Legend of Wesmere - Multiplayer Campaign Port

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Legend of Wesmere - Multiplayer Campaign Port

Post by fabi »

DurinMusicspear wrote: However i found a lot of things that does not work so well in my opinion:

* With 2 players and only one castle, recruiting get kinda slow and you have to keep your leader close to the castle for many turn to be able to recruit a full army. I guess the problem is not that easy to solve since the only way i can see to solve this is to redesign the map and have one castle for each player.
I have included second keeps in those scenarios where it was easy doable.
* Each player seems to start with too much gold (we played in Normal mode) and we got huge armies so the map got quite crowded and it was really no challenge do defeat the enemies. Maybe the gold should be divided by the number of players?
You played in normal mode? There is no way to choose the difficulty in MP, so how did you do that?
MP works by predefining HARD. I could predefine NORMAL and divide the gold.
* Sometimes the AI players just stay in their castle and play very defensive (not moving units at all unless you get very close to the castle) for example the top left orc team on the second scenario.
There are no orcs in the second scenario. Do you mean the third one?
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

fabi wrote: Shared fog view is now enabled for the allied players.
That's great fabi, thanks!
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Well, we're stuck on the Saurian Treasury. As I said before, we're usually Normal-difficulty players but so far we've done alright because of what I guess is an excess of gold that piles up in the mp version.

Does anyone have any tips for us? We've restarted several times with different tactics, but
Spoiler:
We're just about at the point of cheating our way through, which neither of us want to do.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Some updates to the multiplayer port of the campaign in 1.9.0+svn:

I have added more separated keeps for Landar and Olurf to avoid the need to switch the leaders during the recruiting phase.

The first part of the campaign was renamed to "Chapter one" which features the scenarios 1-7, playable with two players.
A second part begins with scenario 9 (8 is a story only scenario) and ends after 17. This "Chapter two" is a three player campaign (Olurf being the third human playable side).
The "Chapter three" begins with 19 (18 is story only) and ends like the regular singleplayer campaign and is playable by only two players again.

The second and third parts are only playable if at least one of the participating players has finished the former one successfully.
The reason for this is the fact that the recruit lists of the former part are going to be reloaded, featuring the new persistent global variables feature
Upthorn implemented during his gsoc commission.

The solution with the three different chapters will make it more easy to find a third player for Olurf since returning to the lobby is not possible during a
multiplayer campaign.
Since those features are only in 1.9.x, there will be no backport to the 1.8.x series.

There have also been some changes to the scenarios, please have a look at the regular development thread.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Version 1.9.2+svn/1.9.3

Chapter One: Scenarios 1-3, Chapter One End; 2 Players
Removed the shaman and scout from the players' recruit lists.
Chapter One is known to have bugs left but is playable, beta stadium.

Chapter Two: Scenarios 4-7, 8(Story only); 3 Players
Chapter Two is known to have bugs left but is playable, beta stadium.

Kalenz and Landar can recruit Scouts from the beginning of scenario 4 on.

Split Chapter One in two halves and made Cleodil a third human played side.
That introduces some new tactical challenges caused by the differentiated recruit lists of the sides.

Landar and Kalenz are still able to recruit the "earth path" units, namely the fighter, archer and scout but not the shaman.
Cleodil on the other hand is able to recruit shamans, woses and scouts.

Woses have the regeneration ability and thus don't benefit from healers supporting them.
Kalenz and Landar don't have any healing beside villages but can offer protection to Cleodil's units in return.
Considering that the wose is a special unit which can't jump in that gape for long.
This will lead to the need of coordinating at least the healing in an efficient manor.
I went for Cleodil's side always being the last playing in a turn to give the player the chance to position the healers right.

Please led me know if that works in practice.

Chapter Three: Scenarios 9-11, 12(Story only); 4 Players
Still in early beta stadium supposed to fail somehow.
Olurf joins in late 7 and is playable by a fourth player from 9 on.

