Conquest Replays

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Conquest Replays

Post by Mabuse »

This is a Conquest replay Thread.
If you think there are good Games, or unusual Games feel free to post them.

Here is a nice 1v1 Game on SAMROCK, where the Opponents start very near each other.
SAMROCK is a very great Map for 1v1's.

Version used: 2.9.6
Conquest_Samrock_1v1.gz
(80.68 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Samrock 1v1.png
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Re: Conquest Replays

Post by Mabuse »

more replays:
--------------

this one was hard, i was back in points a lot at the beginning, but due to some mistakes of my opponent (i even said gg in the middle of the game, after a big failure of mine (which wasnt exploited ;))
very entertaining game, you wil see fortified 20 gold uits and even an undad dragon.
my enemy also pestered me with wraiths, which was extremely annoying
Conquest_Samrock__17_Turns_!!.gz
(92.25 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
samrock 17 turns 1v1.png

another 1v1, this time i had a good start
------------------------------------------
samrock_1v1_!!!.gz
(72.63 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

btw, the purpose of the replays is just to give an example of how to play and give impressions. also for balancing purposes
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

a related thread is here: Conquest 1.1 AAR/Review
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

A very weak player (I won't name him) asked me to provide my game(s) where I played reasonably well. He wanted to learn from my games because I am a weak player but stronger than him (this is a very wise way how to learn - don't study games of people who are too much above you, since you won't understand them).

So this is my game that just finished. I played with xy on Conquest- Liquergue with teleports. His starting position was better for an expansion, while I was slightly ahead in gold. Therefore I had to find good moment(s) when to sacrifice an economy growth for an expansion . Finally I won, after two lucky moments that covered my mistakes.
obsolete
the replay of 2nd save is corrupted, probably due some Wesnoth bug. I will try to find out whether the file may be repaired
Edit: I repaired the save, now a full replay is attached
Attachments
Conquest-_Liquergue_xy-SlowT_T13_end.gz
(145.92 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Conquest-_Liquergue_xy-SlowT_T9.gz
(120.45 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on January 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

Well slow,

1st.As i see the players who left,u cant be clasified as weak play.You have at least 200 1v1s and u play really well

2nd.As i see the replay u got prety nice AI,while xy's one sucked,especialy in big regions.

And yes the replays are maybe the best way to learn.However i prefered just to watch games,since i could ask something,which i dont understand.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

SlowThinker wrote:the 2nd save, which replay is corrupted, probably due some Wesnoth bug...
I found a way how to repair buggy replays 8) , so the full replay of my save with xy is attached above now.

The bug is explained here: Errors in replays of reloaded games (1.8.5), also with a way how you can correct these errors so that you can replay your games.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I tried the Test Your Strength map a couple times and after a few tries to figure out what seemed to be fastest. With some luck I succeeded in taking all the villages by turn 8 (barely!). It seems impossible to complete it in anything less than 8 turns. I will admit that I did save reload when luck didn't go my way on important attacks (mostly just the infantry at the start).
Attachments
Conquest-_Test_your_stre..._Turn_8.gz
(248.62 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Congratulations :)

I thought the best play lead to a 9-turn win in about 90-95% situations. But...
- Firstly, Spieler informed me he successed to reach 9 turns with a very different start (he didn't take three first bonuses as expected)
- Now I see you reached 8 turns

I must look at both saves (Spieler+Lich), and maybe change the map (I don't like the best result depends on luck)

But I won't do it soon - first I must start works on unit stats balancing. This is my big debt especially towards Blop, who wanted to balance his new map accordingly to the new unit stats.
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

Luck will be a factor no matter what you do. For example if the militia you send to take the merman village defended by a militia dies (10% chance) then it will slow down how fast you complete the map by a turn (assuming you sent a second militia). If you watch replay, you will see I had +10/-24 by turn 5, so definitely good luck. The attack that especially affected by luck though was I made a infantry on turn 1 so I could make 2 boats the next to take the merman bonus faster. It was 30% ctk with infantry, and he came out with high HP.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I agree my note about a win in 90-95% situations is a nonsense. Also it would be bad, because we want a player needs to be careful and have some thrill.

Yes, there are some key situations, like the initial pike's attack and the water militia, but still I think I can adjust the scenario so that the chance to win is about 70%.