SXC Development

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: SXC Development

Post by MCP »

Forbidden Mountain is available still in 1.6.5, I just got it yesterday and was playing it. I didn't make it very far in that map, so that's why I wanted to give it another go. I think the no luck mode may be a little buggy in that map, but so far it seems ok.

3 days isn't enough time because Mabuse spent a lot longer refining his maps, placing enemies, making sure the AI follows the expected paths, reworking seemingly unimportant details, until he was flipping tired of it and decided, finally, to move on. Unless someone tricks the RNG and gets really lucky, 3 days just isn't enough time.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hello guys.

great report MCP.

btw, vultraz, you sent me a PM where you asked for soemthing, but you deactivated the option to allow other people to send you PM's ;)

im happy that you like my maps.
a good bunch of work went into these.
i still have a already finished RAW map (well the MAP DATA is complete) that waits to get completed.

i cannot say when i have time to work on it though.
i have the feeling that i should complete it though, since i always enjoyed making maps for SX :). but it also takes a lot of time.

at this point i would be happy to cooperate with some people :)
also i have even more plans for another map, but this is something for the far future ...
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Mabuse wrote:
also i have even more plans for another map, but this is something for the far future ...
:) Great!

This map was going to be the last scenario to my SX-based mp campaign, but if you eventually make another SXRPG map, you might consider working with it:

BTW, I'm in the process of updating the Forbidden Mountains map for 1.8.5 :D
Attachments
shadow.map.zip
My SX-like map
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I've reviewed that map of vultraz and must admit I'm quite impressed by it. It's got plenty of potential to be turned into a good SXRPG
I have a question though - playing Wizard of War2 I noticed that when a unit with particularly high resistance total levels up, instead of gaining more armor upgrade picks he gets blasted into a high negative value of picks. The funny thing is that it seems one of the other player receives those picks instead.
Bug? intended?
Following that acamanthus having only a single hitpoint left managed to murder a character with 60-70% resistance and 200hp, that picked up all the powerups on the map..Maybe those rpg maps are a little too hard actually, did you ever hear of anyone actually finish one? Those bosses have already huge attack and hitpoints, perhaps boosting their resistances is a little too much, especially that many of those miniboss/boss units get their resistances boosted over 100% which is pretty pointless

Edit: alright, so I manage to actually finish castle of cantar..and I don't think I could've done that i I wasn't playing solo from the start. Thing to note as a certain bug:
-buying spell for the clerics (probably mages too) spellbook uses up ability points AND spells can be bought below 0 ability points
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
MCP

Post by MCP »

The resistance bug can be found using ageless era, picking echanters->reductor and upgrading to the titan (probably will recognize this hero from before, since it's so cheap).

20%/80%/30%/50%/80%/80% == 340% total resists base.

arcane/blade/cold/fire/impact/pierce

edit: I might be able to get farther in my Yeti versus Darth Saul if I use rage/charge on the ice attack instead of rage/slow, although it might be suicidal.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

vultraz wrote: BTW, I'm in the process of updating the Forbidden Mountains map for 1.8.5 :D
umm, pls dont do that. :)

nothing personal or anything, but there is a reason why this map wasnt converted so far, and if you simply use this map and using the custom trrains and units that come along with it there may be problems with actual and further SXRPG addons.

of course i cannot forbid you to convert the map, but i really must tell you that you have to change all the custom terrain'ids and custom unit id's - because these units will be used in laater maps of mine -

also, if you want to make it palyable with the new SXRPG system you must convert all unit stats and if you dont have the right conversion keys then this will result in great unbalances

so all in all:
you can use the map but you must used yor own custom units then (its ok if you take my stats, but you need to change the uit ID at last), also terrain ID should be changed

but overall, i would say it best if you renounce on converting it

my plans for the map:
-----------------------
the FM map itself will be used as a base for a further SXRPG.

the actual SCN i paused working on will take the heroes to a secret temple which hold an ancient artefact which is needed to repel the upcoming chaos invasion
(map is here (but not coded yet, nor units done nor gameplay much developed):
pic1.png

the next scn which used the (greatly changed) FM map will be a siege-scn in which the heroes must defnd a stronghold and slowly advance later (and finaly defeat the leaders of the invasion). it might be that the heroes are even divided, so that p1+2 start in stronghold and p3,4,5 must work their way to the stronghold first
MCP

Post by MCP »

When Yeti's attack the "best" SXC on mad mode, see attachments.

