Speed of undead units

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UngeheuerLich

Re: Speed of undead units

Post by UngeheuerLich »

2 moves on water hexes would be also a nice solution. Makes submerge a little bit more useful.

Don´t get me wrong: i won´t be disappointed if none of the solutions will be implemented. Actually i would be disappointed if you don´t use development releases to experiment on a very small scale.

Developers have proven that they are willing to do changes and revert them if needed. No problem. And I perfectly know that you are in feature freezee as you have been in all betas...

Also i have been here since 1.0.0. and i have tested some undead problems with developers. (Only ghost recruit against undead before adepts got their arcane attack.)
I don´t know where you got your assumption that balance is going overboard with a minor change to a single unit will unbalance things.

A 1mp sekeleton on mushroom could switch sides on freelands faster. Dwarves and drakes can switch sides very fast already. Seeig more usage of some units in all matchups (skeleton warrior against drakes, loyalists and dwarves) seems not so unreasonable.

So, instead of speaking of general imbalance this would create, can you give an example, on which map against which unit this would make undead so much overpowered that it becomes ridiculous?
silent

Post by silent »

hiro hito wrote:
silent wrote:I'm quite amazed the topic starter's speed problems with UD come from the knalgan matchup

To me, the problem of the undead units being slow is most evident when playing vs loyalists or drakes.
So you think loyalist are less slow than knalgan! :shock:

Did you ever try Footpad, Griphons or even HODOR play style against undead?

If not, you should try them: they make nightmare of undead..... and speed is their advantage!
silent wrote:Although I assume it's balanced, it's extremely difficult for the UD to come close to either faction when they can hit hard, then run away before dusk starts
Try ghost and bats (if the other units are well placed) to ZOC them before they can run away :wink:

For me, the only thing that really miss to Undead is 2 moves for all Skeletons on all water hex....
... :annoyed:

Assuming I was forced to play against an undead opponent and could only select either knalgans or loyalists, I would pick loyalists most of the time.

Perhaps my view is somewhat biased, given I don't really like the knalgan faction, but for one thing, while I'm quite aware of HODOR/HODOR tactics, attacking at the ToD of the undead is not nearly as preferable as attacking at day, with the almighty mobile tank that is the cavalryman, who is ridiculously difficult for undead to take down at day, and easily runs away, quicker than HODOR units most of the time, not forgetting magi as well. The fact the cavalry resists most undead attack, and is not weak to it is also a plus.

Your second suggestion, while it may be good in theory, would actually take poor judgment on the opponent's behalf to actually allow that to happen. Either you would have to hope they stayed at afternoon and failed to do much damage, or leave a gaping hole/stray unit for you to allow your ghost to slip through and trap. It might work, but I really hope your not expecting it to occur every time for you.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

cavalry goes down in skeleton arcer fire...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

He qualified that with "at day" and he is correct. Even if you attacked a cavalry with three skele archers you might force him to retreat but you are unlikely to kill him.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

yes, thats right of course... ;)

but at day everything the loyalists brings into battle is hard to kill.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

at day i would use a ghoul to poison if it is crucial to force a retreat...
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

We feel that Undead as a faction are well balanced vs. all other factions. There are no planned changes to any undead units.

Locked.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty