Making a 1vs1vs1 map, any input?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cruz

Making a 1vs1vs1 map, any input?

Post by Cruz »

Hey again, trying once more to make a map, this time a 1vs1vs1 map, which i've never tried before.

(Suddenly we have an added element of diplomacy to the game, yay ;)

Therefore, anyone have any good advice to share before i take to the tiles? :D

Edit: Added a pic of the map.
the entire map:
Last edited by Cruz on October 4th, 2009, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caphriel

Re: Making a 1vs1vs1 map, any input?

Post by Caphriel »

Yes. Don't do it. 3-way free-for-alls almost always turn into a 2v1, followed by an unequal 1v1. If you absolutely have to make the map, try to come up with some way to strongly encourage players not to gang up on one player (i.e., reward fighting both opponents equally.)
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

So i should not make one, because most people are stupid? :)
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

:lol2: I didn't really mean you shouldn't make it. Just that you must be very careful about the prospects of two players ganging up on one other. Be sensitive especially to time of day. Two players of one alignment and one player of the other can cause the two who share an alignment to naturally gang up on the one that differs.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

I spit in the face of N3T. I remember I repeatedly betrayed both of my opponents during one 1v1v1 game.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

The biggest problem seems to make people stay long enough:S

Might be because the map is not entertaining enough, or maybe its a common problem in more than 1vs1's.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Speaking for myself, I'll bail on a 3-way if my opponents gang up on me, because there's no point in continuing it. I've since stopped playing them. The last one I played, I was undead against two loyalists, and they didn't attack each other, other then a single spearman throwing a javelin at another spearman, until I was basically eliminated. That's no fun at all, but I didn't know that until I watched the replay. I'm sure I'm not the only player who will leave if it appears that the other two players are in collusion from the beginning of the game.
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Caph, you just need to make better friends i think :P

But yeh, i made my map HUGE (even tho the efficent mapsize is pretty small) just so one could at least try to escape such an onslaught, at the price of one's villages.

Nothing better than for a diaspora army, thirsting for vengance, then two former allies turning on each other :mrgreen:
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Cruz wrote:Caph, you just need to make better friends i think :P

But yeh, i made my map HUGE (even tho the efficent mapsize is pretty small) just so one could at least try to escape such an onslaught, at the price of one's villages.

Nothing better than for a diaspora army, thirsting for vengance, then two former allies turning on each other :mrgreen:
I was playing with random dudes :lol2:

Actually, most of the mainline 3-way maps are pretty small, aren't they? A bigger one might work better. Especially if you set it up so that if one of the players pursues the retreating player, they expose themself to the third player. :twisted:
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Here's a replay from a game i did today.
not excellent playing by you're truly, but at least it shows off the map:)
http://wesnoth.org/replays/1.6/20091003 ... _(6912).gz

I'd post a picture of the map, but its so big it's hard to make out the differences:P

Another replay, this one illustrating rather crudely why diplomacy matters :lol2:
http://wesnoth.org/replays/1.6/20091004 ... _(7744).gz
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

It's easy enough. Just make all of the main battles in the center, with narrow and easily defensible paths towards the keeps.

Put the villages in the middle so that is also their source of income, so they can't just hole up in their keep and stay there forever.

All three players will have to go to the middle to get villages, and they will battle eachother equally until the others are destroyed
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Wow, that's so not what i've already done :wink: