Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
Boldek
Posts: 575
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 6:37 pm
Location: In Space

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.2.5(For 1.9.X Wesnoth)

Post by Boldek » November 5th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Hi! I just downloaded this rpg, and I must admit it's the most fun and complicated rpg in wesnoth I've played. If by any chance you're open to suggestions for 1.8, I have a few things that I think would help the player:

A: Why are the commando's so weak? shouldn't they have combat knives in their belts or pistols, or be better at punching people?

B: when I started playing, I had no idea where to go, or what to do. I wandered around hunting for weapons on the east side of the river, and it took me hours of poking around to realize I had to run across the river with metal pipes in hand and a pistol to face off the rest of the town. on the other side, you find weapons like crazy, and then suddenly my men were charging around with rifles killing everything in sight. could you have the wrecked heli as a place to find a good weapon or two, maybe you would need a pipe to pry open a box or something, but it was kind of discouraging to know that I would have to find decent weapons and I had nothing but pipes.
giving an easy to find gun would help interest the player in the game, and help him survive through the residential area.

C: could some braver civilians come along instead of automatically disappearing? I was hoping to have a few guys like the one with the knife watch my back, and speed up the search through every building.

D: I know this would be pretty tough to do, but could you please add more items? those boxes and chests were so aggravating as every single one was empty, and when I read the words:" Zombie Apocalypse" I hoping for some fun things to brain zombies with, like a lampstand or a poker, maybe a book to throw at them :D .

anyway, this has been the most exciting and fun wesnoth rpg I have played, I and I think it's awesome! thanks for your work! :D
What's the point of a signature anyway?
The cake is a lie!

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.2.5(For 1.9.X Wesnoth)

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » January 4th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Boldek wrote:Hi! I just downloaded this rpg, and I must admit it's the most fun and complicated rpg in wesnoth I've played. If by any chance you're open to suggestions for 1.8, I have a few things that I think would help the player:

A: Why are the commando's so weak? shouldn't they have combat knives in their belts or pistols, or be better at punching people?

B: when I started playing, I had no idea where to go, or what to do. I wandered around hunting for weapons on the east side of the river, and it took me hours of poking around to realize I had to run across the river with metal pipes in hand and a pistol to face off the rest of the town. on the other side, you find weapons like crazy, and then suddenly my men were charging around with rifles killing everything in sight. could you have the wrecked heli as a place to find a good weapon or two, maybe you would need a pipe to pry open a box or something, but it was kind of discouraging to know that I would have to find decent weapons and I had nothing but pipes.
giving an easy to find gun would help interest the player in the game, and help him survive through the residential area.

C: could some braver civilians come along instead of automatically disappearing? I was hoping to have a few guys like the one with the knife watch my back, and speed up the search through every building.

D: I know this would be pretty tough to do, but could you please add more items? those boxes and chests were so aggravating as every single one was empty, and when I read the words:" Zombie Apocalypse" I hoping for some fun things to brain zombies with, like a lampstand or a poker, maybe a book to throw at them :D .

anyway, this has been the most exciting and fun wesnoth rpg I have played, I and I think it's awesome! thanks for your work! :D
There won't be any more updates for 1.8 stable ZA, that version will remain uncomplete, since it will be replaced by the one in the 1.9 Development when 1.9 stable version comes out, which actually is complete and bugless as far as I know.

Perhaps maybe I might make some changes to the finished version of ZA, but right now I got my hands full with the 18th Century Era campaign.
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4b

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » February 20th, 2012, 10:13 pm

New release! \o/

Changes:
-There should be a significant decrease in lag caused by events and spawns.
-The score can be checked anywhere by right clicking on the map.
-Players start the game with weapons now(other than their fists).
-New weapons, one-time-use HE Grenades.
-Modified some weapons and changed some specials.
-Some changes in the map and some dialogues too here and there, nothing particularly relevant.

