Another Proposed Change to Healing [split]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ALX23

Another Proposed Change to Healing [split]

Post by ALX23 »

{edit: split from A Proposed Change to Healing}

What about this solution:
Add two types of healing commutative-type and non-commutative-type.
commutative (for RPG games) - at the beginning of the healers turn he heals adjusted allied units. If there are two adjusted healers then they heal him twice.
rest is an example for a commutative-self-healing.

non-commutative - at the beginning of healers' turn he gives adjusted allies "ability" healed + X (or replaces already existed one if it is lesser).
At the beginning of the turn of unit with "healed+X" he receives +X hp or poisoned damage is not applied. And the ability is being removed.
(You just have to make sure that healer "heals" before the unit is "being healed")
cures-works the same as non-commutative healing - it gives ability "being cured" (even if he is not poisoned) which cures the unit at the beginning of unit's turn. (and also is removed right after being applied)
The bad thing is that "cures" has to be rewritten. Or it will be hard to track if unit was cured a moment ago by an ally, and now it shouldn't receive healing from your healers.

A simple form: if unit at the end of his turn stands near an allied healer he will be healed at the beginning of his next turn. (unless the healer was killed and had no opportunity to heal)

Generally: I do not agree with stacking-(allied-only)-healing, that's why I propose this. Healing's stacking is not to be dependent on whose side healers are.
pauxlo

Re: A Proposed Change to Healing

Post by pauxlo »

I think you mean "cumulative", not "commutative" :-)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

ALX23 wrote:What about this solution:
Add two types of healing commutative-type and non-commutative-type.
commutative (for RPG games) - at the beginning of the healers turn he heals adjusted allied units. If there are two adjusted healers then they heal him twice.
rest is an example for a commutative-self-healing.

non-commutative - at the beginning of healers' turn he gives adjusted allies "ability" healed + X (or replaces already existed one if it is lesser).
At the beginning of the turn of unit with "healed+X" he receives +X hp or poisoned damage is not applied. And the ability is being removed.
(You just have to make sure that healer "heals" before the unit is "being healed")
cures-works the same as non-commutative healing - it gives ability "being cured" (even if he is not poisoned) which cures the unit at the beginning of unit's turn. (and also is removed right after being applied)
The bad thing is that "cures" has to be rewritten. Or it will be hard to track if unit was cured a moment ago by an ally, and now it shouldn't receive healing from your healers.

A simple form: if unit at the end of his turn stands near an allied healer he will be healed at the beginning of his next turn. (unless the healer was killed and had no opportunity to heal)

Generally: I do not agree with stacking-(allied-only)-healing, that's why I propose this. Healing's stacking is not to be dependent on whose side healers are.
You are suggesting the use of abilities to track how much healing will be applied. That's an interesting idea. However, you are changing the entire schedule of events.

For one thing, I want to be able to actively select who I am going to heal by moving my healer to the location of the ill person. Under your idea, that would no longer be possible.

(FYI, the main novelty of my proposal was that it allows healing to take place both at the start of the units own turn and/or at the beginning of allied healers turns. You seem to have missed that.)

For another thing, it just doesn't make sense from a realsim perspective. Imagine if the healer is killed (or teleported away) during or after their turn, before the healing ability is applied. Then when it is finally applied, it defies logic.

Since this proposal differs so greatly from mine, therefore, I am splitting it off into its own topic.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ALX23

Post by ALX23 »

Sapient wrote:For one thing, I want to be able to actively select who I am going to heal by moving my healer to the location of the ill person. Under your idea, that would no longer be possible.

(FYI, the main novelty of my proposal was that it allows healing to take place both at the start of the units own turn and/or at the beginning of allied healers turns. You seem to have missed that.)
Then you can replace it with something simpler. Healers heal the unit at the end of unit's turn - even above max hp. However if unit has more than max hp or poisoned than at the beginning of his turn his health is reduced by the healing value, but it won't get less than maximum unless unit is poisoned (but regular poison damage is not applied).
Cure works regularly but after health bonuses-minuses.
This has more-or-less the same affect as your proposal, but it is simpler and has no complex confusing situations.
And it doesn't require complex allied situations (which somebody might want - but you know, "KISS").
Sapient wrote:For another thing, it just doesn't make sense from a realsim perspective. Imagine if the healer is killed (or teleported away) during or after their turn, before the healing ability is applied. Then when it is finally applied, it defies logic.
Nah, you didn't even try explain it - its' really easy. Just as easy as the one above.