The Settlers of Wesnoth; NEW: "NO DOWNLOAD NEEDED"

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: The Settlers of Wesnoth for BfW 1.9.2

Post by Dixie »

Anonymissimus wrote: Maybe we make it so that if someone loses the award by settle building it goes always back to neutral ? It might also happen that by such an action 2 players reach the winning victory points simultaneously otherwise. (One by building a settle, the other one by getting the award.)
Well, you can only win the game at the end of your turn. So the first of those two to have his turn and end it wins. It'd probably be the settlement guy, in your example. BTW, that's why sow_victory_check is only launched at side turn end (or something like that). I think the award should automatically go to the next guy with the longest road, or neatral in case of a tie. For example, if the next guy with the longest road has used all of his roads, in your system, he can never get the award, even if his road is 14 units long. But maybe the next guy after him has only an 8 units long road. Might be a while before someone actually gets the award back.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Dixie wrote:Well, you can only win the game at the end of your turn. So the first of those two to have his turn and end it wins.
Uh, no. I changed that to immediate checks whenever someone can gain a victory point. Is this against the rules ? Are there other ways a player can get victory points out-of-turn, meaning without his action ?
For example, if the next guy with the longest road has used all of his roads, in your system, he can never get the award, even if his road is 14 units long. But maybe the next guy after him has only an 8 units long road. Might be a while before someone actually gets the award back.
If there's a tie of two players with 15 roads each the problem persists...

It's agreed now that this rule is complicated in gameplay and even more in implementation I think. ;)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

*Checking rules again* ...
Dixie wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote: Maybe we make it so that if someone loses the award by settle building it goes always back to neutral ? It might also happen that by such an action 2 players reach the winning victory points simultaneously otherwise. (One by building a settle, the other one by getting the award.)
Well, you can only win the game at the end of your turn.
Nope, but when it is your turn - however, for making it easy it could be implemented as you proposed.
Dixie wrote:So the first of those two to have his turn and end it wins. It'd probably be the settlement guy, in your example. BTW, that's why sow_victory_check is only launched at side turn end (or something like that). I think the award should automatically go to the next guy with the longest road, or neatral in case of a tie. For example, if the next guy with the longest road has used all of his roads, in your system, he can never get the award, even if his road is 14 units long. But maybe the next guy after him has only an 8 units long road. Might be a while before someone actually gets the award back.
Yes.
Anonymissimus wrote:
Dixie wrote:Well, you can only win the game at the end of your turn. So the first of those two to have his turn and end it wins.
Uh, no. I changed that to immediate checks whenever someone can gain a victory point. Is this against the rules ? Are there other ways a player can get victory points out-of-turn, meaning without his action ?
Not with the basic game, I think - but maybe with some sort of add-ons for it (and I think that if once your basic system is implemented, it'll be no problem to implement some add-ons, too ...)
Anonymissimus wrote:
For example, if the next guy with the longest road has used all of his roads, in your system, he can never get the award, even if his road is 14 units long. But maybe the next guy after him has only an 8 units long road. Might be a while before someone actually gets the award back.
If there's a tie of two players with 15 roads each the problem persists...
Why?
If Player A gets a road with 15 tiles, he has the award as long as his road isn't interrupted.
Well... and if two other players would create also two roads that long and Player A's road _is_ interrupted, then nobody would get the "Longest Road" bonus card until one of the other roads is also interrupted ;)

Ouf... if you don't understand me, Anonymissimus, then PM me please - I think I can better explain the rules in german :P

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Maramros

Post by Maramros »

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I skimmed the whole conversation and it didn't seem to be. Basically, if I try to open this add-on in Hotseat (haven't tested anywhere else yet), it opens fine, I get the starting screen that asks how long a game I want, and I can select one. Now, the entire board is just shallow water with text on it (perhaps that's how it's supposed to be; again, I don't know), and as soon as I select a target Victory Point total, Wesnoth closes, without any sort of ceremony whatsoever.

Running 1.9.4 on Windows 7.
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Doesn't sound like something related to this addon in particular. Especially "wesnoth closes".
And please explain "Hotseat".
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Maramros

Post by Maramros »

Hotseat, otherwise known as 'Local Game' the fourth option on the list of what kind of Multiplayer you'd like to connect to.

Game closes, as in the window vanishes, and Wesnoth must be reopened. No error report or anything, it just pauses for a moment and then quits.

And I haven't found this to happen with any other addon.
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Understood.
Ok well I can't reproduce it runs fine for me.
Maybe you can post your stderr.txt (in the directory of your wesnoth executable) ?
Do you see some labels while choosing the game length in the water, and in the minimap there is some island visible ?
Do you see the objectives ?
On a wild guess you can try commenting the line name=sow_menu_help_message in

Code: Select all

[event]
		name=sow_menu_help_message
		first_time_only=no
(line 165 in sow_scenario.cfg in my version) if you know some about wml and such.