If you find any bug, typo or odd thing while playing, do not hesitate to report it. :)

EDIT: Little bug fix. :3
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » February 22nd, 2012, 3:12 am

Major release.
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

User avatar
Araja
Posts: 718
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:56 am
Location: Bath, England

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by Araja » March 3rd, 2012, 9:16 pm

Well, it's certainly been a while...Is this still being maintained?
Probably some spoilers in here, as I'm mentioning quite a few things.:

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » March 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Araja wrote:Well, it's certainly been a while...Is this still being maintained?
Probably some spoilers in here, as I'm mentioning quite a few things.:
1-Yeah chainsaw may be a little oped, particularly since I added psychosis. I could maybe, just maybe give it a weaker damage rating(like 13, instead of 16, which if I recall is the current value), the fact mobs would rather end turn and not attack a player with a strong melee weapon in range is something anoying, zombies are supposed to be brainless and suicidal. I think that can just be changed by modifying the enemy ai though.

It's difficult to make a game about zombies and just not want chainsaws to be oped as hell. :|


2-Yeah making the game faster was my main objective when I started working with 1.9.X dev(I quit working ZA for 1.8 stable and it was still bug ridden, from events to everything).

I noticed that the most anoying thing about ZA was the time the game takes in every sense. Exploring the map, moving the characters, monster spawns, AI turns, and of course, the fact I overdid and made the game really damn lon so I worked on it.

-In this new stable version of Wesnoth, I economized events and organized them properly to make wesnoth have less things to process, and making the game flow faster. The game used to be just too laggy.
-Made mobs spawn from moveto area events rather than individual events, in the past each spawn had its own event.
A monster to spawn once when they had a player in a radius of 8(or so) hexes.
Ok, that's cool. What does that mean? It meant that when a player moved, EVERY damn monster spawn event in the entire map checked itself to see if it had a player in said radius and needed to activate, and of course, that lagged the game like hell.
If I had wanted to device a lag making addon on purpose I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
-I made player units have 6 move points, that improved the game speed, compared to the 4 move points they had before. Also players can move again when there are no mobs around, and after they kill a zombie(4 hexes for both extra moves, if I recall), which makes backtracking into previously explored areas not consumes turns the way it used to


3-Hm I might have forgotten about that last release, I remember that I also thought about adding some sort of warning, or menu asking the player if really want to teleport into the vampires lair after the library events.


4-If I recall the save bug issue should have been solved long ago, as far as I know it was caused by menu events being prestart/side turns in the past, which led to them getting corrupted when loading the game. Since I changed all of those events to preload, which actually fire when you load games rather than just when you start game.

It should not happen, and if I recall I haven't seen it happen since then.


5-Yeah that might a little screw-up, they are actually meant to be invulnerable.
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

User avatar
Boldek
Posts: 575
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 6:37 pm
Location: In Space

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by Boldek » March 13th, 2012, 1:57 am

Do not forget the poor soldiers. they didn't stand a chance.
What's the point of a signature anyway?
The cake is a lie!

User avatar
TheChosenOne
Posts: 216
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
Location: Royal Palace, Weldyn St. 01, Wesnoth 123 456
Contact:

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by TheChosenOne » April 8th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Hello! First of all, let me say that I am an avid RPG player, and I must say, this scenario is awesome! The textures, the new tiles etc were wonderful, showcasing a level of creativity not seen very often in most RPGs. Sh1k4m4ru and me played it every weekend, starting about two months ago, and this was really wonderful! I especially liked the way the story flows.

It could still be improved, though. There are some issues which I believe needs addressing:

1) The medkit in the hospital. The unit which takes it gets to heal adjacent allies, but it cannot heal itself. This is very annoying, preventing the said unit from soloing in some places and worse, making him dependent on others' support.

2) The well near the flamethrower. I don't know if this was intentional, but it is possible to get into the well from outside, without even digging the dirt patch near the flamethrower, and actually get out on the inside. While this seems to be just a loophole, it can be dangerous if all four players decide to go in at the same time without discovering the dirt at all. Then they would be trapped inside and reloading would be the only route of escape.

3) The shotgun shell and flame barrel descriptions are confusing. It says that they add one attack, so in all the 400+ turns that we played, we thought it only adds 1 attack. It in fact added 1 strike. Please change this, or others will get even more confused.

4) The last, but the most important thing - We were unable to get past the impassable terrain in the chapel. I checked the code and realised that you wanted this impassable terrain to be removed once the statue near the pool has been fed with water. At first, we fed the statue water and only then did we find the entrance, so we thought maybe that is what caused the problem. So we reloaded. This time we tried finding the entrance, and then we fed the water to the statue.
Now what happens is that, the statue blocking my path in the chapel is removed, but the impassable terrain remains, which I think is not intentional. It's really sad, because I had hoped I would be able to get the 60-1 weapon :( Please fix this one...

