nippy is removed from the Ice Temple when you return after dobbing him in. However, this also means he is also removed (and never to be seen again) if he visits as your follower. Sorry about that, only recently discovered this whilst playing through it myself.
My current projects:
Dirtshifter

Post by Dirtshifter »

Sorry you misunderstood my last sentance (which was edited later ).
I didn't understand that I upset the poor sorcerers by opening the gate to the mana orb room several times or rather till I couldn't find any more keys (4 I think) to leval up my followers and to check if I could pick up the orb. After reading the spoiler on the previous post to mine I paid coldfist a few times and everything worked fine.
As for Nippy lets kill him in the fight and instead get Chilton who thinks his father is unproud of him. Ok you have to then leval him up as a follower but thats part of the game, and you get a choice which way to leval him up.
I'm impressed by this campaign, others that I have been impressed by in the past have since become main line so there's being hopefull for you and your team.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I would have two suggestions for terrains.

First: There where 2 cartographic map styles posted in the art workshop. I would assume this would be nice to be included in a campaign like yours.

Second: Using the castle for ships is nice. However it would be possible to exploit the castle code to make a real good looking ship with custom terrain. Ships would most likely have to line up in the 6 main directions. (Not left to right). A simple thing to start with are the planks. No ship has diagonal planks they go always from front to back. A helm (as castle file) with a cool looking steering wheel could be created reasonable simple too. You might have villages-files on the ship. Specific terrain design would help a lot. Getting away from the zigzagging ship outlines should be possible too. There is a possibility to make castle walls straight like dungeon walls. Probably adding shields and oars or so to the "ship wall".
Dirtshifter

Post by Dirtshifter »

Bob_The_Mighty.
Its nice that you can swap the followers between the two characters, could the same be done for the recall list so the one can balance the teams. For instance if you buy slaves its quicker for Largo to buy and then his follower put you back aboard ship and off you go. Perhaps this could be done while at sea between moving the ship and not actually recalling them or a free recall like some other senarios have and then swap teams.
Another point and this might just be me but I for some reason keep forgetting Ratty in battle ( keep him out harms way a bit because he is a beserker) so I go back and start the last turn. Lets say that it is Hugos dog. Sometims when reloading the last turn it is hugo's other times it goes all the way back to Largo?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Actually it would be nice to play only one side. Maybe a macro could take care of this? Using the difficulty choice function in the beginning might be a nice option to chose between one or two player mode.

The thread is a bit misleading. And there is need for further hints. This revisiting characters and re questioning them for crucial game advances is tedious. Basically opening all szenarios files in an editor and searching all files for certain code words is helping a lot.

There is a trading bug. When the ship is full the buy option is supposed to change the color. Instead you have the buy option twice.

The map for Slavenia was not showing up many times. The shelf searching in the temple seems to be possible only once per entering the Ice Temple. I had to enter 3 times after I did know, what I was looking for.

The encounter on the sea are tedious. The enemy AI is not attacking. To wait 10 round you have to press 40 buttons! End turn 10 times for each side and "you really want to end your turn?" another 20 times. I would change this favored wind option from round 7 or 10 to round 1.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks for all the feedback.

Dirtshifter - Glad you are enjoying it. Can I ask why you didn't you just take the orb if you had the key? I happen to agree that Ratty is a bit useless as a follower. Never been able to keep him alive either.

Wussel - I would be happy to improve the ship terrain, but neither me nor jb are artists. I used the best stuff I could find. Could you tell me which bits in particular have made you feel the need to cheat/search the files? Obviously we don't want people to have to do that. I tried to make the dialogue and puzzles a challenge, but I may have gone too far in some places. I'd like to know which parts you found difficult to work out. As for the sea battles, I think we need to make the AI more aggressive. Ideally, it would work best with an option to control only one side, but it would require a lot of work (if it is even possible). I shall wait and see how the planned advances in functionality for MP campaigns comes along.
My current projects:
Dirtshifter

Post by Dirtshifter »

Well you will be glad to know that Ratty is indeed alive atleast in my game and I have his hp at 62. He very useable on the human pirate ship, useally takes out three crew one of them being the captain after hugo has hit him one turn. Also occasionly a stragler bolts away from the fight and boards your ship to run away, well good old ratty is there waiting for such a time.
As for the key or keys because I definately had three, two the first time I visited the temple and another the next time, but after that I forget, visited it so many times trying to get fang to give the right conversation. Obviously its written in somewhere there that your charactors can't pick up the orb untill fang has the right speech dialog, by which time I had used all the keys.
Still have two keys for the ivory tower. I got into the right side dorm but it won't let me back in and I never got into the left side. should I be able to???
If you decide to make the sea battles more aggressive which would be good after a certain stage in the game ( after receiving the freebie troops from the three islands)then the amount of gold available would have to be increased. Perhaps allowing the villages on board the ships to actually have a income woulb be enough.