Issues with some mainline maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Issues with some mainline maps

Post by Dixie »

Hello people,

I almost posted this in "Mainline campaigns feedback", but hesitated with "Multiplayer development", but finally ended here. Please excuse me if the topic is misplaced.

I have noticed a lot of mainline maps start with p2 (blue) having an owned village at beginning. I have not tested all maps, but I know it does this with 2p - Sablestone Delta, 2p - Hamlet and 2p - Den of Onis. Not THAT big a deal, but it doesn't seem all that faire and balanced to me. Is anybody else experiencing this? (I would guess yes since I saw it both on local play and official server play).

Any thoughts on this?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Eskon

Re: Issues with some mainline maps

Post by Eskon »

Did you consider that maybe the fact that one player gets to play first is the unbalanced part? Pre-flagging a village for player 2 helps alleviate this by giving, essentially, 3 extra gold, and a bit more leeway in maneuvering the initial recruit since there is one less village to occupy, making for an easier defense in the case of a player 1 rush.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

And player 1 can rush quicker as well, especiall on very small maps.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Dixie wrote:it doesn't seem all that faire and balanced to me.
On the contrary, these maps would be imbalanced without it. :)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Moving first can be a very powerful advantage in Wesnoth; however, it's an advantage that can fade as the game grows longer. Trying to reduce Player 1's initial advantage - without producing disadvantage in the late game - is a tricky balancing act. By giving Player 2 a pre-flagged village, it gives them a small boost at the beginning of the game, which doesn't continue to boost them later in the game.

Quite a clever solution, really. I was impressed when the multiplayer developers thought it up - I believe it was Doc Paterson in particular who implemented it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Sangel wrote: Quite a clever solution, really. I was impressed when the multiplayer developers thought it up - I believe it was Doc Paterson in particular who implemented it.
*takes credit for all of the above*

:mrgreen:

The data is still accumulating, so time will tell what the overall impact will be. I like to think it's been a change for the better.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme