Who is playing on dev server?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quetzalcoatl

Who is playing on dev server?

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Hi folks,

as installing dev release seems to be to much that most of mp players can do and because of that most of the games on dev server you can play is vs ppl who just installed this game (as they do not understand whats the difference between dev and stable release) playing there is kinda pointless and frustrating experience. Its been a while since 1.8 was released and some of us have 1.9 content that requires more work but its kinda hard to advance with it as nobody plays there. Of course big changes in 1.9 forces requires that much of that stuff to be differed for 1.8 and 1.9 and that's a bit too much of work that you most likely want to do :). Besides all of that 1.10 wont be released till the end of the year and therefore it may be a good reason to move to the dev server right now.

So instead of going there and waiting for nobody knows what for I propose this topic to be a place where hopefully ppl who have 1.9 installed can post about this amazing fact and eventually coordinate time intervals to allow them meet on that place of the vast emptiness (by posting there or just knowing who should they pm).

I always have most recent dev release and I'm interested on playing 1v1s with default era. Obviously I also have two maps I would be interesting to play test (astral port and serpent ford) and random addon that I want to improve using 1.9 features. I don't have a lot of time lately however.

Hopefully this topic will help someone. Would be cool if it could be sticked otherwise it will die in a week or so I guess.

Cheers
Q
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Who is playing on dev server?

Post by Velensk »

I play there.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Zaroth
Inactive Developer

Post by Zaroth »

For the record, I have latest development version always installed as well and I'm eager to play 1v1s, 2v2s and FFAs as well (grrr's strategy guide did a good job convincing me it's worth trying out :-) ). The easiest and quickest way to set up a game would probably be to jump on #wesnoth IRC channel and ping me. PMs could also work, although they don't have the benefit of instant response.
Quetzalcoatl wrote:as installing dev release seems to be to much that most of mp players can do and because of that most of the games on dev server you can play is vs ppl who just installed this game (as they do not understand whats the difference between dev and stable release)
If what you wrote here is true, it might be good to somehow make it more clear on the main Wesnoth page what a dev release is (and why you shouldn't download it if you want to play MP). I imagine that discovering a game and seeing that its MP server is almost empty can be quite discouraging for a newcomer.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

There is an addon server which is even a lot more frustrating: the trunk one. Always alone there. Can't figure out how to connect to the standard 1.9 server, since specifying the server adress doesn't work, so I need to adjust the version string and recompile for quite some time. (May I request you to please compile wesnoth so I can play with you there ? ;))
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i just DLed the 195 version and theres a discussion going on that if the cavalry is tweaked in 196 the ladder will go on 19x for some time (x weeks), and if there are frequent crashes and the game is unplayable most of the time we go back again. meanwhile we will perhaps help to improve wesnoth...maybe. if the players are helpful and report them...but dont be too anxious they will. if 196 is too rpoblematic and spoils games we will just remove to 18x but i would like to give it a chance to expand.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Darn my engilsh is so bad ;).

Zaroth: I have problems accessing irc as Im running proxy on my laptop :) and I run it as I need it badly :). About ppl on dev server. Well for sure its what I observed but I guess some other ppl could confirm it.

Rigor: Thats very cool but remember the ladder community waits for footpad nerf for years now and it was changed in 1.9 ;).

Anyway I'm leaving 1.8 and I will be only present on dev server from now on.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hey Quetz, I have 1.9 something downloaded because I like to play campaigns with the kick ass new graphics. I can DL the latest version and it'd be nice to play some multiplayer there too if we pick a time.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Its worth to update it! I already played few games and didnt found any obvious bugs. Let me know via pm or here and Im sure we will find a way to play on dev server :).

Cheers
Q
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Quetzalcoatl wrote:Its worth to update it! I already played few games and didnt found any obvious bugs. Let me know via pm or here and Im sure we will find a way to play on dev server :).

Cheers
Q
This is great news - but I'm sure you will find some bugs at some point! The bugs are there for the taking (and reporting ;) )

But seriously, this is good news. I'll try to log on some this week(end) in the evening and maybe we can get in a game! I'm GMT -5 (EST).
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

I've actually found that the dev version crashes less than the stable one, if anything. Haven't played online with it, though, since the server has always been pretty empty when I've checked. Plus right now I don't have 1.9.5 because I'm trying to preserve my download limit until the end of the month.
cookie

Post by cookie »

I can be found in the dev server since 1.9 was released but I dont quite enjoy going there. It always seems to give me C++ error causing the client to crash. Not fun.
Bye says the cookie.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I agree with the Aztec god. I would love to play on the development server, but there are rarely more than half-a-dozen people on there and usually playing non-English games.

I am usually available from 5:00PM PST - 10:00PM PST on weekdays and 6:00AM PST - 9:00AM PST weekends. If you want to play on the development server, PM me via the forum or just ask to switch when I am on the stable server. I'd be more than happy to oblige.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I expect interest to pickup on the development server with the next release. There will be some new maps, a new era which includes the standard default raced plus one new one (The Khalifate) and several unit balance changes which should draw some interest from players. The new era is a work in progress, but it still should be pretty exciting!
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

cookie wrote:I can be found in the dev server since 1.9 was released but I dont quite enjoy going there. It always seems to give me C++ error causing the client to crash. Not fun.
Really? I have that problem on 1.8. Haven't really been able to test it on 1.9 due to the lack of people playing.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

I used to play there. And with the changes to cavalery and footpads I may do so again, because 2 units that were overpowered vs undead that made playing a lot less fun were nerfed...

I expect those changes to make the game interesting again. :)