The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mikeanthony

Re: The Altaz Mariners (the non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by mikeanthony »

I may have been slightly premature when I said there were no more locations we hadn't explored;
We decided to have a good check around the perimeter of the map for this palace, and realised we'd missed Slavenia, hidden away in the far north-west!

Well, that was an interesting cookie. the leadership training is very tempting, we might be back for that. Ideally, I guess we'd put that on a unit that could get to level 4; but we'll see what comes up.
200 gold for another follow felt a bit pricey; I guess you'd only need to go into ten battles with him for that to pay off, and I guess we'll face more than ten more just in random sea skirmishes, so maybe worth it... we'll need to decide on that one soon.
Now, slave-trading... we had a bit of a debate about this, trying to decide whether we wanted to start buying slaves (did that count as liberating them? or supporting the trade? interesting ethical dilemmas!) - we definitely weren't going to start selling our hard-promoted units into slavery (although we did do it as a test on a save-load experiment, just to see if the mechanics worked - their reaction was quite understandable!).
Maybe the two of us are just a bit too steeped in 21st century ethics to make good high-fantasy pirates; we couldn't bring ourselves to raid farmville, we can't bring ourselves to get involved in slaving... maybe we need to be a bit more cut-throat...
Anyhow, for those who aren't so ethically conflicted, I think I spot a nice money-spinning bug here; when you sell a unit, you get more gold than it costs. I guess this is necessary, to offset the fact that you have to pay 20 gold to recall it, in order to then sell it.
However, if you buy one of the slaves in the cells, you can promptly march them down and sell then back at the same elevated prices; margins vary a bit randomly but I was profiting by about 15-20 gold per slave buying and selling all the slaves here. Feels a bit beardy, if not downright broken.
I guess you could easily put a choke-mechanism on that, e.g. you can't sell back a slave you just bought; (the orc chief could gruffly say "no returns!" or somesuch). That way you'd have to pay recall costs to sell them on a later visit, so you can't play the system quite the same. Even orcs shouldn't be stupid enough or forgetful enough to cut such a bad deal in quick succession...
Just on that one, when you go to buy a slave, you only have the option to buy 3 of the 4 who are visible on-screen in the cells; is that intentional? It's unfortunate if the one you really want is the missing fourth one...
p.s. we appreciated the dialog with Ully... a bit cruel, but then this is an orc island, who would expect less? At any rate, "it's all good exercise", as my dad used to say... ;)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

It's really hard to refrain from jumping in with help and hints. All I'll say is that some islands won't appear on the map until you trigger certain dialogue or find an item, etc. Someone must have told you about Slavenia, there are other islands like this.

I think the Ratty/Naga idea is great, I'll definitely put that in the next version. And good spot on the slave reselling exploit, I've sorted that now. One of the slaves can't be bought, but don't go thinking you'll be able to rescue him. The campaign has some deliberate dead ends, it also has bits that were put in and never carried through. I think this is fine, as far as the players are concerned. Not everything you come across in this world is there to serve your ends!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Quite agree, it's good to have a few dead ends, red herrings, and entirely inexplicable turns, now and then (Wesnoth is a luck-based game after all); I guess just like on the micro-scale, where you manage risks and luck from click-to-click, so strategically you are managing risk too!

(so definitely don't jump in with any hints until we get really stuck perhaps!

Oh, by the way, when we got the AMLU on our lead characters, we didn't lose our weapon bonus stats; although I guess you've fixed this issue now anyway.

Still really, really enjoying this one. A quick update on the temple of ice coming up...
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

It's been another session of exploring, and trying to work out what we need to do to advance the plot a bit...

Searching around, we realised we hadn't visited the temple of ice down in the south-east. We had a hunch that this might be the key to resolving the storm barrier, so we could journey south (maybe to find the royal palace, and Marco?)

However, first we had to actually get into the temple, which proved enough to completely throw us!

