Updated Living Caves

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

daniel.santos

Updated Living Caves

Post by daniel.santos »

First off, thanks to Blueblaze for making this wonderful map! :) I wanted this to work in 1.8 so I took it into my own hands. But also, I've updated it in a few ways (it's not finished yet).

EDIT: hmm, this was supposed to be been a reply to http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20686 so just FYI on that...
  • Replaced the map alteration code with lua functions and reduced the code size by 40k (saved games will be smaller as well)
  • Cleaned up some of the Tower of Unknowns code similarly, although not completely
  • Slightly modified many of the Tower of Unknowns rewards (mostly, instead of either 8+ or +16 health, it's between 8 and 16 health randomly -- that type of thing)
  • Added Tower of Unknowns "uber rewards" that occur one in 13 times. These vary from +1 all strikes, gain regeneration, max xp decreased by 20-60%, +2-5% to all terrain defense, etc. I'm planning on doing a lot more in this area later
Next, I'm wanting to do a few more things:
  • Replace all of the unit spawning WML code with lua to further reduce the code and saved game size.
  • Add "resistance" special that you can mouse over and see what resistance bonuses a unit has received. You can see terrain defense by default, so I'm not too worried about that. The "resistance" will only show up if you went to the Temple and got that bonus.
  • If a unit already has regeneration, it will be augmented instead of needlessly overwritten.
  • Possibly alter the villages directly north and south of the Temple into some type of lessor temple (like maybe a Monistary of the Unknowns?) that will give out bonuses less frequently -- usually temporal (like added gold or extra healing) but occasional of the lower quality that the Temple gives (never the uber bonuses).
  • If a chest spawns on a village where a unit is residing, maybe give it to him/her immediately.
  • Add a *lot* more uber bonuses. Examples: weapon type becomes arcane, ranged becomes marksman
  • Add a few random traps here and there (mostly along the lines of spawning mobs, slowing, etc.)
  • When map is randomized, randomly rotate each hex mask.
  • Add other map randomization features. E.g., have a chance on each turn past 15 or so for smaller portions of the map to re-randomize rather than it all happening at level 53 all of the time. Also, randomize the turn that the big change occurs (maybe anywhere between 40 and 53).
  • Finally, if all of those goes well, I'm considering modularizing it so that the generic functions can be easily used in other add-ons. Thus, there would be a "map-alteration" or some such resource add-on and then Living Caves which uses it.
Please give it a shot and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

UPDATE: Fixed a bug that was causing an error after saving & reloading (not getting gold from killing cave beasts
anymore). I think it's stable enough now to call it a v1.1
UPDATE2: Found another bug (areas sometimes not being initialized) bumped version to 1.1a
Attachments
Living_Caves-1.1a.tar.bz2
Living Caves v1.1a
Fixes occasional areas that are uninitialized
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by daniel.santos on April 17th, 2011, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel.santos

Re: Updated Living Caves

Post by daniel.santos »

ok, I fixed a bug and re-uploaded it. This should fix the problem with gold not being awarded for killing cave beasts after saving and re-loading.