That said, Zombie Apocalypse RPG is awesome. Congratulations! It must be real hard making one of these.

EDIT: 5) We were able to use the same rune multiple times. After one use, the colour changes from red to purple, but everyone else could still use it. You might want to check this one out too.
Attachments
Zombie_Apocalypse_RPG_replay.gz
(102.69 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by TheChosenOne on April 9th, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation

User avatar
Araja
Posts: 718
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:56 am
Location: Bath, England

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by Araja » April 8th, 2012, 9:39 pm

I can't say anything about the other points, but I'm fairly sure that medics are supposed to require help and protection from the rest of the team. It is a four-player co-op game after all, having to work as a team is hardly surprising. Besides, there are two medkits in the map and you can take a medic from the start, so you will always end up with someone to heal the healer.

User avatar
TheChosenOne
Posts: 216
Joined: April 7th, 2006, 8:26 am
Location: Royal Palace, Weldyn St. 01, Wesnoth 123 456
Contact:

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4c

Post by TheChosenOne » April 9th, 2012, 6:05 pm

We had two medics from the start, so it wasn't a problem at all. I just wanted to point out the bug that currently exists in the hospital medkit.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » April 10th, 2012, 9:16 pm

New version out, I fixed all of the issues you guys told me about.

-The runes being usable more than once and teleporting players without confirmation.
-Tanks and helicopters having weak resistances instead of strong.
-Soldiers having a missing movetype, hence no defense nor being able to move.
-Some issues in the church quest statue and in some wall near the flamethrower.
-Medic kits and medics now have self-heal.
-Chainsaw attack power was reduced slightly.
-Made Shotgun Shells and Fuel Tanks description easier to understand.
-Now the enemy AI should be outright suicidal in the way it uses its units, haven't tested but it should be that way.

Plus some little decoration changes, added some mobs around fixed some descriptions here and there and ummm nothing else I think.
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

Hex
Posts: 161
Joined: June 15th, 2010, 6:08 am

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by Hex » April 18th, 2012, 9:41 am

Can this update be applied with a existing save and be able to continue on that save even though we updated the era? Would the update effect the saved game any?

Here are a few more issues.

The baseball bats description of what its attack is before you pick it up, is different then the actual attack it gives.

Some of your add-on requires gun knowledge not all of us have. Plus we didn't even realise that there were two different attacks types, pistols and rifles/shotguns and you can only have one of each. And once we realised, we weren't entirely sure when a attack was a "rifle" and when it was a "pistol", which required a few reloading of our online games to test these issues. Also we didn't know of grendate would replace a melee weapon, whether it would really be one shot (because other things refer to "limited ammo" incorrectly") whether net would replace melee or grenade. These things should be detailed better in item description before picking up, and in the attacks description when we do have it.

And the "adds one shotgun attack" bonus, is frustrating to use because we didn't know which weapons counted as "shotgun". Even worse, if you step on that and don't have a shotgun, the bonus vanishes with no benefit to you. (does this bonus apply to future shotguns?)

Zombies should be weaker to pierce then impact weapons, after all, beating on them won't be nearly as effective as piercing their skull and pudding their brains. Also the whole pierce verses impact is so irrelevant against most mobs and the pierce weapons in general tend to be not as good.

Baseball bats and chainsaws having the equivalent of drain life that works on undead is too good, and doesn't make sense anyway.

Different classes have different bonuses? Like commandos have zone of control, scouts ignore zone of control, medics self heal (well apparently not special any more) or not? If there are these differences in classes, it should be made clear in the class description. If they don't have these unique bonuses, they should, the classes become too similar after awhile. And its strange how this game lacks ZoC stuff that makes games more interesting. Maybe ZoC could cause strikes against a foe if they violate it without the right special ability.

In our game, the endless movement thing when no enemies were around suddenly stopped working and never worked again. Speaking of, the endless movement thing should stop when they see you, not when you see them.