Chapter Four: Scenarios 13(Story only) 14,16,17,18(Story only); 4 Players
This Chapter is in early alpha stadium.

Chapter Five: Scenarios 19,20(Story only),21,22,23; 2 Players
This part of the Campaign is no longer played cooperatively but competitively.
Kalenz and Landar lead the elves in a civil war against each other.
This Chapter is in early alpha stadium.

SVN aware testers, please give some feedback about Chapter One and Two.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I have a bug to report. It happened when I logged onto the main 1.9.4 MP server about a week ago and started the first chapter of LoW. I connected with a friend of mine to play through. Playing the third scenario of chapter one, when control is given of Kalenz and Landar they are both controlled by the first player. The second player is still in the game but has no units. They continue to accumulate gold however. The scenario finishes normally under the first player's control.

However, upon going to the second chapter, everything breaks down. Neither Kalenz nor Landar are created and an out-of-sync error is given.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Insinuator wrote:I have a bug to report. It happened when I logged onto the main 1.9.4 MP server about a week ago and started the first chapter of LoW. I connected with a friend of mine to play through. Playing the third scenario of chapter one, when control is given of Kalenz and Landar they are both controlled by the first player. The second player is still in the game but has no units. They continue to accumulate gold however. The scenario finishes normally under the first player's control.

However, upon going to the second chapter, everything breaks down. Neither Kalenz nor Landar are created and an out-of-sync error is given.
Hello, I have fixed the bug in trunk, so the next released version of Wesnoth will work better.
Thank you for the report.
whitewizard

Post by whitewizard »

I cannot even begin to get past Costly Revenge scenario on the easy setting, and I am a very good player. I even worked on developing this campaign years ago. Overall, LoW was my favorite campaign, but now I want to see this scenario massively changed. Am I missing something?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

whitewizard wrote:I cannot even begin to get past Costly Revenge scenario on the easy setting, and I am a very good player. I even worked on developing this campaign years ago. Overall, LoW was my favorite campaign, but now I want to see this scenario massively changed. Am I missing something?
Hello whitewizard,
please tell me what version you played and even better send me a prestart savegame from the scenario.
Did you play single or multiplayer?
Rya

Post by Rya »

I wonder if you still check this thread. I decided to play this campaign with a friend and I ran into two issues in version 1.8.5 and just wanted to ask if that will be fixed in the future or if it is even known:
1. If my friend disconnects, I save the game and then rehost, it will be reserved for "human7". Even if my friend joins into the lobby, the game cannot be started.
2. In the third scenario the heroes in the castle are called "Kalenz" and "Landar" although they are actually two different people. The mission objective says something about protecting a unit that isn't even in the game.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Rya wrote:I wonder if you still check this thread.
Yes, I do.
I decided to play this campaign with a friend and I ran into two issues in version 1.8.5 and just wanted to ask if that will be fixed in the future or if it is even known:
1. If my friend disconnects, I save the game and then rehost, it will be reserved for "human7". Even if my friend joins into the lobby, the game cannot be started.
2. In the third scenario the heroes in the castle are called "Kalenz" and "Landar" although they are actually two different people. The mission objective says something about protecting a unit that isn't even in the game.
The 1.8 version will not get another update,
Can you reproduce the bugs on 1.9?
The wrong unit names are already fixed there IIRC.
Rya

Post by Rya »

I prefer not to update my Wesnoth version all the time, because it's a really tiresome process, but glad to hear it's already fixed. Also trying something out isn't exactly easy as you will need to replay the whole campaign each time.

Is 1.9 backwards compatible with 1.8? Then maybe I could overwrite only this one campaign and still be able to use my save states?

We really need something like a debug mode for multiplayer (I mean only if the map has been marked to allow debug).
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

You can use "Debug" on MP maps.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

I have disabled the Multiplayer Port completely since there is still no proper support for MP campaigns available
to allow inclusion in a stable release.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Arg. After all the progress made on MP campaigns, this is disappointing news.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty