The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Altaz Mariners (MP pirate campaign now on 1.14!)

Post by Konrad2 »

Konrad2 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 8:04 pm Click for more stuff.

The Ivory Tower
The Dunefolk leader says that this place houses the library of the 'Khalifate'. But they are called Dunefolk now.

Hideout / Moira
Moira explaines the brews in a different order than the list where you can pick the brews. That can be somewhat confusing.

Merman Rescue/Ghost Ship/Pirate Raid
The scenario can only be ended by setting sail. (I'm pointing this out because the scenario objectives suggest that the scenario would also end once I've defeated all enemies.)

Deep Inside
Using a Sea Serpent in the related encounter on the world map instead of a Water Serpent would make more sense.
tribes55 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 10:59 pm The Isle of Neafsay
How do we end the scenario? We killed the witches, got everyone on the ship. Scenario didn't end. It seems like there's no way to win.
Same problem. I resorted to using debug mode and :cl.

Fort Bastille / Tavern
I know that 'get sloshed' costs 8 gold, but this time I went to the Tavern with Hugo and it displayed '3 gold' as the prize. I think that's wrong because that option was red despite me having 6 gold.
TAM 1P-Fort Bastille-Auto-Save9.gz
Tavern
(152.3 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Chewan wrote: August 31st, 2018, 7:08 pm I'd very much like to play this campaign in single-player mode, but I just cannot make that happen ... (TAM 3.0, BfW 1.14.3, Win7)
I'm not sure what the problem is, but perhaps try it on 1.14.4?

gfgtdf wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:40 pm hmm i think if you start a [campaign] it looks for [scenario] and not for [multiplayer].
gfgtdf, any idea how I get it to work from the multiplayer and single-player campaign menus? It used to work okay both ways (a couple of versions ago).

All of the scenarios are wrapped in this...
Spoiler:
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 10:59 pm gfgtdf, any idea how I get it to work from the multiplayer and single-player campaign menus? It used to work okay both ways (a couple of versions ago).
You can have it appear in both singleplayer and multiplayer, what currenty does not work is having appear in both the map campaigns list and the mp scenarios list. So you have two options:

1) To make it work form the sp campaigns menu and in the mp campaigns menu, just remove all #ifdef MULTIPLAYER blocks (in paeticular the [multiplayer] wrapping), basicially making it behave as if there was a #undef MULTIPLAYER line right on top of your _main.cfg, this is also how the mainline campaign does it Legend of wesmere

2) To make it work form the sp campaigns menu and in the mp scenarios menu, remove the type=hybrid line from your [campaign], this doesnt work completely though because the campaign will still be broken if accecced form the sp campaigns submenu of the mp create screen (multipler->sp campaigns, (don't aks me why that exists))

option (1) would also fix the injection if images into othe mp scenarions (the hero local icon i meationed before) so i really recocomend option 1, option1 does have the disadvantgage though that older multiplayer saves form your campaign wont't load unless people fix them manually (with a texteditor)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

So, there is a new update for this campaign. It is possible to load TAM 3.1 either through the normal single-player campaign menu, or via the multiplayer game set-up screen. You'll find it under multiplayer campaigns now, rather than on the scenario list.

I also took the opportunity to fix the bugs reported on this thread and a few others I spotted myself.

Thanks, gfgtdf, that was really helpful. I've gone for option 1.
My current projects:
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: The Altaz Mariners (multiplayer pirate campaign)

Post by gfgtdf »

so let me tell people what they need to do too fix their multiplayer TAM saves:

if you open your saves they'll begin with something like

Code: Select all

version="1.14.4"
abbrev=""
campaign=""
campaign_define=""
campaign_extra_defines=""
campaign_name=""
campaign_type="multiplayer"
difficulty="NORMAL"
end_credits=yes
end_text=""
end_text_duration=0
era_define=""
label="Altaz Gaol"
mod_defines=""
oos_debug=no
random_mode=""
scenario_define=""
version="1.14.4"
[multiplayer]
	active_mods=""
	experience_modifier=150
	hash="FWpKaSgKEbWqpAwaa.A7gHgxiT,5xToOhfQ+5Qv2hA4pz0q<zssEzaOAacZ7y1r6Ddi7rIm+tpAka8PkBxw<<7V,t6F5hw3D2.A-7lwmO6.Kc-gD6MfbZZ<-NI3iaMTE"
	mp_campaign=""
	mp_countdown=no
	mp_countdown_action_bonus=13
	mp_countdown_init_time=270
	mp_countdown_reservoir_time=330
	mp_countdown_turn_bonus=60
the important keys are:

campaign=""
campaign_define=""
campaign_extra_defines=""
campaign_name=""
mp_campaign=""
you have to change them to

campaign="The_Altaz_Mariners"
campaign_define="CAMPAIGN_TAM_SP"
campaign_extra_defines="ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE,ENABLE_DWARVISH_ARCANISTER,ENABLE_DWARVISH_RUNESMITH,ENABLE_ANCIENT_LICH,ENABLE_DEATH_KNIGHT,ENABLE_TROLL_SHAMAN,ENABLE_WOLF_ADVANCEMENT"
campaign_name="The Altaz Mariners"
mp_campaign="The_Altaz_Mariners"
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
McCallister

Post by McCallister »

Played through this the other week with my friend and it has reset my expectations too unfairly for any further campaign I play! I remember playing this 5 years back with another friend and then we weren't able to find it on the Add Ons a year or two later. The second we saw it we IMMEDIATELY hoped on the chance to play. Bob you actually spectated us at one point and we were like "OH MY GOD HE'S THE GUY WHO MADE IT" but unfortunately my friend had to get up so we were taking a break and i didn't see most of your messages until you left.

