Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG(Beta Testing) 0.0.5

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Wow. :shock:
This is... epic.

I just picked up the call in the communications center and am heading for the sewers now.
I got a bit bored with the lack of... anything happening when you initially start out in the residential area and I almost quit, but I'm sure glad I didn't.
Although there is too much dragging your units around through massive, empty areas, particularly the trek from the junkyard back to the residential area.

Can't wait to get into the armory and get this flamethrower I've heard so much about... :D
Now back to playing, enough time wasted on typing... :P

(My response was a bit delayed, since I downloaded it several days ago, and because of scarce free-time, I've been working my way through it slowly in small bits at a time, over a couple days...)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote: Although there is too much dragging your units around through massive, empty areas, particularly the trek from the junkyard back to the residential area.
y. i agree - i mentioned that before - and also while playing with PMS
the solution would be zombies spawning freqently from the western corners
once you did it to the junkyard

or simply fil that episode with some carefully designed and prepared action, for example there coudl be a real tough fighting sequence when you head up north and halfway (when you got past the grveyard again, a massive wave of crawling corses (and some birdies to give the crawlers time to get on the road) to block the way south and to push the players up north to the right direction ;)

however, you could make so much action there, which is fun of course :D
im curious what PMS thinks out to improve that

btw, another nice thing woudl be also (to speed up traveling) if you could use an abadoned car and load the heroes in. i would have a massive amount of movement (lets say 15)
it has no weapons though.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote: Can't wait to get into the armory and get this flamethrower I've heard so much about... :D
Now back to playing, enough time wasted on typing... :P
ahaha, it seems you missed the flamethrower :D
its near the military base in the most south corner ;)

PMS said its onyl a side quest, but i can tell you that it is really a benefit if you have it.
unfortuanately the flamer is ineffective versus the water-zombies, so i recommend to give the colt python (will be found after the sewers in the "miltary base") to the flamer guy.

a good team setup and weapon optimization is imortant for best success.

since i missed to do that i got massacred by the sewers boss later.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I got a bit bored with the lack of... anything happening when you initially start out in the residential area and I almost quit, but I'm sure glad I didn't.
yes. i agree so much.

unless you realy know what to do. the start is really kinda.
it simply a pain in the ass to fight the zombies 4 : 1 with 3-2 fists.

putting some interesting stuff into the houses in that section and thinking about how to improve the combat woudl be a good thing.

later combat is more fun, but oyu can make it as well that combat is good right from start on.
just use way weaker zombies (with about 10HP) in the intial area, and let the player find some 5-2 melee knives or whatever.

to keep the pace and action you can always spawn more zombies ;)
perhaps you could also make the first zombies slower also

the goal is to give the players something to do while they search the houses.
right now figting 20HP zombies with 3-2 fists is pain in the ass.

just a good meant suggestion. make initial combat more interesting.

make a new unit type ("extremely weak zombie", 12HP, 4-5 moves) and let the palyers find some basic melee weapons quickly. voila' you can spawn soe more zombie packs, and players have something to do.
Captain_Wrathbow

Mabuse wrote:ahaha, it seems you missed the flamethrower :D
its near the military base in the most south corner ;)
:augh: Seriously?!
Ugh... I hate to travel all the way back down there, but... I.... must.... get.... flamethrower....
Maybe I'll cheat and temporarily up their movement with debug.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I mean the bats; trying to fight them when I only have ONE guy with a spread or sniping weapon is hopeless. Mr. Flamethrower managed to handle them, but it would have been easier if I'd hung onto the mossberg or sniper instead of replacing them with SMGs.

It's like trying to fight a skeleton army with 3 longbowmen and a white mage; Yes you can do it but you still messed up your team design.

@Wrathbow: Just set everyone on an autopath and press your end turn hotkey until 15-30 turns have passed. Then join the petition for more zombies or wesband movement :P
Captain_Wrathbow

Araja wrote:@Wrathbow: Just set everyone on an autopath and press your end turn hotkey until 15-30 turns have passed.
I know, that's what I did on the way back to comm center, but it still takes forever cause there's a 3-5 second lag between side-turns.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I share your pain :lol2:

Anyhow, I played it with a friend of mine and we managed to clear out the military base, but then we lost someone from a mutant + bat ambush in the sewers and had to reload...All the files were corrupt, apparently. After playing all evening that was somewhat annoying, but such is the risk of playing betas.

It was much more enjoyable the second time around, and with another person. Knowing where to go and where all the guns are makes the gameplay much smoother. We've broken my solo attempt by 150ish turns :). Lots of things you just need to know about. Comms centre boxes, I'm looking at you.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Araja wrote: It was much more enjoyable the second time around, and with another person. Knowing where to go and where all the guns are makes the gameplay much smoother.
100% valid point.

because of that reason i suggested by "marking" all imortant things on the map, in the end its all about the fun, not about stepping on every hex.

i for myself can only say that i woudlnt have enjoyed the game at all without any clue where to find objects, since it simply takes forever.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

lulz what happened in my topic while I was away? :shock:

Of all the mentioned issues what worries me the most is that save files often get corrupted, and I honestly have no idea what causes it, it is beyond my knowledge.

I'll add fix some things and publish a new version this week...

...probably.

:augh:
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm still plugging through, rather slowly. I got the flamethrower, (Yes!! :twisted: ) and I just entered the sewers and killed a couple rats and mutants.
:lol2: Long, epic, over-embellished fight story:
Araja

Post by Araja »

Me and my friend's over-detailed fight story:
I notice they didn't let us into the church this time around, so I don't see how to get my Cassus. First time I played there was a second option on the door, but the condition seems to have been changed...I'm guessing I now need to find the mentioned reptile-man first, so I'm exploring the sewers in hope of stumbling into him. Unless of course he's in that big central area, in which case...Um...I haven't thought that far ahead.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG(Beta Testing) 0.0.6

The promised update is here!

0.0.6 is on the add-on server.

Changes made:
-Map in the intro.
-The Hunter's Hut(where you get the Sniper Rifle) is locked, you get the key at a little camp(new) between the River and the Train Station.
-After the Junkyard event, more undead will spawn every 5 turns on the surface(thanks to a little timer I made, which can also be used to "randomize" events).
I think I have overdone it, any complaints should be directed to Mabuse, he wanted action.
-One can optionally take a boat to head to the South Residential Area after the Junkyard events, the Fisherman boat is at the previously mentioned camp near the train station.
-After the Junkyard events, a new enemy spawns near the crossroads by the farm.
-Gave steroids to Giant Rats.
-Upgraded the military base spawns because they were too weak.
-It is no longer possible to skip Communication Center and Junkyard events in the main quest.
Araja

Post by Araja »

So you need to creep past the beast to get the key, then run for the sniper rifle, then come back? Ouch.

More undead should be interesting though, as it was too easy overall. Fun, but don't feel threatened much.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Araja wrote:So you need to creep past the beast to get the key, then run for the sniper rifle, then come back?
If you want.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: -After the Junkyard event, more undead will spawn every 5 turns on the surface(thanks to a little timer I made, which can also be used to "randomize" events).
I think I have overdone it, any complaints should be directed to Mabuse, he wanted action.
the only thing i hope for is that there is some kind of "artificial" spawn limit
if it is there it is fine -

i guess the new version is worth a look - i dl now :)

EDIT:
btw, IF there is something to complain, be sure i 'll do it :P