Which building is which is difficult to tell, like we got the key to the armoury, but what building is the armoury? Same with the bank, it goes on like this, very frustrating. The sign teleports are equally confusing, we have to keep on teleporting through them till we find the right one, and then try to memorise what each one sends you, but its difficulty to memorise and we have to do this over and over again. Buildings should have signs in front of them that tell you what the building, and signs should be labelled to tell you which location it is by its name, sort of a "you are here" indicator to make the process easier.

Here is the most difficult suggestion/topic I have for you.

The game is too easy, and it doesn't really feel like a survival game, or like we are really in any hurry to rescue anyone. I mean we go into a military institution overrun by undead, commander says their weapons were useless against them, but here comes 4 paratroopers that easily clean up everything, and using the weapons available to those same overwhelmed people.

Maybe we can carry multiple weapons, rather then one pistol, one rifle, one melee etc. But in exchange, ammunition is actually tracked, that is you can run out of bullets, and things like that bonus to flame-thrower attack (too powerful!) and extra shotgun attack could turn into more ammunition to keep the guns running. And the option of giving each other our weapons

Even better would be actual npc standing around under assault by undead, where their barriers would hold for so long, till overwhelmed and turned into undead themselves, where we need to actually protect them and lead them to safety. Where all events in the game were based on how many turns, rather then triggering other events, that way you feel like you need to hurry and save the town, rather then take your time and explore every crevice. Though I do understand that such a suggestion would require too radical a change to the existing map.

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » April 18th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Hex wrote:Can this update be applied with a existing save and be able to continue on that save even though we updated the era? Would the update effect the saved game any?
That is just not possible.
Hex wrote:The baseball bats description of what its attack is before you pick it up, is different then the actual attack it gives.
I'll keep that in mind.
Hex wrote:Some of your add-on requires gun knowledge not all of us have. Plus we didn't even realise that there were two different attacks types, pistols and rifles/shotguns and you can only have one of each. And once we realised, we weren't entirely sure when a attack was a "rifle" and when it was a "pistol", which required a few reloading of our online games to test these issues.
Main weapon, secondary weapon, and melee weapon(and some other exceptions such as the net and the HE Grenade).

I'll add explanation to how that works to clear any doubts players might have.
Hex wrote:Also we didn't know of grendate would replace a melee weapon
That isn't supposed to happen, I'll check that.
Hex wrote:whether it would really be one shot (because other things refer to "limited ammo" incorrectly")
Huh? And I'm quite sure I did write it in the dialogue that it has one time use.

And what do you mean by "other" things?
Hex wrote:whether net would replace melee or grenade. These things should be detailed better in item description before picking up, and in the attacks description when we do have it.
Will do.
Hex wrote:And the "adds one shotgun attack" bonus, is frustrating to use because we didn't know which weapons counted as "shotgun". Even worse, if you step on that and don't have a shotgun, the bonus vanishes with no benefit to you.
In the last version it mentions explicitly the name of the weapons it affects, even so they look like shotguns and I'm quite sure you don't need to be a member of the NRA to more or less guess what a weapon is given the picture...
Hex wrote:Different classes have different bonuses? Like commandos have zone of control, scouts ignore zone of control, medics self heal (well apparently not special any more) or not? If there are these differences in classes, it should be made clear in the class description. If they don't have these unique bonuses, they should, the classes become too similar after awhile. And its strange how this game lacks ZoC stuff that makes games more interesting. Maybe ZoC could cause strikes against a foe if they violate it without the right special ability.
That's because each class is supposed to have a role, that's why commandos do have ZoCs.
And yes I could add it to the class description as well, I just haven't worked in the unit descriptions at all.
Hex wrote:In our game, the endless movement thing when no enemies were around suddenly stopped working and never worked again. Speaking of, the endless movement thing should stop when they see you, not when you see them.
If someone else reports it I'll check on it, haven't seen that happen.
Hex wrote:Which building is which is difficult to tell, like we got the key to the armoury, but what building is the armoury? Same with the bank, it goes on like this, very frustrating. The sign teleports are equally confusing, we have to keep on teleporting through them till we find the right one, and then try to memorise what each one sends you, but its difficulty to memorise and we have to do this over and over again. Buildings should have signs in front of them that tell you what the building, and signs should be labelled to tell you which location it is by its name, sort of a "you are here" indicator to make the process easier.
You are shown a map at the beginning and you can also look at it during the game too.