ps I made one mistake when I played this and so I had to reload. I looked at a battle calc and thought I read 99.8% but it was in fact 97.8% after I reloaded and double checked, so when I didn't kill the dwarf, it caused my death. Upon reloading I just simply didn't attack the dwarf and went ahead with my plan to go back to the shop, which worked out just fine. I also admit I was quite careless at times because I just basically didn't care.
Attachments
Best_SXC_-_Adatangle_I_YETI_SMASH_replay.gz
"Best" SXC Adatangle Smashed by a Yeti on mad mode replay.
(283.89 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Best_SXC_-_Adatangle_I-Auto-Save45.gz
"Best" SXC Adatangle Smashed by a Yeti on mad mode.
(390.6 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Last edited by MCP on March 21st, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Bug reports! don't you love them :)

pictures - ice armor (the one with +20% cold resist) is missing its, the golden key in the middle-top is practically invisible until you hover mouse cursor over its tile - it gets hidden behind terrain, so consider moving its image in the picture file a little right-downwards.

Heard of an exploit you might want to decide whether to allow or fix - one can camp summon units around potion cauldrons to remotely gain potions for the hero (guessing there's a lack of filtering by canrecruit=yes on the cauldrons moveto event)

If replays are of any worth to your work I've finally managed to finish wizard of war2
took roughly 2 days
main problem with it - it's supposed to be a multiplayer map right? somehow though I can't imagine completing it in a party with the gold being divided by 5 and powerup items distributed among different party members. I ended with 105% physical resistances and 90% fire/arcane and a single abyss devil was able to take off about 1k hitpoints. Earlier at about 1/3 or 1/2 of the game when I had "only" 50% arcane/cold resist I was running scared to bits from the upgraded mummy minibosses actually capable of reducing me to shreds from a full state in a single turn of attacks.
It would be nice to do something that the game be finishable with any sensible unit type, not just the most crazy-buffed (especially on resistances) ones. Having the defence/resistance buffing items work for the whole party, not just the first to pick them up might be nice for a start.
Have fun analysing over 125 turns of replay xD hope it's not corrupt too much, it threw some error on the start - think it's angry on choosing death/revive mode or difficulty
Attachments
SXRPG_WizardOfWar2_powtórka.gz
(572.59 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
MCP

Post by MCP »

How were the abyss devils taking off 1k HP? Are you berserking them? I wasn't taking anywhere near that much damage from them with rage/slow on offense and slow on defense, and this was on turn 135+.

I will take a look when I can after work hopefully.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Mabuse wrote:
umm, pls dont do that.
OK I'm having problems with the macros anyway. BTW did you see my map?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i will review your maps.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

StDrake wrote:Bug reports! don't you love them :)

pictures - ice armor (the one with +20% cold resist) is missing its, the golden key in the middle-top is practically invisible until you hover mouse cursor over its tile - it gets hidden behind terrain, so consider moving its image in the picture file a little right-downwards.

Heard of an exploit you might want to decide whether to allow or fix - one can camp summon units around potion cauldrons to remotely gain potions for the hero (guessing there's a lack of filtering by canrecruit=yes on the cauldrons moveto event)

If replays are of any worth to your work I've finally managed to finish wizard of war2
took roughly 2 days
main problem with it - it's supposed to be a multiplayer map right? somehow though I can't imagine completing it in a party with the gold being divided by 5 and powerup items distributed among different party members. I ended with 105% physical resistances and 90% fire/arcane and a single abyss devil was able to take off about 1k hitpoints. Earlier at about 1/3 or 1/2 of the game when I had "only" 50% arcane/cold resist I was running scared to bits from the upgraded mummy minibosses actually capable of reducing me to shreds from a full state in a single turn of attacks.
It would be nice to do something that the game be finishable with any sensible unit type, not just the most crazy-buffed (especially on resistances) ones. Having the defence/resistance buffing items work for the whole party, not just the first to pick them up might be nice for a start.
Have fun analysing over 125 turns of replay xD hope it's not corrupt too much, it threw some error on the start - think it's angry on choosing death/revive mode or difficulty
thx for report StDrake, that cauldron bug is really annoying kinda :)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

BTW, StDrake, when can we finish that WizofWar2 we started. I've defeated two bosses already and only 3 revives :D
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok. im going to fix the two very annoying bugs:

- 2nd strike ability dont work
- non hero units can collect potions from cauldrons
- maybe some gfx wil be fixed (TC not working will get fixed)

this may get up soon

also i will review vultraz maps, and may make (with his agreement) some small (?) and fun SXRPG levels out of them before engaging on another BIIIG map
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

also i will review vultraz maps, and may make (with his agreement) some small (?) and fun SXRPG levels out of them before engaging on another BIIIG map
OK with me :)
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!