The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gregorius

Re: The Altaz Mariners - MP Campaign, out now!

Post by Gregorius »

I went to the storm walls, heard bout the rumors, went to morteu, then talking to the guys in the temple.
Spoiler:
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

On the actual island or inside the building?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Gregorius

Post by Gregorius »

inside the temple
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Gregorius, can we use spoiler tags for your penultimate post?

Both Faello and Blarumyrran have mentioned getting caught out without enough gold or recalls to deal with a battle. jb and I decided to prevent players from simply setting sail if things get too difficult. Obviously, it would be horribly complicated if we allowed this, and would probably break story parts.

I am tempted to suggest that players should endeavour to be prepared and try to carry extra gold in case of emergencies. However, most campaigns set you up for tough fights by giving a bonus or altering the carryover gold, etc. I would like to try and find a solution that didn't encourage save/loading.

a) What if the number of available recruit hexes indicated how many recalls/recruits would be suitable? For example, if you land on an island and find yourself next to a castle with three castle spots, you'd know that three recruits/recalls would make for an averagely difficult battle. Recruiting or recalling more than three units would be tantamount to choosing a easier/harder difficulty level. On the down side, this would make map design less flexible and give us less scope for setting up unexpected battles.

b) We could also have chevron icons on the world map showing how hard the fight is. Farmville would have one chevron, Dahazi two, and so on. Would this ruin the element of surprise and the sense of exploration?

c) We could deal with it in-game, as it were, by having something like a fortune teller who warns you of islands in return for a gold piece.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
DEATH_is_undead

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: a) What if the number of available recruit hexes indicated how many recalls/recruits would be suitable? For example, if you land on an island and find yourself next to a castle with three castle spots, you'd know that three recruits/recalls would make for an averagely difficult battle. Recruiting or recalling more than three units would be tantamount to choosing a easier/harder difficulty level. On the down side, this would make map design less flexible and give us less scope for setting up unexpected battles.
I care to object to this, just [terrain] encampment on the x,y of the unit of the appropriate number of hexs of castle.
Edit:
Spoiler:
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

DEATH_is_undead wrote: I care to object to this, just [terrain] encampment on the x,y of the unit of the appropriate number of hexs of castle.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain?

Also, do you think you could send me a save file from the temple? I'd like to see how you got stuck and check whether you ran into a bug.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Gregorius

Post by Gregorius »

i think he means giving the terrain a castle or keep overlay, allowing you to recruit where there is no visible castle (the overlayed terrain is shown white on the minimap)
btw you might want to change the sound when they release the wolf in the first scenario, the Yeti sound seems rather like he's dieing than hunting :|
Faello

Post by Faello »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:(...)
I am tempted to suggest that players should endeavour to be prepared and try to carry extra gold in case of emergencies. However, most campaigns set you up for tough fights by giving a bonus or altering the carryover gold, etc. I would like to try and find a solution that didn't encourage save/loading.

(...)

b) We could also have chevron icons on the world map showing how hard the fight is. Farmville would have one chevron, Dahazi two, and so on. Would this ruin the element of surprise and the sense of exploration?

c) We could deal with it in-game, as it were, by having something like a fortune teller who warns you of islands in return for a gold piece.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.
I like your ideas Bob, I think that option b) sounds best - it could be connected with option c) OR you could connect it with some specific dialogs OR both => map would be chevron-free, until player would enter into a converstation with some specific NPC about a situation on this or that island (in return for a gold piece or for free) and after this conversation, chevron icon would appear on the proper island :)
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Why not have a difficulty rate in the objectives?
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Because by the time you get the scenario's objectives, it is too late to decide not to sail there. I like Faello's suggestion. Another one could be having the oracle on your ship (after some event?) and she would prompt a dialog when you sail to an island, where she asks if you want to scry the island (i.e. know difficulty, maybe some tips), possibly using up some kind of ressource, or just downright gold coins. Just so you wouldn't have to sail out of your way to consult the oracle. This could also be mixed with the chevrons, as sughested by Faello.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
DEATH_is_undead

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:
DEATH_is_undead wrote: I care to object to this, just [terrain] encampment on the x,y of the unit of the appropriate number of hexs of castle.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain?
I mean, once the battle starts, make encampment terrain (with the keep directly on the unit) and how-ever many castles needed surrounding the unit (while making sure there are no terrain changes next to them; in other words, no castle over castle, make a hex in another position.
Also, do you think you could send me a save file from the temple? I'd like to see how you got stuck and check whether you ran into a bug.
Most updated (before I cheated with the unit to get to the last island).
Attachments
Temple_of_Ice_Turn_29.gz
(71.12 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'm unable to recall my past troops, and the leaders turn back to level one after each victory, I managed to level Largo to lvl 3.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

You seem to have the same problem Wrathbow had:
jb wrote:Captain Wrathbow:

It sounds like you got yourself a broken save. Wesnoth does funny things when you reload an MP campaign save. Everything does carry over properly and it has been playtested. A lot.

Can you tell me if you were playing in single player mode? Your problem sounds like a specific and known bug that occurs when reloading MP campaigns in SP mode. See the list below.

Tips for safely reloading MP campaign games:

-Make sure the original host reloads the game.
-Never use a start of scenario save. Always use a manual save, created by the original host.
-Never use an end of scenario save (while the End Scenario button is visible)
-Never use the Back to Turn function. Ever. Not even when playing in SP.
-When loading a local game from the main menu, use multiplayer -> local game -> load game
-When saving in SP, make sure you refresh the cache before you reload. You can do this on the Wesnoth main title screen by hitting the F5 button. Or you can simply restart Wesnoth.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Also make sure you load by going to Multiplayer, then Load Game...
Not just the Load Game option in the main menu.
Bjartmarr

Post by Bjartmarr »

Is this supposed to be played in Bob's RPG era? Or just the default era? When I try to use the former, my units disappear and I'm defeated as soon as I create my character.

Apologies if the era to be used is specified somewhere. I looked but didn't see it.