Wesnoth II - Wesnoth 3D.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Re: Wesnoth II - Wesnoth 3D.

Post by dipseydoodle »

Even if they did take up lots of space it's not like it would blow up your computer(unless your running a DOS on a 1 gigabyte drive or something lol).
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Having researched an thought about this topic more since my last post in this thread, I have a few things I would like to add to my previous observations.

1. With 3d models, either the size of the game goes up (by possibly a several hundred mb or more, depending on several factors), or the quality of the models must be compromised. Granted, Wesnoth may have a small enough scale to get away with models with an average number of polygons, but in addition to the models you'd have the animation data, which would include possibly several attacks, a defense, standing, and idle animation. Not to mention the textures and .cfg file. All for one unit. I'm not sure how this would compare to the average space taken up by the average wesnoth unit, but I believe it would certainly exceed the current average.

2. The 3d graphics would increase not only the amount of storage necessary to install the game, but also the CPU usage. Those of us with older machines might be unable to even launch the game if it demanded too much CPU time.

3. The sheer amount of work involved. I cannot claim to be much of a 3d modeler, and while there are others on these forums who can no doubt truthfully claim to be competent modelers, I doubt they'd be willing to commit the time and effort necessary to replace the entire sprite collection with animated 3d models.

4. I personally think 3d models would look out of place in Wesnoth's terrain, most of which is made by hand. You might solve this by rendering 3d terrain, but this would be very difficult and would also mean even more work and an even larger size for the game.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

The terrain will be made 3D as well.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hmmmm.... 3D wesnoth? sounds interesting.

But, I dont know how you can do to use well the 3rd dimension, maybe if you moves the camera to have different points of see. To see the battle in many angles, that should be awesome.

Well, I dont like to much the 3D games, but I love Command and Conquer Red alert 3 :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

IPS wrote:Hmmmm.... 3D wesnoth? sounds interesting.

But, I dont know how you can do to use well the 3rd dimension, maybe if you moves the camera to have different points of see. To see the battle in many angles, that should be awesome.

Well, I dont like to much the 3D games, but I love Command and Conquer Red alert 3 :)
No that won't happen, the view will be more like the one in Age Of Empires or Warcraft.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hmmmm... ok...

The maps should like awesome if you uses the Warcraft 3 Efects of fairies and something like :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Actually I've only played Warcraft, just so you know. :roll: Uhm, but I have played every Age Of Empires(except Age Of Myths which I really want to try).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

dipseydoodle wrote:except Age Of Myths which I really want to try
hint: if you play the expansion; play as Oranos, worship Prometheus, and then spam hero-ified Fanatics. expensive, but then you have an army that gets bonuses against every unit in the game AND regenerates :lol2:
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
borsook

Post by borsook »

Anyone interested in playing/creating 3d wesnoth should play Fantasy war series (with the Elven Legacy sequel and its expansions). It is mostly a 3d recreation of Fantasy General system and hence plays very similar to Wesnoth. It's a great game, 3d adds a lot of great effect to fighting but from the strategy point of view 2d works much better. You can just play without constant moving of a camera...
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

This is going nowhere fast. Soft lock until someone has something useful to add such as actual 3D models, discussion of code that might allow us to use these 3D models, or other technical discussion (like artisticdude's last one).
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

I would be willing to help as a beta tester, a website developer, documentation guru and storyline/lore creator if you need help with any of these.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Gambit wrote:This is going nowhere fast. Soft lock until someone has something useful to add such as actual 3D models, discussion of code that might allow us to use these 3D models, or other technical discussion (like artisticdude's last one).
Actually, I've been looking for a 3D modeling program(preferably GPL or CC) but I won't use blender because it doesn't save pngs on my computer as far i've seen after the last how many years that I've used it. If I can find a program I will begin work on terrain very soon(I hope).
Christheturtle wrote:I would be willing to help as a beta tester, a website developer, documentation guru and storyline/lore creator if you need help with any of these.
Sure(in other words, Yes Please! :D) that would be awesome. I'm hoping to use 3D .pngs for now. Perhaps Lua will work for now. I have experience with and I did write a few code for one of my abandoned adventures using it.

Why I would do this:

Lua allows you to actually draw the sprite/background(or in my case terrain) with out a complete base frame, in other words I have done such things were I have actually drawn a entire room or area with just a solid color saved as a .png and then just putting in the code.

Code: Select all

I may be wrong because I haven't used Lua for about a year but any way, this is a basic of what it would look like, it's no were near were the actual code would look but here goes.

Cube

File= blue-with-dots.png
EDIT: I think that I'm going to use Wings3D for the portraits and terrains. Maybe some units but seeing what was in the galleries I think I should use it for portraits and terrains.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Blender can render into .png. And what does it matter whether the program is GPL or CC or a commercial product? You can generate open source content in either of them.

If you're talking about renders of 3d models, that would work much better than having actual 3d models in the game. But I'm afraid I don't quite see the point in this endeavor if there is already a nearly-complete set of pixel sprites. Just for a different visual style? Seems rather pointless imo.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I agree. Complete 3D it is. After thinking last night I've come up with a little plan.

The game will host the first 5 campaigns in the original wesnoth called the prequel and 5 or more new ones that will take place after them. The prequel campaigns are.

Heir to the Throne.

Eastern Invasion.

The Rise of Wesnoth.

Liberty.

Under The Burning Suns.

The New campaigns will be(if no one minds).

Strange lands(One of my campaigns that takes place after the apocalypse era about how the "new" Wesnoth empire sends a steam powered ship across the ocean.

I'll post more in a few hours when I have time.

EDIT: Actually I'm with just one new one for now. The campaign will hopefully be in drop-down menus if this becomes a separate game. I'll have images in a few minutes.
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

Brilliant, I'm glad to be of assistance. Just send me a personal message when you need any of the stuff I said I'd help with doing.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.