This was a brilliant bit of riddling, so simple, once you know - but it almost drove us nuts trying to work it out; "three must be as one"... skin for bones and clothes for stones... warmth to be found... we were stumped. Running with the three as one, we tried various combinations of sticking our characters on each stone, or running from stone to stone; we thought maybe sticking three heads on one thing might work; putting the skulls in our inventory on the statue, or something to do with the hydra (that's got three heads, right)? maybe levelling sayer up to be a three-headed ghast?

(Needless to say, none of these had anything to do with it! I'm not going to spoil the riddle by giving anything away, beyond saying we were making it far too complicated for ourselves...)

I would say, once again, great use of art-work in making the solutions to this not too glaringly obvious, but also not so subtle that you could never find them - we worked out what we needed to solve the riddle, and once we knew what we were looking for, it didn't take too long to find; I'd say, like the leaves in the Altaz cell, you got it just about perfect (whereas, I'd say, the item on thantos was a bit too conspicuous) - I guess this gets subjective as it depends on the eyesight and observation of the player, which might be variable, so you don't want to make it too subtle.
This is just great storytelling!
This is just great storytelling!
(Just as an aside, on the thema of it all: I love riddling puzzles like this, they really fit the high-fantasy setting of Wesnoth; not all problems can be, or should be able to be, solved by swinging a sword around. The entire high fantasy world owes a lot to Tolkien, and he put riddling, song, and storytelling right at the heart of his take on it all; I was delighted to see you'd worked this one in so well; more of this sort of thing, definitely!)

The only other thing I'd say topside is we were left a bit confused by what happened with bittertooth; as the log said, "It didn't end well"... maybe that will become a bit clearer later on... or maybe it's one of those total random dead-ends you were talking about! Either way, we'll be more careful with our next bottle of siren's blood!

Down into the temple, then...
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Down in the bowels of the temple, I think we were half expecting to find some giant weather control device... probably not a bunch of slack-off students more interested in guarding their rum than learning their spells!

The crystals and petrified revenants were all very intriguing, but we went on a hunch that somehwhere in all those dishevlled bookcases some goodness was lurking! With our thoughts firmly on the enigmatic library of the Ivory Tower, we were kind of hoping we might find books... no such joy (yet...)

The 'experiment' with nippy was brilliant; utterly predictable as soon as you entered the room, and yet still brilliant fun, and nicely scripted! Thankfully, sensing a bad outcome, we had the boys on hand together to set things to rights. He definitely wasn't getting our recommendation as top student after that.

We've not quite worked out what the benefit was to helping grade the students (we did work that one out, but no obvious payback) - locked doors, missing scrolls, unreachable elder necromancers and un-nickable rum left us a bit confused by all this one. After prying around as much as seemed sensible, we reluctantly accepted that maybe this wasn't the answer to all our storm problems after all, and headed back topside. I get the feeling we will be back here though...

A few quick spelling things:

Coldfist says "do not tally" instead of "do not tarry" - my friend being a maths teacher, this made us both chuckle!
He also says : "when we find such soul"; I guess that should be "such a soul" or "such souls"

Winterbane says "I chose <studentname>" - should that be chose or choose? wasn't clear from context if she'd already decided and was telling us we had it wrong?

Anyway, it may just be that we are a bit confused, as we haven't yet worked the plot out at this one. Off elsewhere, for now... but where to? We think we've explored every island; I guess we must have missed something... we'll see what we can discover... (no spoilers, yet!) :P
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

One quick ps:
we dropped in at greystone and found poor old nippy; suffice to say, a bit of trouble ensued! I was surprised how very gracious we were to the little scalliwag; had I had a choice to make in the dialog, it would have been tempting to give him his comeuppance. Maybe that should be a player-decision, rather than scripted? Incidentally, I think our team got the XP as though it was a kill, when it wasn't; if he doesn't die, should XP be awarded? questionable, I suppose.

I wonder if that's the last part he'll play in our story, or if he might trouble (or assist) us in the future?
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Ok, I'm going to put this one all in as a spoiler, as it's got plot details etc
Spoiler:
Update:
ok, I had a look at this one, in our save, side 3 (friendly ai, renaldo's team) are unassigned, and I suspect the reason we can't see Renaldo is because for map "farrow-b" the "no_leader=yes" flag is not set and Renaldo is the team leader; so he's not showing up?

if I'm correct, it might make the game a bit more resistant to corrupted saves if for farrow-b that setting is changed. I guess it can't be changed in farrow-a because it's an active combat map, but farrow-b is purely dialogue / NPC interaction I think?

