SXC Development

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MCP

Re: SXC Development

Post by MCP »

Hi,
I started an SXC Evil Dead and this is what happened.

1. Simple difficulty, one character, a Paladin.
2. Any enemy I kill on my turn I get zero gold for. Both static woses/spiders and spawned enemies such as wolves.
3. Any enemy I kill on their turn, I get correct gold for.
4. Chests and yellow potion seemed to work.
5. I quit ;p.

ps Wesnoth 1.8.5 on OS X 10.6

pps Same on SXC Castle Cantar
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

Latest info about 'missing closing tag' error.

Some users get an error message about 'missing closing tag'. This happens, after installing SXCollection, when loading a multiplayer game. This error removes all SXC maps from the map list.

Because of this error, many players cannot create a game of SurvivalXtreme. I am one of the few players who can create an SX game. Some players have not played SX for months or years until they join my game. Other players ask me to create an SX game.
  • Some players claim that the error happens with Windows, but not with Linux.
  • One player claims that the loading screen freezes, without an error message.
  • One player claims to see the error message but to still have SXC maps in the list.
Facts about this error.

There is no 'missing closing tag' in SXCollection. The error message is wrong. The closing tags are not missing.

The error happens because SXCollection is too large for Wesnoth. SXCollection is a single add-on with 24 maps. Each map has many features, like shops, bosses and chests. These features come from WML macros. When Wesnoth loads the add-on, Wesnoth expands the macros. Wesnoth reports a 'missing closing tag' if the macros expand to more than about a few hundred kilobytes.

I reproduced the problem with my example add-on, 'WML Many Macro Test'. My add-on uses WML macros to calculate the number 8192, using the formula 1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1. This works, but if I change my add-on to calculate 16384, then I get the 'missing closing tag' error.

The exact limit that triggers the 'missing closing tag' error remains a mystery.

Work around this error.

I also get the 'missing closing tag' error with SXCollection. To work around this error, I remove 23 of the 24 maps. With only 1 map, my Wesnoth can now load my SXCollection.

To remove the maps, I edit the file ~add-ons/SXCollection/_main.cfg. I find these 3 lines:

Code: Select all

{~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_def}
  {~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_gol}
  {~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_new}
Around these 3 lines, I add 4 more lines, so I have these 7 lines:

Code: Select all

#ifdef NOTYET
  {~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_def}
  {~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_gol}
  {~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_new}
#else
  {~add-ons/SXCollection/scen_def/SXC_Advanced.cfg}
#endif
This code says that, if defined NOTYET, then include all 24 maps, else include only the SXC Advanced map. I have not yet defined NOTYET, so I only get the SXC Advanced map. This is why I only use the SXC Advanced map when I create an SX game.
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

I'll probably remove all maps, that are not fully tested and adapted to the new macros. That could help reduce the size because there will not be needed the deprecated macros. I will also try to change all expanding macros into custom events where it is possible to reduce the number of multiple huge macro codes in single maps. I hope it will get rid of this problem and it will be playable again. I'll add the maps back one by one when they will be revised with the new macros for balancing.
Also, your testing indentation code has exponential character so it's not fully objective for determining the exact limits even it is showing there are some limitations. In SXC, adding single map isn't causing double size of all the expanded code but only n+1. More objective could be using the largest indentation level, that is ok, (or maybe the second largest) and then use it as many times as possible using the FOREACH macro.
I'll remove the maps that are not rebalanced with some macros changed into events in the next version (0.2.40).
MCP

Post by MCP »

Thanks for posting this, I think Zeus was running into this on his windows xp computer the other weekend when we tried to play.
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

Currently updated maps in version 0.2.42:
SXC_Advanced
SXC_Adventure
SXC_BraveHeart
SXC_Classic
SXC_Curve
SXC_Maze
SXC_SpoOky_Forest
SXC_Light_Cave (needs further balancing)
0.2.43,0.2.44:
SXC_Light_Cave updated
0.2.45:
Fix in weapon shop and weapon specials shop calculation for melee damage, causing wrong price in some cases
0.2.46:
SXC_Rumble updated
0.2.47:
Some minor fixes. I have some problems to balance SXC_Rumble - next update will probably take some time
Last edited by -stf- on February 18th, 2011, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

It has been awhile... I thought I'd just drop in and say hello.

