Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG(Beta Testing) 0.0.6

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

By the way, can anyone give me some feedback of the game now on the zombies that appear every turns? Are they too many? Too few?

Also it would be nice if someone commented the boat xP.

By the way, do you think weapons are balanced? Are they not?

I don't know when I'm gonna get to finish the rest of the game since I'm kinda lazy, and soon I'm going to have a lot of work. (Also gonna be quite busy in RL too).

I have to adapt all of my maps and add-ons to 1.9, and probably I'll balance the 18th Century Era too.

It's a lot of work, be understanding :P
Araja

Post by Araja »

I was talking to CB, lol. Saying that as he was the only one who didn't lose his savegames, he must be some kind of chosen one who will finish the map and beat the zombies.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: The fact you do it doesn't make it's "absolutely untrue".
In general, it is that way, everywhere, not only Wesnoth, it isn't really fun to play your own creations.

There is no excitement nor fun in it, at least in RPGs, normal maps are ok though, it's just about killing the enemy.
well, i dont have a clue how you do come to the conclusion that "in general" people dont play their own creations.
if it is not fun for them, why should it be fun for others.

(btw, i dont speak about commercial stuff that is made maybe only to earn money -
so we can keep the money argument away)

i stay in with my opinion, if the content creator dont think his game is worth being played why should other poeple do it.

just wanted to point his out (again), theres no point in repeating the same thing again with no backup.

look at the wesnoth devs, surely they play their own game.
so im probably not the only person who like to play the stuff he makes ;)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Mabuse wrote:well, i dont have a clue how you do come to the conclusion that "in general" people dont play their own creations.

if it is not fun for them, why should it be fun for others.

look at the wesnoth devs, surely they play their own game.
so im probably not the only person who like to play the stuff he makes ;)
You are still not getting it.

To put it in a more obvious way, it's like reading a book you wrote, you already knows what's gonna happen or in this case, how to proceed.

Normal wesnoth has a different focus than an RPG, which is outwitting your opponent and winning, the human factor is what makes it fun.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I've played through ZA until the boat event, and it took me about 320 turns and some four hours to get there. I enjoyed the game, though I believe there is room for improvement.
Here be spoilers:
Araja

Post by Araja »

I've been busy with another game and haven't been able to play the latest version of ZA, so I can't give a valid opinion on the spawns or boat.

What I can say is that I just don't understand the problem people have with the keeping their medic out of zombie hands until they reach the hospital. You have 8mp, they have 6, it's a big, flat, open map. How on earth do you manage to get attacked without your consent?

Unless it's by crows of course. Those guys are a pest...
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Araja: before you get something better than a pistol you can get ZOC'ed. If you don't know the map, you may walk into a ghoul with some zombiefied friends and get pinned down somewhere (happened to me).

I just remembered that enemies have 'undeath' trait. I don't know if it's a spelling mistake or it was meant this way, but I think that the proper word is 'undead', and in Zombie Apocalypse a better name for this trait would be 'zombie' or 'zombiefied' or something like that. I mean, the enemies are not really undead, but infected citizens.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Sounds like a recklessness problem :P
I'll admit that I myself have charged at an enemy only to notice he has 2-3 friends just behind him, but you just learn to be defensive with the medic. Easy problem to get around.

I think "undeath" was so called because there's already a trait called "undead" in mainline, and you generally want to avoid having two different things with the same name.
I'd agree with you on having it called "infected" or suchlike, but there are a few creatures that couldn't be called infected. Also, it's a quite modern or science-y name, and I suspect there's a paranormal streak to the map. But, who knows. :)
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Araja wrote:What I can say is that I just don't understand the problem people have with the keeping their medic out of zombie hands until they reach the hospital. You have 8mp, they have 6, it's a big, flat, open map. How on earth do you manage to get attacked without your consent?

Unless it's by crows of course. Those guys are a pest...
What happened to me is that my medic got poisoned on the first Ghoul that you find... Yeah, that really sucked, until I got the second MedPack. Basically I had three commandos for a portion of the game.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Araja wrote:I think "undeath" was so called because there's already a trait called "undead" in mainline, and you generally want to avoid having two different things with the same name.
I'd agree with you on having it called "infected" or suchlike, but there are a few creatures that couldn't be called infected. Also, it's a quite modern or science-y name, and I suspect there's a paranormal streak to the map. But, who knows. :)
Not really lol, I just called it undeath, and it isn't a trait, it's an ability.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I'm on one of my days off from college so I decided to try the latest version. Currently at turn 121, city square, with a mixture of praise and nitpicking :P

Firstly, the zombies are much more interesting now that they keep on coming and don't wait for me to get within movement. With the constant trickle of enemies, zombies that actually ran at me instead of waiting for me to get into position, and occasional big mob that required some tactics to put down, It was more of a challenge than the earlier versions ever were.
I haven't lost anyone yet, but I've had several "Uh oh...Fall back!" moments when I saw a big pack of them appear out of the fog.

The nitpick is why a helicopter crash sound is included in the add-on, but apparently never used. Maybe at some point in the intro sequence?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Araja wrote:The nitpick is why a helicopter crash sound is included in the add-on, but apparently never used. Maybe at some point in the intro sequence?
That was the idea but making an animated introduction is too much of a hassle.

Maybe I'll try again later.

Anyway.

After taking a little a break and working on the 18th Century Era and the Wesnoth Christmas Rumble, I'm ready to go on with this.

So there might be news in some days.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I think the impassable terrain type is slightly misplaced in the hospital alleyway.
Screenshot_001.JPG
The steel barrel is flat terrain and there's an impassable piece of empty air just to the northwest of it. Not exactly game-changing but worth mentioning nonetheless.

Also...

While I was hanging out near the flower shop I heard that someone had catched a strange disease but that it wasn't anything serious...

I believe the word is "caught". Normally I would think that was part of the characterisation, (it's just a child after all) but their language style(using "we are" instead of the far more natural "we're" for example) made me think otherwise.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Actually I noticed misplaced impassable terrain a lot, but unfortunately I didn't make note of any of them...
PapaSmurfReloaded

Araja wrote:While I was hanging out near the flower shop I heard that someone had catched a strange disease but that it wasn't anything serious...
Lol

Thanks for the report, I'll fix it in the next version since they are not particularly outragerous and troublesome bugs.

Though I'm feeling kinda lazy and I spend most of my free time on MMORPGs so I can't give yall a date for the next version <_<.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Actually I noticed misplaced impassable terrain a lot, but unfortunately I didn't make note of any of them...
Well taking note would help, since it is kind of relevant.