(obviously, the correct solution is not to corrupt save-games, but hey, we can all be muppets sometimes! I wish that issue could be resolved, but I guess it goes deep into the entire file save formatting of the game, if it was an easy fix it would have been done long ago...)

hmmm... although I'm not 100% sure i'm correct. I've got two saves now, side-by-side; in the one with renaldo visible (not sure how I did that? but it's not the correct save we want to carry on from), his side has a flag setting "lost=no", in the one where he is not visible, the flag next to him says "lost=yes", all the villages the green team should own are gone, as well as the renaldo unit itself missing.

I'm at a bit of a loss to explain this one. Contemplating hacking the save game... but that could go horribly awry...

Update:

Ok, it can't just be that; if I load the saved game where renaldo exists, and immediately leave the island and then return, he has disappeared again... so a quick hack won't help here. I'm at a bit of an impasse on this; I might take a look later this evening (I've got a few other things I need to do) - but any suggestions would be welcome.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, that's odd (and annoying as Renaldo is a pretty important character). If you don't get a save working properly, I can PM you a partial fix.

I think I spotted the problem: on that scenario Renaldo's side is set to controller=null which means no leader is generated from the [side] info. What's weird is that he is showing up in any of the save files.
My current projects:
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Cheers bob, I'll see if we can get up and running again on our next play!

While we're waiting though, I thought this might be a good point to break from describing the more narrative island-visits and mention some of those random sea skirmishes;

We've seen a good number of these now, and they make interesting diversions on the way between islands. Battles with slavers, pirates, naga, zombies and even flocks of birds; it's a nice mix!

I think inevitably, after a while you start to see the same attacks pop up, and I guess there isn't much you could do about that without endless coding; I suppose you could have a few more fixed scenarios, or you could put some more randomisation into each - but it all takes design time. I think the most times we've seen any one scenario come up is the goblin mutiny, about 3 times, I'd guess? Even if we've seen it before, it's still an enjoyable quick scrap

As far as concepts for these skirmishes go, I think you've got most of the base ideas you could work with pretty well covered, there are only so many scenarios you can dream up which will fit the thematics sensibly; in terms of other ideas: maybe one with an array of smaller sea-monsters (cuttlefish, etc)? Maybe one with merfolk, haven't seen any of them yet? Or an attack bythe sea itself, stirred up with magical water elementals (maybe awoken to attack by a siren mage, or somesuch?) I could throw a few other ideas out there, but I'm not looking to create lots more work for you! Besides, for all I know, some of these might be in there, and we've just not seen them yet...

I think the area where as a player you notice the fact that encounters are repeating is in the dialogs. Maybe you could have a few different scripts for the dialog which actually still lead into the same battle scenarios? I think the dialog decision outcomes are deterministic too? If you pick e.g. "shoot the ghost ship" or "engage the galleon", I think (I might be wrong?) the outcome is always the same. A bit of randomisation might be nice - or do you want players to work out how to pick/avoid a fight, so they have a bit more control over the outcome? Again, that's a subjective call, which is better? Just flagging it, really.

Are these sea-encounters entirely random? If there are 'N' encounter types, is it possible to have encounter 1, followed by 1 again? Or to have encounter 1 a second time before you've had every encounter from 1 to N at least once? Maybe making them a bit more sequential (although still with a random order) is good? Or maybe not? quite a subjective call.

One thing which might make for nice variety and is maybe less work than devising totally new encounters is randomising the ship placement; I think I've only ever seen Hugo and Largo have their ship at the top of the map; having the ships the other way up (or even alongside each other vertically) might add visual variety and interest. maybe sometimes adding one extra hex of water between the two vessels; that would slow down the cross-over from ship to ship greatly and would reduce the mobility of units and so alter the tactics of the battle considerably. I guess you'd need to generate new maps for a new configuration, but it might be as simple as inverting the y-co-ordinates in the map file, I guess?

the above might sound a bit critical - I must emphasise, I really like these mini-missions; they are an interesting exercise in balancing resource-management as well as tactics, as they generally don't pay for themselves; you lose money on the deal if you do more than one or two recruits (which is good; they should be an attrition mechanism I think, to discourage lots of aimless sailing around). I'm just looking for ways to keep the freshness and keep the edge on these encounters.

