The Modern Multiplayer Map Reader's Digest

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Caphriel

Re: The Modern Multiplayer Map Reader's Digest

Post by Caphriel »

grrr wrote:Oh, as I said: it's purely cosmetical - it still counts as forest, and *not* forested hill.
So it looks like forested hill, but only counts as forest? Wouldn't this be confusing to some players, who have seen forested hills elsewhere and expect them to work like forested hills? The player would have to manually check every hex of forested hills to see if it works normally, or only as forest :?
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I ran three AI v. AI games on the updated Weldyn (1.6 rev1) with map settings, default era, and random factions. The second player won every game. Here are the replays:

Undead v. Dwarves - Dwarves win
http://www.wesnoth.org/replays/1.6/2009 ... _(4656).gz

Dwarves v. Loyalists - Loyalists win
http://www.wesnoth.org/replays/1.6/2009 ... _(4679).gz

Loyalists v. Drakes - Drakes win
http://www.wesnoth.org/replays/1.6/2009 ... _(4695).gz
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

mabeenot wrote:I ran three AI v. AI games on the updated Weldyn (1.6 rev1) with map settings, default era, and random factions. The second player won every game.
AI vs AI games prove nothing, because the strategical limitations of the AI are just too big.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

recently i saw wesnoth_AI as a player in our dear ladder, could SOMEBODY plz remove that "player" ? some idiots (really) are using that to gather some extra coins. unbelieveable.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Rigor wrote:recently i saw wesnoth_AI as a player in our dear ladder, could SOMEBODY plz remove that "player" ? some idiots (really) are using that to gather some extra coins. unbelieveable.
Wrong thread. This is map design balancing.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

it just fitted yogis last post, thought id dump it here.
nani

Post by nani »

• Topic: Hex [9,22] on Hornshark Island.
  • Issues:
    1. Very hard to counter good western p1-undead rush with non-flying units.
    2. Hard to defend properly (in sense of sending reinforcements to the west) versus drakes.
    3. ... > generally bad access for non-flyers.
  • Proposal: Replace Shallow Water terrain with Ford. (see pics)
  • Replays: non available atm, but I saw and played a lot. I remember there have been many others recognizing the issues, I'd appreciate them commenting here :).
best regards, nani aka leocrotta
Attachments
As it should be imho.
As it should be imho.
2.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
As it is now.
As it is now.
1.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

That would make the early game left side defense easier for P2, but it would also make later game defense of the left side easier for P2. Considering that P2's opposite flank is a heck of a lot easier to defend than P1's, I'm afraid making P1's target more easily defensible might leave him with nothing useful to do. Right now, my experience is that long games on Hornshark favor P2, because P1's lower right village is so exposed.

I think most players just don't send enough units up the left side at the beginning. They send enough to grab villages, not to defend. Hornshark strongly favors an early left side rush by the P1, especially if he's chaotic. P2 needs to either send enough units to defend, or respond by countering on the right side. Both can be executed successfully, even against the dreaded Grunt Rush (tm).

One of the reasons I like Hornshark is because P1 is clearly forced into the role of attacker by the hard-to-defend right flank, and P2 has the choice of defense on the left, or counter-attacking on the right. I'm not opposed to changes if they're necessary for balance, but I hope that the flavor of the map can be preserved.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hi, bluepierrot changed his map design "unfolding space" - just wanted u to know that, because earlier the orcish wolf (12,7) from p1 could reach 4 vills at one time

now its got changed that 12,10 and 12,12 have forests instead of hills and 11,9 and 13,14 got hills.

maybe u contact him because we all r DLing the old version ATM.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

looks like hes trying to contact u guys: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&start=30
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Rigor wrote:hi, bluepierrot changed his map design "unfolding space" - just wanted u to know that, because earlier the orcish wolf (12,7) from p1 could reach 4 vills at one time
I know that that map, and many others of the user-made maps included in that pack, are unbalanced. I had nothing to do with their inclusion, so you shouldn't post in here about it.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
grrr

Post by grrr »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Rigor wrote:hi, bluepierrot changed his map design "unfolding space" - just wanted u to know that, because earlier the orcish wolf (12,7) from p1 could reach 4 vills at one time
I know that that map, and many others of the user-made maps included in that pack, are unbalanced. I had nothing to do with their inclusion, so you shouldn't post in here about it.
Err, are we talking about the same map pack? Those UMC maps are surely not in the map updates add-on, but are part of the Random Default Map add-on, in the extra map set =)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

part of the Random Default Map add-on, in the extra map set

yes, that one ! XD

however

i think there are other maps too that are not balanced in wesnoth and they are in every new version. im not the one preventing the change of the new ones because in their inperfection they might need some fixes until they are as good as the regular ones.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Rigor wrote: i think there are other maps too that are not balanced in wesnoth and they are in every new version. im not the one preventing the change of the new ones because in their inperfection they might need some fixes until they are as good as the regular ones.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here (mainly the second sentence). If you want to talk about a specific map that is already in the game that you think has problems, we can talk about that.

The point of my post above was simply that I'm not connected to the map you mentioned, so posting in here about updating it with a newer version won't help much.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

ok you got me.

you just implemented some helpful changes in the newest version that solves the probems i was lamenting about earlier.

but now that we solved those problems it would be still great to TEST THOSE NEW MAPS (improve little by little as soon as one problem arises) what is my main interest here ;)

for the new maps
for the new gameplay
for the horde

!!1!!!!!11!!1!!!11one11one1one!!!