To answer a question you asked, the crypt in the south (cant remember the exact name of the place, but it was pretty much as south as you can get on the map) was pretty fun. The only complaint I had, which is fairly minor, is figuring out how to kill the "hidden" boss was fairly unrewarding. We didn't get much XP and there was no other loot to be found in that area. Maybe we figured out the puzzle too easily on how to get out at the very end.

The only other complaint I have is
companion spoiler:

Beyond that some hints on the companions would be neat. We are on the final mission now and I think we may have tarried a bit too long but we are somewhat eager to see if us and our companions can handle the task.
companions we found:

Overall, this is by far the best add on I have ever played for battle for wesnoth! Thank you so much for it.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Another message I see when using the editor:
Spoiler:
Try out the dark board theme.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I sated playing this campaign and its very good sofar, some minor suggestions:

1) in multiplayer the saves still begin with TAM 1P i suggest to make it TAM 2P there like

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
abbrev= _ "TAM_2P"
#else
abbrev= _ "TAM_1P"
#endig
in [campaign]

2) the 'do you want to overwrite the replay save' dialog when laevoing the world map is annoying i suggest to add replay_save=no to all [endlevel] that leave the world map. (this maybe applies to commonly used islands without combat aswel)

3) Whenever i click the endturn button the ame freezes for like 1-2 seconds, in scenarios where you have to move lot with your heroes this becomes a little annoying, i tried to investigate it, but i coudl find the casue of this though. EDIT: actuall thinking about it i'm quite sure it is the autosaves not sure what to do here

EDIT: another bug:

in the scenario reff town i get an erromessage about invalid attribute [unit] in [scenario]
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

more bugs:

4) In 'Griply' a converted peasant is blocking the entrace to my boat.

5) The game often freezes when entering the world map, not exactly sure why but i had to restert wesnoth a few times becasue of this. EDIT: i now think its related to soudns in particular the 'disable misuc when wesnoth looses focus' option since it alwas seems to happen when i use another programm during loadingscreen.

6) Im unable to get rid of the gravedigger curse at the fountain.

anoter suggestion:

Currently the leadership ability only effects units fromt he same side. In particular in scenarioes where each side onyl controls <= units this makes it rather weak. I think it's be better of it'd effect your partners units aswell, doing this woudl also encourage player to play more together, instead of encouraging them to give all units to the same player to get more advantages form that leadership.
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Ahoy there!

Good to see the campaign updated and re-released; I've been busy in real life the last few months, but just suddenly had a pang of curiosity to drop by - glad I did!

I'll definitely be downloading the newest version and having a play-through again, to see how things have changed - and glad to see you chaps getting lots of positive feedback too; much-deserved!

Keep up the great work fellas 8)
Schleimpilz

Post by Schleimpilz »

Kraken vs. Naga encounter doesn't have a victory. Neither killing all enemies nor waiting for the "The winds favor us..." message allows you to end the scenario (only had the encounter once though, idk if its just me or its an actual bug)

Edit: happened to me another time, same issue
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

There's a new update of this campaign on the add-on server. The Altaz Mariners version 3.2 addresses all the issues reported on the thread above and fixes several minor bugs I'd spotted myself. I also threw in a few new random encounters to keep it varied.

mikeanthony - Cheers for dropping by! Did you get round to trying it out again? I implemented lots of the ideas you came up with and added a wad of new stuff since your amazing playtest.

gfgtdf - Thanks for reporting all those bugs. I'm not sure about the freeze you mentioned, but the rest should be fixed.

McCallister - Glad you enjoyed it so much. There are 8 followers in total, which includes the two ogres, so you weren't far off. I've fixed the swimming issue too.
My current projects:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:01 am
gfgtdf - Thanks for reporting all those bugs. I'm not sure about the freeze you mentioned, but the rest should be fixed.
Thx for the fixes,

About the freezes it depends on which one you mean as I reported two freezes (3) and (5) in my list above. (5) looks like an engine bug that you cannot fix. (3) most likely means that the savefile generated by this campaigns are too big to be written efficiently, this can be fixed but it requires quite some work as in first figuring out what is actually so big and second how to optimize it.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

gfgtdf wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:18 amAbout the freezes it depends on which one you mean as I reported two freezes (3) and (5) in my list above. (5) looks like an engine bug that you cannot fix. (3) most likely means that the savefile generated by this campaigns are too big to be written efficiently, this can be fixed but it requires quite some work as in first figuring out what is actually so big and second how to optimize it.
I've not encountered either freeze, but then I've not played it through properly for a while. Would 5) be helped by reducing the size or number of macros called every scenario?
gfgtdf wrote: October 1st, 2018, 11:27 pm 2) the 'do you want to overwrite the replay save' dialog when laevoing the world map is annoying i suggest to add replay_save=no to all [endlevel] that leave the world map. (this maybe applies to commonly used islands without combat aswel)
Also, I forgot to mention that there is an option in preferences>general to turn off 'save replays at the end of scenarios'.
My current projects:
TenmaAndValerya

Post by TenmaAndValerya »

First of all, would love to say that this a really awesome campaign. Thanks so much Bob the Mighty you rock! Second I was curious how to get the items from Thantos Jungle you need for the healing training on Elixion? Is it the statue? I was hoping not because it's got some nice buffs. The only other thing I can think of are the tablets and I'm not sure what to do with those.