We have also met a few battles where we stayed in the boat; a pirate attack on fishermen, and a naga vs kraken one. These were great little maps, nice to actually finally use our ship's arsenal in anger! The incendiary weapons were particularly good fun!
Scorch 'em!
Scorch 'em!
One seeming oddity - on at least one of those naval combat maps (the naga/kraken one), the second player wasn't able to take control at all. Ending the turn for player 1 automatically exhausted all movement points / attacks on our ship, so all player 2 could do was just sit and observe. a bit dull for them. not sure if this is a bug, as on the global turn map, and on other naval maps (e.g. reef town) it's quite possible to end player 1's turn mid-way through the movement points, and allow player 2 to take over?
(On the pirates vs fishermen map, it seemed that player 1 got our vessel and one fishing boat, and player 2 just some fishing boats, which was better at least, but still left player 1 with the lion's share of the action)

Anyway, that's a long enough post; overall, really good to have these little encounters mixing things up a bit!
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Actually, just a post-script to that, a side-thought on random encounters and 'completed' islands:

I've re-visited all of the islands multiple times (while trying to resolve the "Case of the Vanishing Renaldo" issue), and I've noticed that, once islands are "completed" (i.e. nothing more will happen there in any of the normal scripted courses of the story), they are handled in different ways;

Some, like Altaz Gaol, don't stop you from getting off the boat and having a wander around, but they do give you a message at the start, hinting that you're wasting your time. But some, like Lludwyn, just dump you straight off the island immediately (after a "nothing to see here" dialog). And some, like blade point (above ground) you can never get back to at all. I'm less keen on that, as it detracts from the sandpit go-anywhere-do-anything feel of the campaign, it's nice to have freedom to choose, (even if it's a total waste of time!)

A thought though: (and I've got no idea how do-able this would be within the Wesnoth framework) - it might be interesting to allow some 'expired' islands to become points where random land encounters may happen; similar to the random sea encounters, these could have nothing to do with the main plot, but could just add some interest and reason to occasionally poke your head back in old haunts.

Nothing too radical; finding a ship stranded on the coast, or a castaway, and offering to help (offer a lift to a port of their choice, for a few gold); finding another rival pirate group bang in the middle of burying or stashing some loot; finding an anchored merchant ship acting as a floating trading point (with randomised prices), or a wreck on the coast you could salvage for gold, goods, or weaponry for your ship (I guess some of these could even act as alternative portals into the normal sea encounters). I guess you'd need to set a few hex locations (always coastal) on each map which could be host-locations for these drop-in features

I think you'd always still want a message, after any such encounter, as a hint to the player that "that's all folks" (as porky pig might say) - i.e. once you've wrapped up this minor side-encounter, don't waste time looking for anything else on this island.

Now, that's potentially a shed-load of work, for all I know, so I just throw it out there as a concept. Maybe it's something you'd only do with one or two islands, for one or two encounters. (I'm just trying to feed back as many issues, typos, ideas, bugs, likes/dislikes as possible; entirely up to you chaps what you want to do with them!)
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

One final thing I should have mentioned;

At the start of one of the random sea encounters, we got this:
sea encounter - dialog options issue?
sea encounter - dialog options issue?
not quite sure what happened there for the "Try to outrun the galleon" message to appear twice? I'm pretty sure we've seen that galleon encounter a few times, and it's only displayed once, previously.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

The way it works is like this. There are six hidden units (pirate,royal,ghost,wreck,naga,longboat) which are randomly scattered around the world map every time it is loaded. If your ship bumps into one of them, the unit is revealed and it triggers an encounter. There's a small number of possible encounters for each of the six ship types, and again these are randomised. Depending on the choice you make in the dialogue it then sends you to a relevant mini scenario.

