World Conquest NM

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SpenceLack

Re: World Conquest NM

Post by SpenceLack »

I downloaded this a few days ago from the stable server. I'm playing through it on the Easy difficulty level and it's a ton of fun.

The randomness is great. The tactical dilemmas resulting from the randomness make this a great mod. I do think that starting time of day for each scenario should be randomized as well (the WML shouldn't be too hard, I don't think). Currently the player always starts at dawn, which means in terms of initial recruitment and also hero recruitment everyone tends to heavily favor lawful units.

I have noticed some difficulties with the artifacts, such as one artifact was supposed to give +50% cold resistance but I gave it to a drake glider and the drake's cold resistance stayed at -50%.

But overall this has been very entertaining. I'm on level 6 right now which I assume is the final level...
tahtisilma

Post by tahtisilma »

When playing version 1.2.1 of WC_NM on 1.7.14-1.8beta7 I got a problem with the units list. When advancing from scenario 2 to scenario 3 all of my units returned to the state from the end of scenario 1 - that is I could not recall units recruited in scenario 2, experience and traits gained in scenario 2 is gone. I attach saves from the game.
MP_campaign_-_WC_NM_Turn_.gz
End of scenario 2 - save
(79.4 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
MP_campaign_-_WC_NM_3-Auto-Save1.gz
Beggining of scenario 3 - save
(77.38 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
tahtisilma
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Do you remember if you saved and reloaded in between or if you played the whole stuff in one go?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
tahtisilma

Post by tahtisilma »

I loaded in between.
grrr

Re: Report

Post by grrr »

Crab wrote:if you have leaders in [side] definitions, just add things like "id=WCp1" to leader config there in each scenario.
Nat, can you confirm this fix? I still only get peasants now on 1.8 ... although the peasants have the player's name. How to restore the leaders?

I've re-uploaded the RDM add-on to the server, so it would be nice if a dev could look at it
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

grrr: I can confirm.

The recall list gets totally screwed now. So the trick to recall canrecruit=yes and put it on the leader hex no longer works. This happens either the game is loaded or not.

The "id=WCp1" does nothing over here on latest 1.8 ...moving back to trunk before next update.
Crab
Inactive Developer

Post by Crab »

Natasiel, can you repeat the 'current' issues in more detail, I'll take a look at them?
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

For Yogibear and Crab, posting publicly in case of future references for others. Most issues are fixed now on 1.8

1. Savegame problem:
The saves became corrupted after processing an empty tag. This happened twice when an artifact was picked up from the ground. Once to execute the [set_variable] field of the artifact, and once for the [object] field.

Code: Select all

# File: utils/bonus.cfg
[insert_tag]
        name=set_variable
        variable=artifact[$treasure[$T].type].set_variable
[/insert_tag]
[insert_tag]
         name=object
         variable=artifact[$treasure[$T].type].object
[/insert_tag]
Both taken from the picked up artifact definition.

# File: utils/variables.cfg
[artifact]
        [object]
                duration=forever
                silent=yes
                [filter]
                        x,y=$unit.x,$unit.y
                [/filter]
                [effect]
                [/effect]
        [/object]
        [set_variable]
                name=unit.alignment
                value=chaotic
        [/set_variable]
[/artifact]
The problem occurred when an artifact hasn't an object field, spawning a variable with *null as both it's name and value. Thus creating an empty variable with an empty value in the savegames.

[variables]
                =""
                J="10"
                T="2"
        [/variables]
That's where it failed, while the error was not fatal in single player mode (loading from mainscreen), the multiplayer version aborted.
Spoiler:
2. Recall lists
A single two purposes hack did the trick. On a victory event, every units are stored in a variable. On the prestart event of the next scenario, this same variable is extracted to the recall list, from where the leader is summoned once again on the starting location to patch up some previous bug.

3. Recruit list
Somehow, the recruit list was also lost upon scenario transitions. Since I wanted faction based recruit with temporary new recruits, a whole new approach has been done.

From the latest tests, World Conquest is now playable on 1.8.
The most important issue remaining deals with gold amount between scenario transitions. The whole italian pastas with tomato sauce might need a complete rewrite on the next time hole. In between, if someone would put some weight on the 1.8 lobby scroll-bar, it feels like helium. :)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I played 1.8 and found that the ai recruits nothing on the second scenario. I was playing on 'General' setting, but this made it somewhat easier :D

I was playing with one other player, slot 3 we left empty. I was the host.

At a certain point on scenario 1, when a wose was recruited, I got OOS. Later my game crashed and I was kicked but I rejoined and continued with the other player as host.

The info about gold at the end of scenario 1 was totally messed up: it said we were in huge debt, when the opposite was true.

Also I noticed that units can now pick up more than one magic item. Is this intended?

EDIT: The wose oos was a bug with an era of mine. I guess it might have thrown the whole thing out of whack.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

Besides the bonus gold not transferring between scenarios, the other issues are fixed on 1.8b. It hasn't been invested much since the scenario minimum is perfect to balance things out. Without time bonus, it is worth killing every once of xp.

EDIT: Yes, units can now have more than one artifact on purpose.
turret544

Post by turret544 »

I have a few questions. My two friends and I have been trying to play WC NM lately. We first downloaded it to play on 1.8, and when we got to the start of the second scenario, after the initial messages we received the "You have been defeated" message instantly. We noted that on the map only the 4th slot computer player had any units on the map, and that us three and the 5th computer player did not have any units on the map.

So then we tried to play on 1.7.15 development version. We were able to advance to the next scenario fine, but we then experienced constant save game corruption.
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

That really sounds like the bugs of previous versions. I suggest that you update your addons to the latest 1.8b, those issues are fixed by now.
turret544

Post by turret544 »

Okay thank you, we updated our WC NM and those things were cleaned up. However, one thing that still troubles us is that if player 1 loads a save, then the phenomenon occurs that player 2's units have no movement points, while player 3's units do. Different players trying to load either causes either out of sync errors (where i believe one player sees the units without movement but the controller sees that they do and moves them), or other runtime errors.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

1.8a is the only version I can find on the server. Where can I get 1.8b?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
turret544

Post by turret544 »

My friends and I were playing WC NM version 1.8 just now. When we moved onto the second scenario, whoever went to the scenario first ended up with an appropriate amount of gold, while the other two who followed to the second scenario were only able to work with 175 gold (as if there was no carryover). The first person, upon looking at alt+s, saw that the other two should have a much higher gold amount.

Also, in the second scenario, we saw that any expansions to the recruit list made in scenario 1 were not there in scenario 2.

EDIT: Sorry I should have read the earlier posts. So the recruit list is supposed to reset upon scenario transition. And the gold carryover issue is still being worked upon?