Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
ForestDragon
Forum Regular
Posts: 1488
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by ForestDragon » January 21st, 2017, 6:37 pm

hi, just played a bit with the new update, here are bugreports and ideas:

bug reports so far:
1.the compulsion spell still shows the same description as before in the training and action menus
2.
Spoiler:
3.the AI wizards don't recruit (or get alliances) anymore. it worked fine in the previous versions

random ideas:
1.in the new target choosing gui, i think it would be more intuitive to make it work by left-clicking, instead of the current right-clicking way
2.could you add an option to mount giant spiders please?
3.you still haven't added the igloo yet. could you just add it? P.S. sorry if i an annoying
4.new talent: Martial Artist (other possible names: 'Duelist Mage', 'Staff Master', ect.):melee attacks used by the wizard get a +25% damage boost and a marksman-like special which works only on defense (this special shouldn't be applied to weapons with the 'magical' special), the wizard gets +15% hp and +10% defense on terrain where they have less than 50% defense. basically a talent to help mages stay alive in tough situations. i hope you find this idea good enough to be implemented


and i must say, the new main-map spell casting gui is just sweet! ^_^
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned),The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, abandoned),XP Bank (1.14),Alliances Mod(1.14), with a large add-on in development
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager » January 21st, 2017, 6:50 pm

1. Oops! I DID change the description, but apparently I didn't change all of it.
2. Yeah, known issue, it's just low priority because normal users don't need it.
3. I see the AI recruiting just fine. Maybe your problem is caused by something else? I happen to know that if you choose the "experimental AI", it doesn't know how to recruit in EoHS (because of a bug in the experimental AI, not in EoHS).

Left-clicking: I agree, that's how it SHOULD work. The problem is that I can't actually detect left clicks, I can only pretend to do so by using shenanigans that aren't 100% reliable. Right-clicks are easier to detect because they actually do something (deselecting a unit). This might be possible in Wesnoth 1.13...

Giant spiders: I've deliberately left them out of EoHS because there are no accessibility features for people with arachnophobia.

Igloos: I mean I spent about 10 days working on this giant change, and I wanted to get it deployed rather than working on my backlog of minor stuff. I actually want to make terrain changes change village types in general, which would be a somewhat more complex change.

Martial artist: You can already get most of those bonuses from alliances though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
ForestDragon
Forum Regular
Posts: 1488
Joined: March 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by ForestDragon » January 21st, 2017, 7:01 pm

Elvish_Pillager wrote:2. Yeah, known issue, it's just low priority because normal users don't need it.
well, cheaters (like me, for example) tend to use it a lot :)
Elvish_Pillager wrote:3. I see the AI recruiting just fine. Maybe your problem is caused by something else? I happen to know that if you choose the "experimental AI", it doesn't know how to recruit in EoHS (because of a bug in the experimental AI, not in EoHS).
i used a normal AI.
Elvish_Pillager wrote:Left-clicking: I agree, that's how it SHOULD work. The problem is that I can't actually detect left clicks, I can only pretend to do so by using shenanigans that aren't 100% reliable. Right-clicks are easier to detect because they actually do something (deselecting a unit). This might be possible in Wesnoth 1.13.
oh, i get it. well, ok, as you wish.
Elvish_Pillager wrote:Giant spiders: I've deliberately left them out of EoHS because there are no accessibility features for people with arachnophobia.
hmmmm, i think there is quite a major difference between fearing a real life spider and a fictional, unrealistically depicted one, but well, do as you wish, you are the creator anyway.
Elvish_Pillager wrote:Igloos: I mean I spent about 10 days working on this giant change, and I wanted to get it deployed rather than working on my backlog of minor stuff. I actually want to make terrain changes change village types in general, which would be a somewhat more complex change.
i agree, your idea sounds cooler anyway .also, you could make it so that castles get changed too.
Elvish_Pillager wrote:Martial artist: You can already get most of those bonuses from alliances though.
well, fine.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned),The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, abandoned),XP Bank (1.14),Alliances Mod(1.14), with a large add-on in development
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 22nd, 2017, 5:09 pm

Hello

I have decided to write a post to expless my utmost detestation of the recent EoHS changes.

Why the hell have you nerfed my chocoboners? They did not deserve that, now I am a sad person :/
If you decide to nerf them then please, do something to prevent the magic blast scrolls killing them in 1 shot. The problem is that making a magic blast scroll costs 8 if I am not mistaken and one scroll can bring down to very low hp or outright kill a chocoboner from full hp. Chocos are strong, maybe even a bit too strong, but on the other hand if you nerf them and prevent (me) from crushing any build except magic blast with them - the magic blast build will absolutely destroy my strategy.

I think what could remedy this is to increase the chocoboner's arcane resistance, as for now they can take like 16-3 magic blast attacks with bonus and battlemage. That wouldnt be very realistic but increasing it to like 20% or maybe even 10% res would byff them against magic blasts, at the same time leaving them more balanced against other builds with the increased cost.
Also, even if you did that I think first it would be appriopriate to try the 26 cost instead of 27, which seems a little bit too much for me.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager » January 22nd, 2017, 6:20 pm

ElderofZion wrote:I have decided to write a post to expless my utmost detestation of the recent EoHS changes.
Heh heh heh.

See, the thing is, Chocobones are very specialized unit. They are very strong against some things. In exchange, they are weak against other things.

If you buy a lot of specialized units, and go up against a strategy specifically built to counter them, of course you should lose! If a strategy wins against most of the field, and still breaks even with strategies built to counter it, it's not specialized anymore – just overpowered. Naturally, in a healthy metagame, it won't be especially common to run into specific counterstrategies, because they have to sacrifice being good against most of the field. If mass energy blast scrolls is actually good against most strategies, as well as being excellent against Chocobones specifically, I'll have to nerf Scribe even more. I don't think that's happening, though. When you make lots of scrolls, you have fewer regular units, so it's harder to hang on to the villages.

(Now, I could change Chocobones to be a general-purpose unit instead of a specialized unit, so that they are merely decent against most things. That's kind of what you're suggesting. But I don't think that really makes sense for the Chocobone, which is, after all, a high-damage charger. It would make more sense for the lowly Skeleton, even.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 22nd, 2017, 7:27 pm

Elvish_Pillager wrote:
ElderofZion wrote:I have decided to write a post to expless my utmost detestation of the recent EoHS changes.
Heh heh heh.

See, the thing is, Chocobones are very specialized unit. They are very strong against some things. In exchange, they are weak against other things.

If you buy a lot of specialized units, and go up against a strategy specifically built to counter them, of course you should lose! If a strategy wins against most of the field, and still breaks even with strategies built to counter it, it's not specialized anymore – just overpowered. Naturally, in a healthy metagame, it won't be especially common to run into specific counterstrategies, because they have to sacrifice being good against most of the field. If mass energy blast scrolls is actually good against most strategies, as well as being excellent against Chocobones specifically, I'll have to nerf Scribe even more. I don't think that's happening, though. When you make lots of scrolls, you have fewer regular units, so it's harder to hang on to the villages.

(Now, I could change Chocobones to be a general-purpose unit instead of a specialized unit, so that they are merely decent against most things. That's kind of what you're suggesting. But I don't think that really makes sense for the Chocobone, which is, after all, a high-damage charger. It would make more sense for the lowly Skeleton, even.)
You say chocoboners are a specialized unit, then why nerf them? If there are strategies able to easily counter them then why nerf them lol, you essentially madet hem worse against what they were good against already.

The thing is they cant defeat everything, they can lose to fire guardians or woses which is a strategy made specifically to counter them.

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 22nd, 2017, 7:32 pm

Elvish_Pillager wrote:
ElderofZion wrote:I have decided to write a post to expless my utmost detestation of the recent EoHS changes.
Heh heh heh.

See, the thing is, Chocobones are very specialized unit. They are very strong against some things. In exchange, they are weak against other things.

