Gobowars is back! 2p MP campaign for Wesnoth 1.10.x

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MRC_Tideggur

Re: Gobowars is back! 2p MP campaign for Wesnoth 1.10.x

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

Hey jb,

My buddy and I are on the last level (Battle 7) and we are having some issues beating it. We have spent numerous hours fighting this stage and are getting pretty sick of it (we just want to beat this stage and be over with this campaign). Can you give us some tips, like you did for the other guy here? We have the Northeast area under control, its that stupid middle area to the west where we are having trouble?

Please and Thank You,
MRC_Tideggur
MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

Another 4hrs spent tonight(closing in on 30hrs total on this map :evil: :evil: :evil: )...We got a good position in the middle (I saved at Turn 25). I was able to sneak some guys through the cave to the south and make a mini push to ease off some of the pain from Orange. Green set up a nice defense in the caves to the NE of the middle garrison. Blue/Green have a solid front line vs Purple North of starting location.

How many turns should we chill in the middle for? Brown keeps sending Mermen and Nagas and we have no cover if we move out of the middle. And yet we are supposed to do this in 75 turns... :eng: :eng: :eng:

JB I saw you popped in my created channel earlier, but I had to get dinner started and I just missed you. Sorry for that. :(

-MRC_Tideggur
MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

jb,

Oh how I hate you for wasting 40-hrs of my life on this 1 level...

-MRC_Tideggur
Attachments
Needed 2-3 more turns.
Needed 2-3 more turns.
MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

jb,

I want to stab myself after finding out that this wasn't the last battle :doh: :doh: :doh:

-MRC_Tideggur
Attachments
WoW!
WoW!
Baryon

Post by Baryon »

Hello,
Been playing the third? scenario - the one with Sticks and Stones - and finding it quite difficult already. We thought it was a shame that the two sides are divided by unpassable mountains, so for a long time we were just defending against the hordes and it felt like playing two separate single-player campaigns. After several tries we eventually managed to move out and had just reached Sticks by the final turn - and we failed to kill him before the time ran out.
Any advice on this scenario?
MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

Baryon wrote:Hello,
Been playing the third? scenario - the one with Sticks and Stones - and finding it quite difficult already. We thought it was a shame that the two sides are divided by unpassable mountains, so for a long time we were just defending against the hordes and it felt like playing two separate single-player campaigns. After several tries we eventually managed to move out and had just reached Sticks by the final turn - and we failed to kill him before the time ran out.
Any advice on this scenario?
Baryon,

I do not have a save file from mine still. Can you provide me with a ScreenShot of which map this was, and then I may be able to give you some advice?
Baryon

Post by Baryon »

Thanks - it looks like this.
MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

Oh yeah that map...So here is what I can tell you.

So the Red Player needs to make that push North into the forest and make a stronghold up in there with Elves and such. Keep pressing north to take out that enemy. Then push East and take out the boss to the NorthEast of the map, and then you guys will meet in the SouthEast for the last boss.

The Blue Player needs to recruit enough guys to form a line inside the cave. You see the spots where the light is shining down? Let your enemies occupy those spots since they are Orcs and get a negative bonus in the Light. Keep cycling guys in and out when they get damaged/healed. Eventually(I forget what turn) you will get a break and make a push out.

So in my opinion on this map, it all relies on the Blue Player to maintain as many troops as they can and just hold off the assault.

Hope this helps since it doesn't seem anyone else checks in here anymore. If you need any other advice please feel free to ask. (I have email notifications turned on)

-MRC_Tideggur
Baryon

Post by Baryon »

Thanks. We managed to beat it.
On the fifth scenario now, the Gamma Goblins. I think we can handle it but it's interesting to compare strategies anyway if you'd like to comment :) This is the one with the cave that opens up on turn 15 and there are six goblin enemies.
The community in general seems a bit quiet really...

MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

Baryon,

For that map we (Red & Blue) recruited a few water units to hold up in the water cities for the extra gold. We had the Blue Player and Red Player form a land squad and move north into the wooded area and made a formation down to the edge of land so no land units could flank us. Just hold this position until you find the right moment and start pushing west into the castle area and take out that first boss(Purple) ASAP to slow down the onslaught. Once you have him gone, just keep pushing west and getting good position in the castle wall areas and pick apart the middle boss(Black or Brown). By this time the Turquoise boss will start filing out with Level 2 Goblin Knights. Finish off the last boss up there (Black or Brown) push South into the Caves.

Red Player also needs to hold that mount area to the Northwest of the starting area (you have it right in your SS). Once Purple boss is killed up North you can push West and help Blue Player take out Orange.
Blue Player also needs to move West in the middle there, and push with Red Player to take out Orange quickly.

Green just push West and take out that boss with the help of the 2 Red & 2 Blue Dwarves. Once you find a good amount to send West, start sending some Northwest towards Orange and to help in the middle.

Once all of this happens and all Red & Blue Player's Forces meet up at the mouth of the Cave, it's only a matter of time til Turquoise gets obliterated.

Glad I am able to provide strats to someone!
-MRC_Tideggur
Baryon

Post by Baryon »

Thanks, that's what we did.
We just finished that enormous second-to-last map too.
This is how it looked shortly before the victory - looks a bit different to what you had.

What we did was have one team going north straight away, the dwarves defend against the mermen and the other team goes into the middle where there is a ruined keep tile and makes a wall there to defend. We also built up a navy of nagas, cuttle fish and the sea serpent to go around in the water and create an additional front. When the north enemy was defeated, that team came back and helped push out against the mermen then continued up to the merman enemy. Some of the troops from that team were also used to go into that roundabout cavern in the middle to help with the push westward. At about turn 45-50ish we were able to go out towards the west. The navy attacked from the water, keeping pace with the land troops. Finally, we had several drake troops as well as the gryphon which are perfect for this section as they can fly over the chasm hexes which no other troop can stand on. We also gave the navy a shyde for healing, since they can float over the water and easily keep pace.
With that strategy we comfortably defeated the last enemy with just one or two turns to spare!

It was the most epic scenario ever. That map - and the whole campaign even - is very well designed.
MRC_Tideggur

Post by MRC_Tideggur »

Great job!

I agree this campaign is very well designed and a lot of thought put into it. Wish we had more MP Campaigns like this.

Let me know how you do on the last level, my buddy that I play this with picked up another job and we haven't had any time to pick back up yet.