Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lunar2

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Lunar2 »

After having play-tested it some, I can now conclude that Devour Soul is pretty well balanced now. Not too good, but fitting of a Necro-9 slot. Do adjust the green number output to show actual HP healed, and not (current HP/2) as it does now.
Back from retirement, current project: Auction
Huston

Post by Huston »

so then what all did you add/change with the release of meteor storm?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
gutzh

Post by gutzh »

Hello

I played "Era of High Sorcery" some time.

I found a big Bug that crashes the whole game down.

It's if you summon only bats with necromancer to get the towns fast.
And next turn you cast"Absorb bat". If i do this the game crashes.

If i recruit a normal unit the first turn like a "Ghost"
I am able to play normal without a crash, if i use "Absorb Bat"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second thing is the balance of the 3 factions.
This is a difficult thing. Cause if you take the right picks , against the wrong picks you got a benefit. Thats ok.

I tried out some combos and ended with a "8 picks nature" + "2 picks superb summoner" mage.

This mage can do only summons. But the summons give the Mage XP if fighting....
So lvling up is quite easy. I get with a lvling up "+4 picks"
This happens all the time. If this happens it gets very imbalanced.

Im able to cast this lightning bolt with farseer 16 hexes far over the whole map. Ghost and skells are dead after this.
I got the faster units and a mage with great range.. So im able to hold more Towns and let my enemy run out of golds.

I feel that this is very imbalanced so far...

I havn't tried against a 10 picks necromancer which uses absorb bats, and gets a lvl4 skeleton dragons as summon yet.
But if i cast few lighning bolts on it. Its dead...
A fireball mage is running around without fast enough gold to get a FireDragon

I think you could at least enter a "+2 picks option" to get XP from your summons.

After this the nature mage would end up a bit slower in summon his units, cause he lacks the "superb summoner"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The necromancer got this "Dark Pact" spell. But if he's casting it on normal units. They do cost alot of golds.
A Ghost with "Dark Pact" Is 20Gold+12Gold =32 Gold.
If you use dark Pact, you need other units that give the Dark Pacted units their Hitpoints.
2Ghost with dark Pact are 64Gold and don't do any damage...
So only option is to get a Skeleton Dragon...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think at the start it should be more like the normal game of Wesnoth. With recruiting lvl1 units and do some minor spells.
You could build in a "Pick Timer" that gives your mage "+1 Pick every 3 turns ?"
And some options in start screen how much picks each mage gets in the start.

Thank you for this Era its Fun playing.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

The bug with Absorb Bat/Devour Soul is not his fault. Do not use either of those skills if you play with Fog, because it causes a Wesnoth bug (which he has already reported). It is why I do not play this era with Fog.

Ghosts are underpowered in this era, but that is already being discussed. As for other units, any turn you cast Lightning Bolt / Fireball is a turn you're not able to summon anything (unless you're hybrid with Necro). They're pretty balanced as they are. The way you speak of leaders leveling so easily, I have to wonder if you are playing with way too much gold (I've played a lot of matches in this era, and although I've seen leaders level, it happens in a bit less than half the games). It's balanced pretty well for mainline maps where each player has 75-150 gold/70% exp/2 gpv.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Made new release (0.3.4) fixing bugs, nerfing Farseer to +50% rounded up, and allowing skeleton/archer instasummons at Necro-8. Tell me if necro-8/summoner turns out overpowered.

Huston, the only things I remember adding at the same time as meteor storm was firing recruit events for when you summon and moveto events when you Gate (and neither of those should make any difference if you don't do those things.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

Didn't download this version yet, but here's some bugs if you didn't already catch them:

Circle of Protection: If a non-leader, self-owned unit enters the circle, it goes away. If someone tries to cast Gate on your leader who is in the circle, it works on them anyway.

EDIT: Having played 0.3.4, I don't think Superb Summoner breaks Necromancy. Even in this form I would reach for Necro-9 rather than save 3 gold on my Skeletons and S.Archers, and I can see myself opting for Archmage over Superb if I were to stop at Necro-7 or Necro-8.

But I have been getting a lot of complaints about Nature+Superb being too good (in particular, Nature-8+Superb is vicious, Rampage+Cheap Woses+Gold Sink Gryphons=a lot of easy wins). It's impacted play enough that when I play Evocation, I almost always pick up Leader of Men so I can have access to Cavalrymen as a Wose counter.

Suggestion: Wose summon price +1, and swap the level requirements of Rampage and Fissure. Rampage is too good with Superb, while Fissure sees little use or respect.

EDIT: Also, why is Dark Pact healing units that are targeted by Fireball/Lightning Bolt (including exceeding their max HP)?
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hullo, i just played ur nice mod, high sorcery.

i had a ghost with the dark pact and he had 36 / 18 HP at a certain point of the game.

id like u to tell me if everything is alright with that cuz the description doesnt say anything about that.

best regards

Rigor
Attachments
high_sorcery_ghost_pact.gz
(285.29 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

Did you read my previous post? Is it the same thing I reported, or a different cause?
Elvish_Pillager

Lunar2 wrote:Circle of Protection: If a non-leader, self-owned unit enters the circle, it goes away. If someone tries to cast Gate on your leader who is in the circle, it works on them anyway.
Fixed
Lunar2 wrote:It's impacted play enough that when I play Evocation, I almost always pick up Leader of Men so I can have access to Cavalrymen as a Wose counter.
Are they that much better than Orcish Grunts?
Lunar2 wrote:Suggestion: Wose summon price +1, and swap the level requirements of Rampage and Fissure. Rampage is too good with Superb, while Fissure sees little use or respect.
Done.
Lunar2 wrote:EDIT: Also, why is Dark Pact healing units that are targeted by Fireball/Lightning Bolt (including exceeding their max HP)?
Fixed.

Released changes as EoHS 0.3.5.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i read it yes, but u didnt post a savegame so i thought it might be useful :)

im really curious about the necro development now.

AND

what i d like to see fixed is one thing, when u play necro u have ur best offensive weapon "poison ground" and when those GROUND units pass that field of poisoned ground, they r not poisoned ?? ;) comon. XD and when i imagine units that are immune to poison passing that really dangerous ground, the functionality of it is really limited. maybe u can make it better with such a function like ambush, where u just get poisoned when u "test ctks" like when u cross a hex that is hidden.

hope i could contribute some ideas.
Elvish_Pillager

Unfortunately, that is not possible to do in Wesnoth.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i c. worth a note nevertheless. might have introduced a new depth in sorcery :)
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

*bump*
Araja

Post by Araja »

Should have gone to Specsavers.
And bought half a pair of glasses to fit over your eyeball.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

Still works fine in singleplayer local game. But no longer works in multiplayer. Worked fine yesterday, but not today. Reports from multiple users online. Error message: "Invalid WML recieved: Bad allocation request in uncompress_buffer()"

Something changed in the multiplayer server overnight that now makes some WML in this addon incompatible and needs updating?

Hope this problem can be resolved, since this is a great Era.