Kernigh: Hm, I will have to read this. Looks interesting... (as said in previous posts, I couldn't figure it out either... Anyway, *reads*)

I also probably need to update sxc as well... I will go ahead and do this real quick...
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Jinnaraka

Post by Jinnaraka »

HI. to all sxc fans. I just finished a new sxc map in a 3 days period. I call it the best sxc map ever. Try it and tell me it is not.

---NEW SXC Jinnaraka
Legendary Thief (single player (Intermediated level, 20 scenarios) campaign; author)
Various Multiplayer scenarios modifier
Jinnaraka

Post by Jinnaraka »

snap shot. my map starts in the middle.
Attachments
new.gif
Legendary Thief (single player (Intermediated level, 20 scenarios) campaign; author)
MCP

Post by MCP »

Cool use of the area to sort of minimize map area for maximum killing. I like how enemies just keep spawning everywhere (eg no escape).

I killed, I think, all the leaders by turn 27, but it didn't give me a victory condition. I didn't kill all the guys with crowns on their heads, one of the ferries for instance or probably lots of mobile bosses.

Anyways I was just messing around on simple with one hero to see the map.

ps It's not THE best SX map.
Jinnaraka

Post by Jinnaraka »

MCP wrote:Cool use of the area to sort of minimize map area for maximum killing. I like how enemies just keep spawning everywhere (eg no escape).

I killed, I think, all the leaders by turn 27, but it didn't give me a victory condition. I didn't kill all the guys with crowns on their heads, one of the ferries for instance or probably lots of mobile bosses.

Anyways I was just messing around on simple with one hero to see the map.

ps It's not THE best SX map.
thank you for playing. kill all bosees in turn 27? u r great. since you say this map is not the best, Can you kindly show me the best sx map? thanks
MCP

Post by MCP »

SX Mabuse Evil Dead, Mad Mode (or hardest mode). Well actually any of his three main ones, the Evil Dead, the Castle of Cantar, or Wizard of War 2. His other map Forbidden Mountain is not available in 1.8 and Wizard of War one is not very interesting and pretty easy.

I played it again with a friend and we just had to end our turns after killing the last boss to get the victory condition to occur. It was also before turn 30. But we used a yeti and a dragon so it was a pretty straight forward strategy: Go and Kill all of them.

edit:
When Yeti's attack: wizards.
I played WoW2 today and as soon as I got to Darth Saul's area, after defeating Acathamus (sp?), I couldn't advance. The regularly spawned enemies were too strong. Turn 140. Ended up just giving up on turn 148. It was those Devils... they stopped me from using the back door and they stopped me from otherwise dealing with the enemies just fine.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Jinnaraka wrote:HI. to all sxc fans. I just finished a new sxc map in a 3 days period. I call it the best sxc map ever. Try it and tell me it is not.

---NEW SXC Jinnaraka
Yeah actually it isn't.

From the second I read "the best SX ever" I thought it was going to be really bad, and I was right.

I almost quit on reading "This is the best era for SX" because the previous screen was terrible.
The SX units faction is called "Shaman" for some reason unknown to me, also units are completely mixed up, not only among factions but levels as well.

I found the Shop menu to be really anoying, especially the fact options sometimes change after you buy an upgrade, which causes people to waste money on accidentally untraining upgrades.

The maps, none of them were particularly creative, just a bunch of assorted terrain types, they didn't have much decoration either, which is something that would be nice to see in a new generation SX since it adds a lot to the atmosphere and there is a lot of decoration images available.

Ok now a little advice, when you create something let others judge yours work, saying you think your work is awesome and is the best ever and it surpasses the work of other people who are more experienced makes you look terrible, especially when it isn't true, and it's not even close of being true.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I just assumed this person wasn't serious, but I was wrong?

Three days is not nearly enough time to create 'the best SX ever.'
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I agree with MCP. Mabuse's SXRPG maps are the best!

Where is this Forbidden Mountain map? Was it ever playable in some past Wesnoth version?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

MCP wrote:I just assumed this person wasn't serious, but I was wrong?

Three days is not nearly enough time to create 'the best SX ever.'
Huh depends if you already have the macros or if you have to start from scratch.