Save The Village - MP Survival Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Save The Village - MP Survival Scenario

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Save The Village is a kind of survival scenario in which players must protect a village from an imminent Orcish invasion. Loosely inspired by the film Seven Samurai, the scenario begins with the player's leaders arriving at a village and assuming control of the local peasants. To win, they must turn a rag-bag group of villagers into an army strong enough to withstand the final assault.

They do this by visiting a series of random locations, killing creeps and levelling their units. There are also some special features like bomb goblins, an xp trainer, a dwarf builder, magic items and a subquest or two. Despite these RPG elements the scenario is quick to grasp and plays like a compact, mini-campaign. There's a handful of scripted events to break up the fighting and some light story touches to keep things moving.

The emphasis is on replayability – the terrain, the items, the enemies and the enemy placement are all random. As are several other bits.

In the second half of the game, players must fight a desperate battle to defend the village against successive waves of orcish invaders. Be warned, the orcs have some tricks up their sleeves: soon after they attack they'll use a random 'siege tactic' to mess up your plans. Good luck.

I've uploaded it on the 1.8 add-ons server.

Only the host needs to download the scenario, but all players need the RPG Creation Kit (it uses custom units).
EDIT: As of version 0.2, Save The Village is a stand-alone scenario. As long as the host has the add-on, the other players don't have to download anything.
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on February 6th, 2012, 8:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
ebbeyes

Re: Save The Village - MP Survival Scenario

Post by ebbeyes »

Thanks for more great quality work !
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

This isn't appearing on my map list, even after I have downloaded RPG creation kit that i had before. It din't appear at first place and neither does now. I have checked my long map list twice. And I checked well.
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:I've uploaded it on the 1.8 add-ons server. Only the host needs to download the scenario, but all players need the RPG Creation Kit (it uses custom units).
RPG Creation Kit? That might be a problem - on the "Into the Underworld" scenario if some players had the RPG Creation Kit and some did not, then OOS errors would occur upon encountering the first enemies. Not sure about other scenarios, but if it causes OOS errors on one map... Has that issue been fixed yet?
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

This isn't appearing on my map list, even after I have downloaded RPG creation kit that i had before. It din't appear at first place and neither does now. I have checked my long map list twice. And I checked well.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure what would cause it. Bear in mind that the starting map for save the village might look a bit wrong in the minimap because it is just 7 plain empty areas. The terrain is added randomly once the game starts.
RPG Creation Kit? That might be a problem - on the "Into the Underworld" scenario if some players had the RPG Creation Kit and some did not, then OOS errors would occur upon encountering the first enemies. Not sure about other scenarios, but if it causes OOS errors on one map... Has that issue been fixed yet?
Do you remember what unit caused the oos on Into The Underworld? I thought I had fixed the bugs between the units in that scenario and the units in the rpg kit. The same problem won't occur with save the village because it doesn't have its own units - it just uses ones from the rpg kit.
My current projects:
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Do you remember what unit caused the oos on Into The Underworld? I thought I had fixed the bugs between the units in that scenario and the units in the rpg kit. The same problem won't occur with save the village because it doesn't have its own units - it just uses ones from the rpg kit.
No, sorry, all I know is we used Bob's RPG era and the OOS errors started when the group left the starting village and engaged the first enemies (I know there were some skeletons and bears, but I have no idea if that was all).

Speaking of the Underworld scenario: In Multiplayer, scenario Undead Empire Normal, I looked at the description of the Yeti and saw that it advances from Baby Yeti. However there is no such unit in Default era, only in the Into The Underworld scenario. Is that how it's supposed to be?
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

shadowblack wrote:Speaking of the Underworld scenario: In Multiplayer, scenario Undead Empire Normal, I looked at the description of the Yeti and saw that it advances from Baby Yeti. However there is no such unit in Default era, only in the Into The Underworld scenario. Is that how it's supposed to be?
Into the Underworld has a Baby Yeti which advances to Yeti, so presumably everyone who has it installed will see all Yetis in MP as advancing from Baby Yeti, but I think that shouldn't cause OOS since units don't really know what they advance from, only the help system does.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Okay, this is weird. I installed RPG Creation Kit, but when I try to install Save The Village I get told I DON'T have RPG Creation Kit installed. You might want to have a look at that to avoid confusion.
wesnoth.JPG
wesnoth2.JPG
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

This is the problem I have. I can download it, but it won't work
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

shadowblack, did Save The Village work despite the add-ons message showing you did not have the RPG Creation Kit? If so, Lollipopz's problem must be different.

I'm not quite sure what causes the add-on server interface to think that you don't have the add-on. I've now made Save The Village dependent on the era contained in the RPG Creation Kit (But this doesn't mean you need to select the creation kit era to play the scenario). This might work. Please let me know
My current projects:
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I tried a Local Game, selected Default Era and used map settings, and the scenario started without any problems. Oh, and the issue with the game recognizing that I have RPG Creation Kit installed is gone now that I updated to the latest version of the Kit.

By the way, which Era should I use with this scenario? Any recommendations? Or is any Era fine?

P.S.: I find it amusing that the leaders can be orcs even though the village is waiting to get attacked by orcs.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Any era with lvl2 leaders is fine in theory. It's up to you if you want to play a traitor orc...
My current projects:
baruk

Post by baruk »

Tried this out on the server last night with a couple of random people, it worked out really well. I hope all the events are random, in two playthroughs I've had the
Spoiler:
each occasion - an unpleasant surprise the first time, but something I can prepare for on subsequent attempts.

I had an idea for this kind of "7 samurai" premise when I was brainstorming for interesting scenario ideas - it's cool to see someone else execute it with aplomb.
ezysquire

Post by ezysquire »

love how it 'loosley based' on something. lols
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

Heh, Wesnoth was too slow so I got rid of it and reinstalled. Then later tried it again, worked fine. Might be overload of add-ons or something.