If you buy a lot of specialized units, and go up against a strategy specifically built to counter them, of course you should lose! If a strategy wins against most of the field, and still breaks even with strategies built to counter it, it's not specialized anymore – just overpowered. Naturally, in a healthy metagame, it won't be especially common to run into specific counterstrategies, because they have to sacrifice being good against most of the field. If mass energy blast scrolls is actually good against most strategies, as well as being excellent against Chocobones specifically, I'll have to nerf Scribe even more. I don't think that's happening, though. When you make lots of scrolls, you have fewer regular units, so it's harder to hang on to the villages.

(Now, I could change Chocobones to be a general-purpose unit instead of a specialized unit, so that they are merely decent against most things. That's kind of what you're suggesting. But I don't think that really makes sense for the Chocobone, which is, after all, a high-damage charger. It would make more sense for the lowly Skeleton, even.)
Now you made chocobone overpriced. You know what, I have an idea, make chocoboners cost 1g less instead (23g) but make them 6 ap to prevent (me) spamming them. This way I won't break the game with 3 turn rushes and so on and the chocobone will still be a viable unit. After all the problem is the chocobone rush and not chocoboners in general right? Actually if that is not enough you can even make them 5 ap but first i would suggest making them 6 ap. Today I tested how my build works with 22 g(with efficient) chocoboners and I get easily swarmed by fire guardians. Well, speaking of fire guardians, they are still op.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager » January 22nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

Are you saying that your strategy no longer wins against unspecialized opponents?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager » January 22nd, 2017, 7:51 pm

Now, there might be a problem with the combination of Battlemage and Scribe. I gave Battlemage a very large bonus (50%) because it is much more difficult to use than the other talents – you can only use it when you're actually in a position to attack. (On the other hand, Enchanter and Summoner, for instance, allow you to build up value during the first few turns of the game.) However, with Scribe, you can store attack spells whenever you want and still have them be useful.

Maybe I should make Battlemage only apply when YOU cast the spell.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 22nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

Elvish_Pillager wrote:Are you saying that your strategy no longer wins against unspecialized opponents?
Well, no, it does win but it wins against weak strategies XD (that is any strategy except hm magic blasts, dispelling touches, fire guardians, i did not test it vs mud). Vs the strong strategies it tends to be rather equal and quite hard to play actually
Elvish_Pillager wrote:Now, there might be a problem with the combination of Battlemage and Scribe. I gave Battlemage a very large bonus (50%) because it is much more difficult to use than the other talents – you can only use it when you're actually in a position to attack. (On the other hand, Enchanter and Summoner, for instance, allow you to build up value during the first few turns of the game.) However, with Scribe, you can store attack spells whenever you want and still have them be useful.

Maybe I should make Battlemage only apply when YOU cast the spell.
Yeah, try it, that would nerf the magic blast and possibly buff other scrolls strategies so ppl will use them more often

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 25th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Ep, there is a bug in the new version, the EoHS dialog keeps popping up randomly during enemy turn, even when you don't do anything.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager » January 25th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Known issue. I'm still working on it. If you haven't updated to 2.3.0.1, that has a fix that makes it happen less (but not never).

What specific things are happening in the game when it pops up?

As a workaround, I believe it doesn't pop up if your mouse is over the right sidebar rather than the main map.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 25th, 2017, 10:17 pm

It just pops up randomly. Also I think it would be better if you left the old way of opening EoHS dialog during enemy turn, I think it was better though maybe a bit unreliable sometimes.

User avatar
Elvish_Pillager
Posts: 8129
Joined: May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager » January 25th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Do you think the old gesture is better than a double-click? Or are you just saying the inconvenience of the old way is less bad than the inconvenience of having it pop up randomly? I think it's pretty likely I'll be able to get the best of both worlds.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.

User avatar
Elder2
Posts: 353
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elder2 » January 25th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Elvish_Pillager wrote:Do you think the old gesture is better than a double-click? Or are you just saying the inconvenience of the old way is less bad than the inconvenience of having it pop up randomly? I think it's pretty likely I'll be able to get the best of both worlds.
Well the inconvenience of the old way is less than the inconvenience of the pop up but there is another thing, i don't find double clicking a particularly convenient way, i sometimes find myself eg randomly doubleclicking on units and so that causes the dialog to pop up.

Post Reply