Map Workshop - pimping maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

Map Workshop - pimping maps

Post by Rigor »

Here is the place we collect the links to all 1v1 maps (actually, more the new maps, since default seems to need little improvement) to upgrade / repair / balance / enhance the gameplay on them.

i will edit this first page from time to time, so we have all links neatly presented on the first page and not on some page #17 in the bottom of the screen :eng:

that being said, you can start posting your ideas immediately, also small wishes have a chance!

have fun.
Rigor

Re: Map Workshop - pimping maps

Post by Rigor »

reserved for the future
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i would like to point out that serpent ford might need a slight change of terrain because a player who can recruit either in one or the other keep has a significant advantage over one that cannot. at turn 4.

at this occasion i repeat that the "forest over water" ambush doesnt work, because usually invisible units ARE visible. but Q knows that already, its a bug that should be fixed.

Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I won't change it as I currently don't believe its bad, however as I can be wrong you can try to prove it with replay :P

I updated map and config file to fix ambush issue (after all I found its not related to forests on water but to fact that woses cant hide next to petrified units - I don't know if its a bug or right behaviour).

Also have in mind that I am going to reimplement this map from scratch as I told you, and that whole operation is meant to be *significant improvement* to this map.

Pls forgive I don't have changes to Astral Port we speak about yesterday ;), Im still working on them.

Cheers
Q
Attachments
2p_Serpent_Ford.map
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
2p_Serpent_Ford.cfg
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

You guys know that I really strongly dislike Unfolding Space, but it's worth pointing out, in case you didn't catch it, that it has a guaranteed village steal for player 1.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i was thinking you might want to point out where this village stealing occurs, plus, what can be done about it rather than just pointing it out. for unfolding space i have this map changing plan:

Rigor

Post by Rigor »

here some major changes,

ready to be playtested:

ill upload a RP as soon as i finished a game on it.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

looks very very good, here a game vs dauntless loys (him) vs elves (me)

nice chatlog :)
Attachments
Eigene_Karte_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
rigor vs dauntless changed unfolding map
(26.38 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I've seen a few games on this map, and there are serious problems with lawful factions defending against chaotic factions during the first night. Try playing loyalists or drakes against a good undead or northerner.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

ill try loys vs orcs. are u talking about the old map version, because i guess you are. one thing i could do is to reduce the 4 unpassable mountains to 3, pulling the village a little closer to the center for a better defense, among other things. b4 changing more, i think we should play the game with the changes first for a while, because drakes have this "flying over deep water" advantage that is not up to date anymore and loys arent so fast on the map.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

this week i made some more changes on the map, now i think i solved the problems the map had earlier. there are also more possibilities at the start so every match will be different.

i hope u enjoy the map as much as i do.

replay attached. if u want it, go to menu -> save map as unfolding3
Attachments
unfolding_changes3.gz
unfolding 3
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
ParadiseCity

Post by ParadiseCity »

I would like to point out that p1 still has a guaranteed village steal for certain factions. If a 8+ move unit is recruited at the top castle space of the right keep, it can reach the upper right-hand village of p2 before they can. This could be particularly devestating if it was a loyalist cavalry against orcs(lack of initial pierce) or other players that didn't recruit pierce damage.

I'm also curious as to why most of the map is pretty balanced in terms of terrain, but the center gives p2 hills and p1 forests, which helps elves/dwarves/orcs more than other factions.

Apart from that, it looks pretty good.
"The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -Thomas Jefferson
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

well i am perfectly aware of the possibility of the cavalry charge in turn 3. however i want to remind you of the situation you described here:

you would NOT take the village as p1, but rather recruit in the other keep instead. that also means that at turn 2 there are 7 villages you need to take at turn 2 if you want every villages occupied, forcing you into some kind of specialized recruit. then, of course, at turn 3 the p2 leder is in the forwarded keep recruiting maybe 2 units who have the pretty guaranteed possibility to trap the rushing *whatever* and kill him slowly (because all other units are basically somewhere else, taking villages, plus, you wont have so much money left now to recruit at turn 4 because u spent it all already.

of course we dont want to forget what happens if u charge during the afternoon, so you must be kinda lucky concerning the matchup plus time of day, what would make it quite a gamble!

in one sentence i think i could say of course u can do this, but i doubt its worth it.

about the terrain in the middle:

i dont really think this matters a lot, but if you think it makes a difference, let me know. the map inventor didnt intend it to be quickly passable so i didnt think about making it easier yet.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

time for an update.

here some changes on fast to madness, de-pimping dwarves and drakes
Spoiler:
there some changes on unfolding space, making the flanks less dangerous for p2 during the first assault
Spoiler:
and still the same nice version of scarred foothills (some of u dont know it, so *BING* ITS A NEW MAP!!!)
Spoiler:
BIG_LIZARD_PWNZ

Post by BIG_LIZARD_PWNZ »

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: lololol +h3r3 15 5T1ll a fr33 v1llag3 5t3al 4 play3r 1 0n Unf0ld1ng 5pac3 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
PWND.