Gobowars is back! 2p MP campaign for Wesnoth 1.10.x

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

H-Hour

Re: 2p MP campaign Gobowars

Post by H-Hour »

Hi jb,

Finally got around to trying this one tonight and we really enjoyed it. We're about 15 turns into the second scenario now and coming along nicely.

A few problems with the first scenario, though nothing that big:

1. Player 1 had the same color as the enemy (green). This carried through to the second scenario.

2. We both started off with the leaders from the faction we selected in the lobby, but the loyal units we got were from opposite team. Player 1 selected Rebels and got a Elvish Captain, but got peasants, a mud crawler and (I think) a spearman (some lvl 1 unit). Player 2 selected Loyalists and got a Lieutenant, but got two elvish fighters and a shaman. Is this intended?

3. The enemy leader had no name (Computer Player) and though the text seemed to indicate it would be a wolf rider, it was a Red Mage.

Anyway, good fun and thanks for it!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hello H-Hour.

It sounds like you didn't use the map settings? Try making sure the button is active "Use Map Settings".

The sides are supposed to be fixed, with custom leaders.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Hmm... I guess so! I wasn't on the hosting side so that could have been our mistake. Sorry about that!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Updated Gobowars to 1.12.

This update fixes a critical error in map 6, where purple is not moving properly.

Also, several balance tweaks along the way.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Sorry, another stupid question: will existing saves work if we update?
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

H-Hour
Sorry, another stupid question: will existing saves work if we update?
Yes, as long as your save is before map 6 you should be fine with updating.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: 2p MP campaign Gobowars 2.0

Post by jb »

Another update.

It seems there was a problem with a directory name being case sensitive for Lunix users. I've renamed the directories and hopefully solved this problem. Since this is a technical problem that rendered such users unable to play, I've changed the version number.

Also, made some additional balance changes to the final map, as it was still too easy. It's large and hard to balance, but it's getting closer all the time. Any save before map 6 is still safe to use even after upgrading versions.

Now, if I could just write some sensible story for this thing...
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I've posted another update (2.1) for Gobowars. This includes only a few balance tweaks for the later maps.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Schoki_MS

Post by Schoki_MS »

Hi there,

A friend and I have been playing Gobowars 2.0 (Wesnoth 1.8.1) for some time now and we are really enjoying it. The scenarios are interesting and seem to be well balanced (at least scenarios 1-4). So first of all a big thank-you! :D

But it seems that we are stuck in the 5th scenario. First of all, we were surprised that we can only recruit some of our experienced units. After hard fights in scenario 4 we managed several units to achieve at least lvl 2. However, most of them do not appear in the recruit list. First we thought that this was intentional to keep the scenario balanced but after numerous attempts we think that this might be a bug.

Anyway, although we tried different strategies (some of them were totally different) we always lost. In most cases, we didn't even reach the point where the entrance of the cave is removed and further enemies are released.

Can anyone give us some hints about a good strategy? After 20 failed attempts it really gets frustrating. :augh:
Our best strategy (i.e. which looked very promising) we quickly gathered our units on the land right to the base camp and quickly moved north to eliminate the goblin in the city. But our lvl1 units have almost no chance to stand the massive attack from the goblins and sea snakes(!).

Thank-you for reading, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Dirk
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hi Dirk,
But it seems that we are stuck in the 5th scenario. First of all, we were surprised that we can only recruit some of our experienced units. After hard fights in scenario 4 we managed several units to achieve at least lvl 2. However, most of them do not appear in the recruit list. First we thought that this was intentional to keep the scenario balanced but after numerous attempts we think that this might be a bug.
Yes, this is definitely a bug. You should have all troops available.

While MP campaigns are working, the saves are easily corruptible.

Here is some advice about the save.
-Always make sure the original host reloads the game.
-Never use the Start of Scenario save. Always manually save on turn 1 instead of using the auto-generated save.
-Try to go back to a map 4 save, if possible. The scenario is short enough to just play through again and hopefully map 5 loads properly.

Some advice about the map 5 itself.
-If you were able to save the Cuttlefish from map 3, recall it and about 6 nagas on turn one to take the water vills and control the river. This will force some goblins to attack you from the water, and keep the enemy fish busy.
-Don't try to cross the desert at night, unless you have to. There is no shame in running at night and countering at day. You should have drake recruits available now, they are quite helpful for counter attacks at day in the desert.
-Only a small squad needs to go northeast. A few units as a distraction. Your main force should power it's way across the ford (just south of the northeastern goblins) once your nagas and cuttlefish stablize the river.
-If you still get stuck, have one of you control side 3 as well (green). His side is meant to be human controlled if desired.

Glad you like it and I hope you can salvage your campaign.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Schoki_MS

Post by Schoki_MS »

Hi jb,

thanks for your hints.

Meanwhile, we have investigated the problem in more detail. We followed your suggestion and replayed the scenario starting somewhere close to the end of the 3rd scenario. We finished it quite similar to our previous attempt and continued without interruption with scenario 4 and 5. We did some manual saves at the beginning of each scenario (before recruiting units). But again, our experienced units from the end of the 3rd scenario didn't appear in the recruit list of scenario #5.
However, we discovered something new: the units which appear on the recruit list of scenario #5 are absolutely identical with the recruit list of scenario #3 (as if we had just finished scenario #2).

Now we come up with a new theory: I have 2 computers networked to each other and we started to play Gobowars we played via local network (i.e. each of us had his own computer). But when we met again to continue with the 3rd scenario, we switched from network to "local play" (because the other computer was not available at that time). Although it worked... maybe something went wrong here.

I've attached some savegames, perhaps you can look at them.
Gobowars.zip
various savegames of scenario #3-5
(291.74 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Thank-you,
Dirk
Schoki_MS

Post by Schoki_MS »

jb,

Problem resolved. I upgraded to Wesnoth 1.8.4. and switched back to "Network" instead of "local play" and now all units are available.

Strange thing.... but we are happy now. Time to send some goblins to heaven... :lol2:

Best regards,
Dirk
sumofchemicals

Post by sumofchemicals »

Hey, I enjoyed the campaign. I got to the 5th map but was unable to recruit any of my previous fighters the entire campaign. I thought this was an intentional choice until this last map, after losing a couple times I checked out the forums and see this has been an issue before. Playing Wesnoth 1.8.5 on Ubuntu 10.10, whatever the current version of the campaign is, I just downloaded it in the last week or two. I uploaded a file I saved at the beginning of the 5th map, if that's any help.
Attachments
Gobowars5_Turn_1-start.gz
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Sadly, I'm not a great coder so many of these complex problems elude me.

Still, try giving me a save from map 4, before the problem happens. The map 5 save does little good.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Gobowars is back!

Version 2.1 is now on the 1.10.x add-on server.

Be sure to read How to safely reload mp campains before hosting.

Gobowars is a seven scenario battle-focused MP campaign. It features fun maps and interesting combat situations. It plays like a standard Wesnoth campaign. No upgrades, no items...but some loyal heroes. The story is tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. The carnage, however, is quite real.

As a side bonus, maps 5,6,and 7 all have an allied AI side. By default this AI side is controlled by the computer. However, this side is designed with observers in mind. Any observer can take over a small allied side, or you can simply play with it droided. It will have only the smallest effect on balance, but allows an additional player to join the fun if desired.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars