The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: The Altaz Mariners (the non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Mike. Thanks for your comments, sorry it's taken a while to reply. I don't have much time at the moment to work on this, and it seems I have a LONG list of fixes and improvements to make (though I kept up with changes during the first half of your adventure).

So you started like five months ago? And you say you'd like it go to on even longer?? :) I guess that must mean the campaign has something going for it! Of course, the storyline isn't entirely wrapped up as we had vaguely planned to make a second part - but that was before we realised how much work was involved in fleshing out what we have. It's really nice to know there are others on the same wavelength in terms of appreciating the attention to detail in the dialogue and world building. Seems you enjoy the same mix of puzzles and tactical challenges too.

I actually intended The Crossing scenario to be played as a kind of cat-and-mouse chase. The fact the players are outgunned as they transport the troops across the strait means they have to rely on staying out of harm's way and using their greater mobility to sneak through where they can. I'm impressed you got stuck in and still made it. Nice to know it's doable that way too.

As for the other two final battles, I think I'll make them a bit tougher. Good point about the lighting and terrain. I also think allowing the computer to spend their gold on higher levels unit would help them make the most of their gold bonus. Then again, I think you were well prepared and did a great job of training your team. The screenshot you posted is hilarious - Sir Bollon must have been somewhat surprised to see that vast army splashing through the sewers.

Anyway, I appreciate all the effort you put in to play through the buggy parts, and to report your progress in a way that was both really useful and entertaining to follow. Best feedback ever, it's official.
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on July 23rd, 2018, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
The_Nisse2

Post by The_Nisse2 »

I've followed the Altaz Mariners since just about the beginning and absolutely loved it! I hope someday it will be brought to 1.14
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Hey Bob,

I've been really enjoying your campaign here! I've been playing it with a friend of mine, and regardless of a few hiccups, we've been having a blast.

I wanted to report a bug!
Whenever your leader unit gain a new strike as player 2 or the poacher, Hugo, it doesn't actually give your character a new strike but a new 0-1 attack. Additionally, the player 1 leader, Largo, will lose these strikes/contributions when they advance in level. I think the same might occur for Hugo too, but I cannot confirm because he doesn't actually get the strikes/damage added.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hi Tribes55. Glad you're enjoying it. Can you tell me which version of the campaign you are using? And which version of Wesnoth are you playing it on? I remember that bug, but I thought it was fixed a long time ago.
My current projects:
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Hey Bob!

You might be right that it's fixed, but I was under the impression that the latest version of the campaign was available on version 1.10.
Was I wrong there?

The version is 2.2 :)

If I may ask, what is the latest version available on, as in, what version of Wesnoth?

Thanks!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey Tribes. Just had a look and you're right. The last official version of the campaign was 2.2 for Wesnoth 1.10. Which was five years ago! That was quite a shock and a good incentive to get the new version ported and polished...
My current projects:
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Can't wait for the next update!

Edit:

I'd like to clarify if I wasn't so sure in my last bug report that the bug regarding the modification to Hugo's attack. It creates an additional form of attack, separate from melee or bow, as if it's something else entirely.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Just a little update to say that lots of headway has been made on the campaign. jb is recording some more voice-over tracks for the story screens, I've ironed out innumerable bugs and also added tons of little details like new puzzles, upgrades and subquests. There's even a couple of new islands to discover. Should be ready at some point next month... I hope it's worth the wait.
My current projects:
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Oh boy, I can't wait! It's going to be awesome. :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

If you are fine with releasing it a bit early, I intend to start it pretty much as soon as you release it, and will of course report bugs as I find them. So, releasing it early might actually help you finishing it faster. xD
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

It's finally ready! I've just uploaded version 3.0 of The Altaz Mariners to the add-ons server for Wesnoth 1.14.

This is a non-linear two-player campaign following the swashbuckling adventures of two brothers on the open sea. Players can navigate their own path through the story - trading goods, boarding ships, solving puzzles and completing subquests. Combat ranges from RPG-style fights and squad skirmishes to full-scale battles. You can either play it as you would a normal single player campaign (though you'll have to control 2 sides) or you can play it as intended with a friend by creating a game in the MP lobby and selecting it from the scenario list.

Here's what you can expect...
34 islands to investigate, conquer and loot - many consisting of several mini scenarios or alternate endings
33 inventory items to find and use to solve puzzles and unlock subquests
30 subquests to complete - all of which are recorded in your ship's log along with clues and reminders
18 random encounters to discover as you sail the seas - including ghost ships, boarding parties and rare easter eggs
12 custom portraits made by Bear/bera especially for this campaign
10 special attacks for your leaders which improve the more you use them
8 cutscenes with unique story art and audio narration courtesy of jb
8 figureheads to collect which offer a range of upgrades for your recruits
8 followers with distinctive dialogue which can be recalled for free
7 trainers which allow your leaders and followers to acquire extra abilities
6 ship types for naval battles, from longboats and frigates to galleons with incendiary mortars
5 years since the last update and we've been tinkering with it ever since
2 brothers seeking revenge for a ruthless family betrayal
1 long year spent on the prison island of Altaz...

For those foolish enough to want details, here's the changelog since the last update.
Spoiler:
Please let me know if you spot any bugs or have any crazy new ideas. The last playtester suggested tons of stuff that is now in the campaign. Have fun!
My current projects:
tribes55

Re: The Altaz Mariners (MP pirate campaign now on 1.14!)

Post by tribes55 »

I've been anticipating this! Can't wait! Thanks, Bob!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Great news Bob!

This is such a massive project. I've dug into the archives and found our original first notes.

Over 8 years of development!

I want to share part of that first note. It's like looking at the napkin lyrics of a famous musician. Sort of. Okay, not really but it's still cool.
Spoiler:
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I just tested this campaign and it gave me a "failed to load the scenario" error. (This in particular made me look bad becasue i reccomended this campaign to someone that asked me for an idea what campaign could be played with 2 players)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.