World Conquest NM

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turret544

Re: World Conquest NM

Post by turret544 »

My friend and I are doing a run on nightmare difficulty, and we noticed that the AI doesn't use all of his gold (i.e. each turn he might not recruit a full castle even though he has 600+ gold)
Death

Post by Death »

i too encountered this bug. here's a replay of it happening on the first level.

the enemy seems to recruit every other turn or something... but not consistently. it's quite bizarre.

after i beat this level, though, the second scenario had no AI recruiting hangups.
Attachments
weirdWCnightmarerecruit.gz
(58.92 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
turret544

Post by turret544 »

My friend and I are encountering an issue where, after loading from the middle of a scenario, upon ending the turn the non-host players will experience out-of-sync issues, the description saying "unknown source of attacks".

Sometimes during the enemy turn where the sync error occurs, me (being the host) gets this error message:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/705/wesnotherror.jpg

Then it kicks me from the game.
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

I just watched the replay and get an OOS right before the defective AI behavior. IMO, those errors are beyond the scope of the campaign. I'd need to know how to reproduce the errors to be able to work on it. As for now, such issues hasn't show up on my system.

@turret544:
Looking at your screenshot, I notice your client version is 1.7.15-1.8rc1.
Updating to the latest Wesnoth version should resolve this issue.

@Death:
There is indeed a bug. I have been able to somewhat reproduce this. The misbehavior shows up when loading a replay from main menu. That also seems to be an issue with the AI and your client version; hard to tell. While this problem hasn't show up here in gameplay, an OOS is produced when watching the sample replays I tried. On the other hand, once the replay is loaded, if you reload the replay (from preference -> load), everything is okay, at least with the samples I produced, not with your replay. An other strange behavior, maybe the root of this; when you click the stop button in the replay (the one that resets the replay to the beginning), more heroes are spawned on each player sides, of course causing OOS after some turns.

I'll upload a new version tonight, hoping it fixes most problems; we'll then see what happens next.
turret544

Post by turret544 »

Tonight I updated up to WC version 1.8.0c on wesnoth version 1.8

Running a local game, I noticed that upon proceeding to the second scenario, there is no bonus gold carried over. All three players started the second scenario with the bare minimum 175 gold, despite the intended 400+ carryover gold for each player.
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

I am quite glad to hear this is the only issue. The gold not carrying over is on purpose. That was initially a bug, but since it allows more control over the difficulty level, it has been left as it is.

Balancing the carryover gold requires more time than available at the moment. You can expect to see it back somewhere in the near future. But since some new goodies are waiting to get in, the gold balance will be accounted once those features makes it through.

In the meanwhile, I do hope the campaign is still fun and playable.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

turret544 wrote:Running a local game...
[short distraction, but important]
Please note, that local games are very different to games played on the server, especially regarding savegame information processing. You might encounter bugs for a local game that are not found on the server and vice versa.
[/short distraction]

Keep on moving :) .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Death

Post by Death »

hi, another small bug, i *think* i'm playing the latest version so it should be relevant:

when playing rebels, and selecting "cultivate new recruits," many of the selections are units already available (elvish fighters, etc.). I've only seen it for rebels.

also, another minor one:

dunno what causes it. found on level 4
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

What is going on

Post by Natasiel »

Thank you all for your help and feedback.

World Conquest has initially been written on 1.4 by TL, then ported to 1.6. Since then TL stepped on a teleporter and disappeared out of sight leaving an impressive pile of code behind. While WC was indeed fantastic in it's possibilities, it still lacked a maintainer. Then some Wesnoth's RNG threw in weird numbers and elected me as said maintainer.

From since then, lots of new bugs showed up and some older still lurks in. Many has been fixed, but the beastly nature of TL's masterpiece of work required more to be done. Then in the process of assimilating it, a complete rewrite couldn't be avoided.

So this is where we are today. I'm completely rewriting WC plus or minus from scratch. Fitting in new hacks and removing those antiquated from previous versions.

Despite a very limited time frame, I have lots of fun doing it and the process is advancing at an encouraging speed. I consider myself privileged to witness TL's artwork and only hope to bring up the flame to what will soon be World Conquest v2 in a renewal of it's former glory.

In the mean time, forgive me if some bugs like "male_names=" still shows up (that's an old bug), I'll freeze 1.9 as it is and spend my time on the next completely rewritten release.

So, the goal of this message was simply to bring in some signal about WC not being really dead but just awaiting it's next reincarnation.

have fun,

Nat.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i love incarnations!
turret544

Post by turret544 »

Has any significant changes been made from 1.8.0 to 1.9.0 WC NM?
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

changelog 1.11:
Early finish bonus to gold now works. ( village_count * turn_bonus ) gp added to the minimum.
There is no other known problems.

changelog 1.10:
Recruit list is slowly populated to your full initial faction.

changelog 1.9:
The only change is upon the recruit list which has been brought back to the traditional 4 units on first scenario.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

i'm not sure if this still applies or not, but something changed between 1.8.1 and 1.8.2. i was trying to play a game a little bit ago, i had 1.8.2, P2 had 1.8.1 and P3 had 1.8.0. however, while they could see all items in the same locations, they were in different locations for me. so for example, while they would see that a unit had gotten arcane melee and increased damage, i would see that nothing happened which would eventually cause OOS.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

changelog 1.11:
Early finish bonus to gold now works. ( village_count * turn_bonus ) gp added to the minimum.
There is no other known problems.
Well, I think it's working too good now.

Map 3 - 600g
Map 4 - 900g
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

changelog 1.12:
Gold is working like it was on 1.6 ... I think.

The carryover dialog at the end of each scenarios might be wrong of 1 gp due to some rounding, but overall each players should receive the right amount of money.

Have fun.

@ turret544: Basically, everything is fixed by now.

@ Pentarctagon: There seems to be OOS issues between 1.8.2 and other 1.8.x versions. So far as my tests can tell, if every players use 1.8.2, the campaign runs fine.

@ jb: The previous formula even turned lead into gold.