It doesn't require much memorizing unless you are a golfish, the names of the areas are rather self-evident too.
Hex wrote:The game is too easy, and it doesn't really feel like a survival game, or like we are really in any hurry to rescue anyone. I mean we go into a military institution overrun by undead, commander says their weapons were useless against them, but here comes 4 paratroopers that easily clean up everything, and using the weapons available to those same overwhelmed people.
I could add difficulty modes I haven't really been working into difficulty since I have actually been trying to make the game playable lately. In the past the game was just too hard, in fact until about 2 versions ago I think nobody had actually managed to beat the game.

Also the game isn't technically a survival but a survival-themed RPG.

Also I see nothing particularly terrible about 4 paratroopers cleaning up, it's a GAME, Christ.
Hex wrote:Maybe we can carry multiple weapons, rather then one pistol, one rifle, one melee etc. But in exchange, ammunition is actually tracked, that is you can run out of bullets, and things like that bonus to flame-thrower attack (too powerful!) and extra shotgun attack could turn into more ammunition to keep the guns running. And the option of giving each other our weapons
That makes even less sense, carrying multiple weapons.

While the idea of the bullets is interesting, frankly it would be too much of hassle to code it also would sort of suck since wesnoth is a game that depends a lot on luck, it's not a FPS.

The flamethrower is a secret weapon, which can only be acquired once, it is supposed to be powerful.

While I could do that(players exchanging weapons), what is the point of that? Just don't pick up a weapon in the first place and leave for a friend for someone else. Sounds useless.
Hex wrote:Even better would be actual npc standing around under assault by undead, where their barriers would hold for so long, till overwhelmed and turned into undead themselves, where we need to actually protect them and lead them to safety. Where all events in the game were based on how many turns, rather then triggering other events, that way you feel like you need to hurry and save the town, rather then take your time and explore every crevice. Though I do understand that such a suggestion would require too radical a change to the existing map.
The first thing doesn't sound that bad but after a while it would be anoying, and the game is long enough already to be dragging around some npcs as well for no apparent reason.

The second sounds cool, and it wouldn't take that much of a radical change actually.

But also keep in mind that the players aren't really "saving the town", the town is already ravaged. Anyway I could use for that sort of mechanic, not for all of the events though.
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

Hex
Posts: 161
Joined: June 15th, 2010, 6:08 am

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by Hex » April 19th, 2012, 12:17 am

Can this update be applied with a existing save and be able to continue on that save even though we updated the era? Would the update effect the saved game any?
That is just not possible.
What is not possible? I asked multiple questions and you gave one vague answer to them all. So if if any of us were to update our era, our current saved game would be ruined?(that is my most important question of them all)
Also we didn't know of grendate would replace a melee weapon
That isn't supposed to happen, I'll check that.
I meant to type "if" not "of" I didn't say it did, I am saying it was unclear to us at the time of pickup what the effect might be, what gets replaced when.
In the last version it mentions explicitly the name of the weapons it affects, even so they look like shotguns and I'm quite sure you don't need to be a member of the NRA to more or less guess what a weapon is given the picture.
Pictures of the guns are only shown when you pick up the weapon, if you forget or accidental click past that screen at that time, you don't have much to go on. I think weapon attacks should tell you such details, I mean whether it is a pistol or rifle etc.
And what do you mean by "other" things?
At least the default gun of medics speaks of limited ammo in its description. Clearly this is a mood thing, but I only know that from lots of playing.
That's because each class is supposed to have a role, that's why commandos do have ZoCs.
And yes I could add it to the class description as well, I just haven't worked in the unit descriptions at all.
What are the abilities of the other classes? Each class should have beneficial abilities that the other classes can not get, including medic, if non-medics can now self heal with a kit, what does that leave them?

If hiding is the ability of scouts, then that is even more reason to make it so that endless move is not cancelled out when you see the enemy, but only when they see you.

ZoC for mobs would be good, and scouts could have skirmish.
In our game, the endless movement thing when no enemies were around suddenly stopped working and never worked again. Speaking of, the endless movement thing should stop when they see you, not when you see them.

If someone else reports it I'll check on it, haven't seen that happen.
Want our save? We have loaded from save multiple times as the game has gone really long, and since from when it stopped working, it never has worked again, even from reload.


You are shown a map at the beginning and you can also look at it during the game too.
It doesn't require much memorizing unless you are a golfish, the names of the areas are rather self-evident too.
No they aren't self evident. Many of those buildings on the map are not labelled and furthermore its difficult to compare the map to the actual playing area. The map is crude and can not be viewed at the same time or even when it is not our turn. We had 4 players in our game (now 3) and all 4 of us had to spend some time teleporting around till we got the right area, multiple times, so no, not self evident. Generally we found buildings by checking out the doors of all unexplored buildings till one opened with X new key etc. (and yes, we tried to use the useless map) I mean the games built in mini-map seemed more useful then that map.
Also I see nothing particularly terrible about 4 paratroopers cleaning up, it's a GAME, Christ.
Yes, I know its a game, but it clashes a bit. I mean you could put purple dinosaurs singing about friendship in too, as it is "just a game", if you wanted.

User avatar
PapaSmurfReloaded
Posts: 562
Joined: November 17th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.4.1

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded » April 19th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Hex wrote:What is not possible? I asked multiple questions and you gave one vague answer to them all. So if if any of us were to update our era, our current saved game would be ruined?(that is my most important question of them all)
The first question. It just isn't possible, they will be incompatible.

The game stores a series of variables when you save the game to know how much you have progressed, what units you have, etc.

Everytime I change the game I often add, change or remove variables.

So when you try to use an save from a very different version of the game, Wesnoth will just desync and/or crash.
Hex wrote:I meant to type "if" not "of" I didn't say it did, I am saying it was unclear to us at the time of pickup what the effect might be, what gets replaced when.
Okay.
Hex wrote:Pictures of the guns are only shown when you pick up the weapon, if you forget or accidental click past that screen at that time, you don't have much to go on. I think weapon attacks should tell you such details, I mean whether it is a pistol or rifle etc.
It also shows the image in the attack screen.

Even if it didn't, seriously, that's their problem, I don't see an actual reason to make the game dumb-proof.
Hex wrote:At least the default gun of medics speaks of limited ammo in its description. Clearly this is a mood thing, but I only know that from lots of playing.
It says "low ammo" because the default weapons of the units(the ones you start with at the beginning or when you spawn after you die) have half the amount strikes than other conventional weapons with the same name.

And in the case of the sniper rifle, half of the attack power because it's "damaged".
Hex wrote:What are the abilities of the other classes? Each class should have beneficial abilities that the other classes can not get, including medic, if non-medics can now self heal with a kit, what does that leave them?

If hiding is the ability of scouts, then that is even more reason to make it so that endless move is not cancelled out when you see the enemy, but only when they see you.

ZoC for mobs would be good, and scouts could have skirmish.
Which I know I could improve the uniqueness of the classes, the medic can still die and spawn with the medic kit. The others won't, they will lose it and won't be able to get it again.

Scouts can move across the forest and junk hills faster than other units.

And most of the mobs do have zoc.

I'll think about endless movement applying until the enemy sees you rather than the other way around, but I get the feeling that could be rather buggy and glitched.
Hex wrote:Want our save? We have loaded from save multiple times as the game has gone really long, and since from when it stopped working, it never has worked again, even from reload.
It's an old version of game, I'm not sure what version either so it's unlikely to be be of use.

Some versions(maybe 4) ago I do remember spotting the sort of issue you mentioned, but that was fixed as far as I know.

If see it happen in the current version of the game I'll check it.
No they aren't self evident. Many of those buildings on the map are not labelled and furthermore its difficult to compare the map to the actual playing area. The map is crude and can not be viewed at the same time or even when it is not our turn. We had 4 players in our game (now 3) and all 4 of us had to spend some time teleporting around till we got the right area, multiple times, so no, not self evident. Generally we found buildings by checking out the doors of all unexplored buildings till one opened with X new key etc. (and yes, we tried to use the useless map) I mean the games built in mini-map seemed more useful then that map.
The map is the very same you see on the top right corner of your screen rendered with wercator(surface only, of course).
Hex wrote:Yes, I know its a game, but it clashes a bit. I mean you could put purple dinosaurs singing about friendship in too, as it is "just a game", if you wanted.
Indeed I could if I wanted.

I got zombies, mutants, giants and vampires. Why not shoot a purple dinosaur too? You gave me an excellent idea.
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!

Post Reply