EDIT
Reproduced a crash. Silene was supposed to fix that bug but something seems still wrong. Alternatively to the above, you can
-launch in debug mode (and not choosing the help from the right-click menu)
-increase your screen resolution (probably)

The problem is a big message image showing at start.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Maramros

Post by Maramros »

When choosing a game length, yes I can see labels in the water, and there is an island on the minimap.
stderr text:
I'm no code reader, so I won't try to interpret it.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

It seems that people think this addon is not finished code-wise. As far as the original task did go the version on the server is finished although the version number doesn't show it. What's not implemented (partly) are the additional issues brought up in this thread here. Also, I was planning to write an ai and rewrite the data-holding system but I'm not going to work on it any time soon probably.
projects (BfW 1.12):
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Settlers of Wesnoth 0.1.0 just went onto the 1.9 addons server.

This version features a very major improvement: Settlers of Wesnoth can now be played on remote clients without the need to have downloaded the addon! The user interface is less comfortable due to the usage of replacement units and replacement images as overlays, but the gameplay mechanics are exactly the same. Moreover, if Settlers of Wesnoth is being played with "Settlers of Wesnoth Era" chosen, the playing experience is (by design should be, maybe there are some new bugs) exactly the same as until now, that is, there should be no user-visible changes. Meaning by choosing the included era everyone who wants to be able to join the game needs to have the addon and all the custom images and units are used, if another era is chosen, they are not so nobody gets kicked from the game and everyone can try out the addon. 8)

EDIT
A question for people who have the board game and especially Dixie:
I noticed that with the larger maps/6 or more players there are 2 robbers on the map. Is this intentional ? The problem is that when moving the robber the game doesn't select both of them or one of them at random, it selects the one the unit map iterates over first. The code would support 2 robbers with a few modifications I think (select one of them at random when moving him).
projects (BfW 1.12):
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Anonymissimus wrote:EDIT
A question for people who have the board game and especially Dixie:
I noticed that with the larger maps/6 or more players there are 2 robbers on the map. Is this intentional ? The problem is that when moving the robber the game doesn't select both of them or one of them at random, it selects the one the unit map iterates over first. The code would support 2 robbers with a few modifications I think (select one of them at random when moving him).
I didn't ever see a board game with more than one robber, though it might be sensible for more players ... but then I think the player moving the robber should be able to select which one to move.
Dixie

Re: The Settlers of Wesnoth; NEW: "NO DOWNLOAD NEEDED"

Post by Dixie »

Sorry if I reply this late, I had seen your original message but missed the edit, which you made later.

Honestly, I'm not too sure, since I myself don't own the extension/a single copy of the game, and never played above 4 players. It's been a long time I've looked at the code and I'm not sure how it has changed exactly since you took it over, but I think the problem originates from the way I used to place the robber: on the desert, a terrain of which there usually is only one hex at 4 players, but 2 (or more?) with more people. I'm pretty sure the code couldn't handle 2 robbers the way first designed it, but I could be mistaken.

Also, as far as the original game goes, it's extension only supports up to 6 (the basic up to 4), and while it is supposed to have 2 deserts, it had only a single robber (AFAIK). It only had a single map layout: the big hexagon. The other land shapes (including variants for up to 8-9 players) (was there a variant for 9? Can't remember) I took from a Catan forum somewhere which I can't seem to find anymore. These were done by players/fans who owned two copies of the orignal game (some might be my own inventions, based on said variations). So maybe it could be viable to have 2 robbers at 7-9 players, but I would do as pauxlo suggests (i.e. the players chooses which to move).

In the end, I think playing it a few times would be the best way to find out about flavor. Having two robbers could open up some options with many players, but it would sure suck if one of them got both robbers on his turf...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Alright. I already fixed the duplicate robber; it's code-wise the by far most simple and balancing-wise the apparently most sensible solution.

Max player number in a wesnoth MP game is 9 while one is already used up for the fake ai enemy, and I don't think more players make any sense. Due to the robber-resources-halfing and the turn wait for instance.
projects (BfW 1.12):
jonius

Post by jonius »

Would you like to translate this era and map? I would like to help (German).
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

jonius wrote:Would you like to translate this era and map? I would like to help (German).
Thanks for checking it out.
As you can see I could make a German translation myself (and probably should). You need to consider that it is untranslated so far and that I don't have much experience with translating. Most of the strings to translate are in lua code, not in wml, which means that wmllint is not very useful. There are supposedly many strings which are hard to understand what to translate, harder than wml (if you are not a lua coder). All that means that there will probably be many problems translating it, and I should learn about them and avoid/fix them. Also there are still some situations where strings occur that should be translatable but aren't.
However, I imagine that things like the ingame help (accessible via the right-click menu) should be easy to translate (a lot of work, but easy). It probably also helps if the translator has the board game (so the words should get the same translation the board game uses, for specific things like the resources etc).
Ok I will try to make it available among the addons to translate. It will be a good test for translating lua code, the stuff AI recently did and such.
projects (BfW 1.12):