World Conquest NM

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: World Conquest NM

Post by Pentarctagon »

another bug: if i had my leader automoving to a location over several turns, and the scenario ends before my leader reaches that location, at the start of the next scenario my leader will move to reach that location. and since delay shroud updates is off by default, i can't undo the move.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think I found a workaround for your problem with OOS.
The problem was unstoring units with advance=true (which has bugs in 1.8).

I worked around that by selecting an advancement at random and spawning a [unit] in its place.

Replace your add-ons/WC_NM/utils/recruit.cfg with this version to fix it.

Also, I have a suggestion: why not use shroud instead of fog?

Part of the fun of random maps is that you have to explore them to find out the details of the map.
Attachments
recruit.cfg
add-ons/WC_NM/utils/recruit.cfg
(9.4 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Not to pile on the problems, but Poison status is carrying over from map to map.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

changelog 1.13:
If a unit were poisoned in a previous scenario, it is no longer poisoned when recalled.
*The leader automove upon next scenario seems fixed on 1.8.2, at least I haven't been able to reproduce it.

@jb: True, I'll take care to cure every units before storing them on the recall list. (making me feel like a good nurse)

@Pentarctagon: I am not sure if there is a way to cancel automove. If I find out a solution, you'll see it in the next version.

@Sapient: In v2, which is a complete rewrite, the map is already shrouded by default. As far as I am aware, TL's hack did the job for unit advancement. The OOS are caused by the randomly generated bonus on the map, which are spawned on different locations if the client versions differ (there is inconsistency when a client trigger the bonus pickup event when an other sees a blank, normal hex). A simple reload of the map fixes the issue, putting bonuses on the same locations for everyone.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

new bug: the enemy leader in the first scenario starts with 25 gold (peasant difficulty).
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

Pentarctagon wrote:new bug: the enemy leader in the first scenario starts with 25 gold (peasant difficulty).
More a blank than a bug. I set AI gold to 0 gp on "easy" for testing purpose; it quickly allows to get through 1st scenario in a pseudo-simulated way. I don't know why, don't know how, but it finally gets 25gp. AI clearly cheats and frauds the tax agency!

Unless really required, it is going to be fixed on the next update to save planet's bandwidth.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

that makes sense actually. 25 gold is the lowest starting gold setting allowed, and anything lower is raised to 25.
TL

Post by TL »

Holy pants, it's been a long time.

Natasiel, I'm gratified that you've put in the work to keep this going in my extended absence (I know JWcarried the torch at some point, so I owe him thanks too.) I'm not surprised that you've opted to go for a re-write; when this was shiny and new I was pretty proud of how slick the scripts were, but I have a bad habit of grafting on hack after hack, and I don't even want to think about how it must have been adapting it through all the new Wesnoth versions since I left...

I don't know much help I can really provide at this point, since I'd probably just about have to re-learn things from scratch, but if you have any questions or would like a helping hand I'd certainly be glad to contribute in any way I can.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Welcome back TL. You owe me approximately 200 hours of my life back.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

Welcome back TL,

World Conquest is quite popular; there are still plenty of people playing it on the MP server to this day. I know neither why, neither how, but did end up carrying a torch somewhere in the midst of a dark night. And to be honest, I have somewhat been of a slacky maintainer. To prove this, I got to ask jb if the poison transfer over scenarios has been fixed?

V2 is stalling, there has been compatibility issues in 1.8.x giving OOS between different versions; totally over my head. For the hacks over hacks habits, I can completely understand; v2 which has been rewritten with the aim to be an easily readable template, is already hacks over hacks and already needs some rewrites. As a matter of facts, v2 code usually ends up much as the same as in v1. Might be inexperience, but WML seems like a fragile, big, heavy thing to handle.

So, after all this time, if you ever want back the shared or exclusive authority over WC, just let me know. And if you want some clueless advise; rewriting for the sake of readability is the best way to get back into some forgotten code. :)
TL

Post by TL »

How up to date is the version on the addons server? I guess I can take a look when I get home. OOS between different versions is more or less par for the course, though, and I'm not sure it's something that's likely to be fixable in WML.
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

The version on the addons server is a (edit: pseudo-)working v1; tought that time shall suppress 1.8.1 and lesser versions by itself. I could send you v2 by PM, but be warned that it is still ugly, hackish and incomplete. IMHO, it is not worth it yet.

I'll try to get some free time to trim it in the next few days then send it to you. (maybe even later today)
TL

Post by TL »

No pressure, I don't know how when I'd actually get enough time to take a serious look through it anyhow. There are some parts that I think I'd be inclined to just rip out regardless, faction/recruit management in particular. There's some ridiculously messy legacy stuff in there since the original vision for the campaign was slightly different in that regard and shifted a couple times as I worked on it.
salade

Post by salade »

some issue reports related to some treasures
  • Improved flight - it is described as "Units that can already fly get extra movement.", but it doesn't really increase the movement speed of flying units. I think i saw "flying units" took it for 3 times and it never increase base movement. In the game that Nat and I have just observed, a fire drake took it and the move is remain as 6/6, but it becomes a true flying that could fly on deep water with 1mp. Either the treasure or the description should be fixed
  • Heals + Cures - when a shaman took it, it doesn't show as +8. I didn't have chance to know if it actually could heal for 8 hp per turn. but when the shaman is level'd up to a sorc, the +8 will show up again. I suppose it is just a display problem.
  • Leadership banner is described as "This inspiring banner rallies the bearer's allies to war, imparting a leadership bonus as though led by a level 2 unit.". could you confirm if a L3/L4 unit take it, it will still provide L2 leadership? many ppl like to take it with Enchantress or Great Mage thinking it may provide L4 leadership. (and i believe it doesn't) If it is intended to be L2 leadership only, i suggest to make it clear in the info that it won't give L3/L4 leadership because many ppl expect it to provide that.
  • thx Nat for adding the 2 new treasure "charge" and "Grimoire of truth". I think in game, we only see the artifact name and info, but not the description field. so, "Lawful + Halve experience requirements" doesn't show in game for "Grimoire of truth". When i first see this item, i have to check the WML to see what it is. I suggest, together with "Forbidden tome", just put a line in info saying it reduces xp requirement by 50%. (for forbidden tome, it just said "greatly lowering their experience requirements."
  • for Illuminates, when a unit is level'd up, the light will disappear forever. (even after progress to the next scenario) The illuminates function remains unchanged, however.
  • berserk - it is described and implemented as changing the arcane resist to -50%. (not reduce by 50%, but set to -50%) first, i would expect it to reduce the arcane resist rather than set to a fixed number. it is favorable to drakes/wraith (arbiter/clasher is a popular choice for berserk). i propose to make it reduce by 50%, and with a floor of -50%. so the original base arcane resist is reflected after turned to a berserker.
btw, i created a treasure table for WC artifacts
DrBoop

Post by DrBoop »

Hmm, thought I'd just mention that I grabbed the 1.8.x version of WC, and after taking about 3 days to learn WML (some of the semantics are annoying :/ ), I updated it to 1.9.6 along with the following changes so far

*fixed every bug I could find with the original, such as making the books actually change a units alignment, and illuminate stuff
*a bunch of stream lining to use arrays and loops more for readability
*investment includes an Engineer option (can build a tower, an outpost, or set up a cave system (instant travel, AIs can use too) ... consumes engineer, though they can be recalled if not used)
*item slots added, each unit can carry a weapon/armour/shield (or orb)/accessory -- potions and books don't take a slot obviously
*ability to inspect units to see their equipment
*enemies have random drops -- items and gold, chances depend on level
*enemies will equip their soldiers with items in later stages (out of spawn, not picked up)
*multiple items dropping on the same spot will calculate correctly (it turns into a treasure chest when there are 2+ items in the same hex, turns back into individual items if one is picked up)
*khalifate completely added
*tiered item system added (common, uncommon, rare, unique) ... which really just means the item pool has been extended immensely
*investment menu interface fixed up so that all items look like this
Spoiler:
*probably a ton of small things, abilities, etc... don't feel like thinking about what they were
*probably some other stuff I'll do in the near future

So yeah, nothing huge since I've only been working on it for about a week on and off. It has a slightly different flavour, more equipment focused, mostly because I'm only making it to play with my friends. Well, also just to have fun making it. But once everything has been tested a few times I'll upload it if people want, though whatever really. Maybe something like this already exists? Credits to TL and Nata for the original files of course.