The same choices will have different outcomes in certain situations (your own ship type is a factor here). There are 18 mini scenarios at the moment, though some are really hard to find. In the original version of the campaign there were only six, so you should count yourself lucky! I agree there is always scope for more (more of everything!) Some of your ideas are actually in the game already, some of them I'd like to add at some point. These random encounters are relatively easy to make and test so more ideas are definitely welcome.

I decided against the ones where you get to control your ship because it often leaves player 2 with nothing to do. This was an experiment, and I don't think it works. The plan is to remove them and then hopefully include more scripted scenarios that have greater thematic scope to give player 2 some temporary ships to control.

A few of the islands do occasionally have interesting developments on return visits, but they are rare. Again, it's something that would be nice to add at some point. I guess it's a balancing act between letting the players explore for themselves and not wasting their time. Again, all good ideas!
My current projects:
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

Ok, we definitely haven't seen all 18 yet then! Repsect; that' s almost an entire campaign worth of maps right there... I can't begin to guess how much time an effort you've poured into this one! It really does show, though

It will be a few days until James and I next catch up to continue the campaign, in the meantime, the only other thing I'll mention is, having re-visited a number of islands several times now, a few thoughts on dialog here and there:

(these are all very minor, just tidying-up stuff really)

at fort bastille: after completing the sea-monster quest, it would be nice if the dialog texts with both Captain Athos and Gremlock changed slightly, to reflect the plot having moved on. Maybe they could proffer opinions on the storm in the south, being seagoing types.

it's mildly annoying having to re-pay jessip when you visit, especially as his contributions are rendered less useful due to the shops not functioning. Maybe should just be 1 gold, accordingly.

Cassel's dialog maybe should update as events in farrow progress.

farrow - should quentin offer some sort of training? is there something which triggers that? we've got him giving his opener, and nothing more.
We spent a long time walking all the way around to the top of the island, in case anyone there had anything important to say (especially when looking for vanishing renaldo) - it would be nice if, part way along, someone warned you somehow that you needn't bother

greystone - again, one where some of the non-speaking characters could give a bit of backstory on the place. that enigmatic plaque is the only clue there is something more to this place; maybe some of the currently silent NPCs could add a bit more?
might be nice if Chot had something to say after you jump his raid

Reef town - after you take care of morteau (assuming you side with Sayer) it might be good if the dialog about nearby islands with Slanos was updated
again, a lot of silent characters, might be nice if there was a bit more dialog; could give clues about islands a bit further afield, tips about other seagoers (slavers, pirates), or just build up a richer backstory; conflict the inhabitants have had in the past, how they sit with the royals, etc

Blade point cavern - after the first visit, it's quite quiet here; it would be nice if some of the passive characters offered up some dialog on how the black blade came to be; a little of its history or previous exploits
- the dialog with bolk didn't always seem to pop up; does that depend on what you'd already done with the weapons cache? otherwise it's never explained why he's sat blocking the way
- I think deliana could do with a bit more dialog, to flesh her character out a bit more. Done as a few other options to pick from perhaps, to break the dialog up a bit

Ivory tower - good dialog here; lots going on. Maybe a bit more 'chatter' about the battle from some of the lower ranks, after the orc attack. One other thing: with the khalifate / dunefolk rename, you might want to parse through the dialogs with Dylii & company, to ensure they would work well with both the existing and proposed naming (maybe just avoid any direct reference to be safe)

temple of ice:
we sank a lot of gold into coldfist, thinking he might do something other than constantly ask for donations; it would be nice if there was some resolution on that one so the player doesn't go around in circles

"choices" tips: with Hilldon's abandoned weapons cache and with the decision on morteau, we didn't realise at the time we had any choice; it was only going back later on through the savegames on my own that I realised there were more options hidden than we'd realised; I'm torn on whether it would be good to draw this to the attention of the player or not; it's nice to know what the options are, but the truth is, if you wander into a situation and only get one side of the story, then just like in real life, sometimes you don't know any better. If there were hints, I'd make them very soft ones; like "I bet this would be of interest to quite a few people", or "maybe we'll explore the island a bit more first, thanks"... I'm not sure.

Anyway, like I say, that will be all from me for a little while. Looking forward to picking this one up again soon!
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

We picked up the hunt again last night, using the workaround (thanks!) to get the royal palace on the map;

the trip there was fairly uneventful, we encountered the pirates and fishermen again; that is a tough scrap, and didn't go well for player 2! I think you're right about the naval battles, although I really like the idea. and the incendiary weapon concept is great, it would be nice to keep that involved somehow, as setting boats on fire is pretty novel and interesting (armada fireships and all that); maybe the mechanism could work in somewhere else.

one odd thing: player 2 was controlling the ship, and had clicked to sail to an island on the way. we were interrupted by those pirates, and when we came out, on player 1's laptop, player 1 got control of the ship and sailed on, but player 2 went to the original island, and we got an out of sync error. Is that a lower-level Wesnoth error?

the palace map itself was pretty much perfect; it took us a turn or two to work out how the 'sneak' ability worked, but once we had that, we were sorted. the "is anyone there" one-square-off-adjacent warning was a nice touch. we did get caught a couple of times early on but a quick save-load resolved that. the freebies were about right, not too over-powered. I wonder if a turn-limit would add a bit of tension on this one, you have to get out before daybreak - might up the ante.

one thing on the threat-level: we didn't get caught, so didn't do any fighting, but I was wondering (if it came to it), if the royals would defeat us. By this point both our characters are level 3 and heavily damage-boosted; one of us is a healer, and it's night so we're fighting chaotic vs lawful on good terms; we'd certainly have taken a lot of them down before we went, and I'm not entirely sure that we couldn't have won it... perhaps the sleeping units should be level-2s just to give a very clear sense of danger - that if these guys wake up, you're done for. Or maybe if the alert is sounded, the palace should be filled with light (or maybe the guards should all carry torches);

(the poison thing would have worked quite well as a 'don't get caught' deterrent, had we not had a healer, which rendered it somewhat ineffective. Maybe just knocking off x% of remaining hitpoints instantly would be a more immediately effective trap?)

incidentally, is it possible to control the brightness on maps? Probably not, but this one would benefit from turning down the light levels a bit more for the sense of really sneaking about. possibly a fog-of-war effect might help?

Anyway, overall a nice little map. We grabbed out stash (the location of Marco's island, some loot, and another book), and legged it.

knowing we were looking for this island down in the south we journeyed down, but on encountering the storm barrier, we were advised that Marco's island was somewhere below it; so we were back to looking for a means to get rid of the storm somehow. Figuring this must be something we'd back at the temple of ice, we headed back there. Trading on the way, we stopped at Greystone and ended up with nippy signing up (nice! he feels like a very powerful character). So maybe running him through wouldn't have been such a wise call after all...

Back at the temple of ice, we did some more exploring, but with limited success. Icewind revealed Xavier's shrine, so we have another book (two now - back to the Ivory tower soon, I guess) and a nice new figurehead, but we couldn't get any closer to frozenheart, who feels like he must be key to this storm, somehow...
How do we make it through? That's the big question...
How do we make it through? That's the big question...
...We're at a bit of a loss. I guess we'll go to the Ivory tower, and see if unlocking the next level there reveals anything which might help us... but that will have to wait for another day.

(minor thing at the temple of ice: Frost refers to Winterbane as "Master Winterbane", but Winterbane's NPC is female. Should that be "Mistress"? or if the strong gendering of that is a bit much, a slightly more neutral word, "Instructor" or somesuch)

One final thing to say: we've had a few issues with scroll-locking while playing this campaign (the screen just locks itself scrolling in one direction or another). This has happened now and then on both our laptops. But it's the first time we've installed 1.13.10, so it might be a Wesnoth bug and nothing to do with the campaign itself, not sure. Just thought I'd mention
mikeanthony

Post by mikeanthony »

It's been a while; to be honest we've been a bit stuck and going around in circles for a bit!

I'll put this update in a spoiler tag, as it's got quite a lot of plot-related and 'hidden' (triggering) stuff in it.
Spoiler: