Make settings games more intuitive for more decent games

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hiro hito

Make settings games more intuitive for more decent games

Post by hiro hito »

Having so many settings to open a game is nice but it can be boring....

Almost all official maps are balanced for one setup: xp=70%, 2gold per village (that's fine!)
but more than 50% opened games don't use this setting!

Why?
-Maybe because some players don't like official (recommended) setting and they do have the rights and the game allows them to do it.
-Maybe because some players don't know this official (recommended) setting or don't know how to set up!

What I mean is that the creation game panel is not intuitive enough to create an "official" game.

1) The "use map setting" checkbox should be at the top of the screen and not after setting scroll bars. Also It should be nice to hid these scrollbar if the check box is checked, then newbies or official players (or crazy players) are not tempted to use them....

2) The default timer setting is (IMHO) not the good one for 1vs1 match. I think the ladder one is far more fixing this kind of game. Also the timer setting should have 3 "already set" setting: something like "easy one, medium one, hard one" and a check box to allows personal setting. That way, most players can accustomed to only 3 "pretty cool" timer setup and not be destabilized by an unknow timer....

To resume: player should be sure to open a game with recommended setting in the simplest and fasted way.

I am sure that most of players don't know what all these setting are made for. I think it's a nice idea to keep them if you want to open your personnal game. But it should be easier to open an official game with official map setting and decent timer.

It's quit frustating to be on server, see all that opened games with "crazy setting" and wait for an official game. I am quite sure that some new players that join my game don't even know that they play with recommended setting!..... :wink:

(A tag in game lobby can show which game have the official setting)
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Make settings games more intuitive for more decent games

Post by jb »

but more than 50% opened games don't use this setting!

Why?
-Maybe because some players don't like official (recommended) setting and they do have the rights and the game allows them to do it.
-Maybe because some players don't know this official (recommended) setting or don't know how to set up!
Well, when I first started playing wesnoth it was always in local hotseat mode with a giant random map (FFA) and crazy settings. Why? Because that's how we played Warlords 3.

I think it's human nature to want to change something before you understand it. The fact is, somebody has to actually adjust the settings to get a non-default type game. I don't see it being any easier than it currently is.
2) The default timer setting is (IMHO) not the good one for 1vs1 match.
Many people have had conflicting opinions on this matter.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

The problem is that nothing is clearly write about how to create official setting on the Creat Game panel.

At least put the map setting checkbox at the top of the screen and before setting scrollbar is more logical and intuitive to create a recommended game for the choosen map.

About the timer, I know there are some thread about it, but the setting aren't intuitive too. I think there is enough space on the screen to explain a little bit more what is their use. (For my part, this setting is bad because the more you have unit to move the less time you have to think and move, that is not a logic way to play a 1vs1 game).

I used to play huge map with crazy setting when i started to play until the day when a player told me that I should play with recommended setting; since that day I have started to really understand all strategy moves and play some good/nice player/game. And since that day I never play huge map with crazy setting anymore 8) .

There are two main reasons why I say that:
1- Many good (reliable) players leave the game because of lack of official games. See all that strange setup game is just... boring...
2- why make so hard balanced work on map if it's to put 5 gold per village?

The game allows non strategic players to play, and it's fine (for them).
Bu the game has a big part of strategy, hasn't it? So why recommended setting for strategic games are so hard to find on lobby?
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

A "Restore Default Settings" button could be useful, I suppose. It could reset the sliders to 2 gold per village, 70% XP, no fog/shroud, etc, etc. That way, even if you tinkered with the settings as a newbie, there'd be an easy way to get them back to the settings recommended for good multiplayer balance.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Rya

Post by Rya »

Isn't there already a "Use default setting" checkbox that resets everything to the map's default?

Also I don't like the official settings too much. I prefer 50% and 1 Gold. I don't see why it should be good if more games were 70%/2 Gold.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You also don't play competitive multiplayer. There are reasons for the default settings being what they are.

That being said, there is no reason why you 'should' play competitive multiplayer or use the default settings. There is no reason why you shouldn't whatever settings you prefer other than balance (and in some maps/scenarios the default settings are not the most balanced).

EDIT: Balanceing and standardization.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."