Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Limabean »

The new EoHS is the most fun I've had with wesnoth in a long time. Great job EP! Everyone who is reading this should immediately download and start playing.

I've got a couple comments: Focused study can be abused fairly easily. Most notably, it lets you get the summoner skill and then spam yetis. The only counter I've found happens to be another abuse of focused study, and that is the instant renounce life. The matchup tends to lead to a stalemate. That said, I really like focused study, and it can lead to plenty of fun strategies, so don't get rid of it. I think a modest price increase on yetis (perhaps only applicable with focused study?) would balance that spam well enough. For renounce life, perhaps you could tie some of the lich advantages to the level of the wizard? That way if you take focused study study right away and renounce life at lvl2, your lich won't be quite as unstoppable until it levels

Also, the description for the skeletal dragon ability says they have a negative upkeep. If this is meant to mean they provide a +4 gold income, it doesn't seem work. Otherwise, it seems useless because all units are loyal and therefore have no upkeep to be negated
tadpol

Post by tadpol »

I find dispelling touch with mage shield stops yetis cold, since you can use these from an apprentice this is a very cheap solution. Be careful though since apprentices only stop combat on defense.

scorpions are middling effective against yetis, you can afford 2:1 and amazing their movement means the yeti player has to be more mindfull of guarding flank villages. Add a couple resilent shamans (and change terrain + mage shield to keep them alive) and yeti spam seems kinda clunky.

without renounce life I had more trouble with necro vs yetis. Siphon strength + poison ground +curse of anxiety and bunches of recruited zombies almost worked, but keeping the leader back to spam zombies meant siphon strength could only be from an apprentice, and the poison ground had to be well placed before the yetis entered the picture, not likely with multiple fronts or something I'd plan facing a player not dedicated to yetis.

with renounce life yetis failed to be a problem; poison ground and siphon strength from the front and the crypt to spam zombies from the back. If the yeti player comes forward to keep the yetis in a pack bats can raid another flank, and poison ground probably ends up catching the wizard forcing a retreat before the yetis can pin the lich. if the yeti-mage stays back the yetis can attack on multiple fronts, but spaced enough that zombie spam can be used defensively until the lich can deal with their side, probably leveling (12xp from 3 attacks per turn) at least once.

Renounce life I have not found a good solution to. the lich is so good it rarely even dies the first time.

Maybe we're using yetis wrong though. I've only been playing with the same people, and myself.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Look like I haven't posted an update here on the forum in a while. Oops!

I've been hard at work on EoHS again this month, advancing from 2.1.0.6 to 2.1.4.0. Notable events:
- The bug that made EoHS unplayable on Macs is fixed.
- I created about six new spells.
- I made countless bugfixes and balance tweaks.
- You can support the project on Patreon.

Sorry for the absence, everyone. I'll try to make regular release announcements here again, as well as on Patreon. :D
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.5.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- New spell: Meteor Storm. Rain down boulders, damaging units and terrain in a wide area.
- Tweaked the spell training screen, hoping it will make the rules more clear
- Fixed an issue that made the AI run very slowly, related to portal pathfinding (but it happened even if there were no portals)
- Added a debugging feature to help catch network synchronization issues
- Fixed issues with apprentices casting Renounce Life
- Various other fixes

Also, I've made a real-time competitive Tetris add-on. Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now! ;)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.6.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- Fixed the OOS issues that 2.1.5.0 exposed.
- Buffed Undying Army.
- Reduced the rank of four Necromancy spells.
- Reduced Absorb Bats AP cost, to make it easier to spend the resources you recoup.
- Replaced the Dragons' time-of-day abilities with radius-2, always-favorable light control
- You can no longer make your crypt undying (!)
- Various minor fixes
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.7.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- New spell: Restraint. Enchanted unit can't kill unless the defender is already at 1 HP.
- Increased the scope of Farseer. It now affects Corridor of Frost, Aegis, Rampage, Restoration, and Pall of Fatigue.
- You can now use Ogre Fury on yourself.
- Using the touch enchantments on your own units now only costs 1 AP, since casting them in the first place cost plenty of AP. Mud Touch and Dispelling Touch are also cheaper in mana.
- Fire Guardians are much cheaper.
- Lots of minor fixes.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.8.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- The AI no longer runs slowly in EoHS games. Longer survivals are practical again.
- Players who have War of the Gods can select a combination EoHS/WotG Random Recruits era.
- Various fixes for WotG (and other add-on) compatibility.
- Fixed temporary swarm summons (and Swarm Nest spawns) not disappearing.
- Swarm zombies no longer create non-swarm zombies when they apply plague in retaliation.
- Meteor Storm no longer makes desert craters from chasm or water.
ArKFallen

Post by ArKFallen »

Pillager this era is awesome and it has been for a long time.

I'm not sure you know about it or if there just isn't any way to inform people, but if you turn off "Show Unit Standing Animations" and then interact with a main mage in any way they are surrounded by a black box (I'm on the experimental wesnoth).

What happened:
When I first came back to Wesnoth a few days ago this add-on was the third one I downloaded and the first I went to try out. I was shocked when they game started and a disturbing black box surrounded my mage, that overlapped surrounding tiles, which I couldn't shake off. After a while of just looking at my laptop, I ended Wesnoth, and shut off my computer. I came back 30 minutes later, tried again, and the same thing happened. :lol: Now that I know, I find it hilarious.

Is good work you've done/are doin.
Elvish_Pillager

Ah, my good old friend the black box! *facepalm*

EoHS graphics mods - e.g. Mage Shield - sometimes make the unit's image bigger than normal. In the right sidebar, the unit image is scaled down proportionally, which looks ugly. To prevent that, I crop the image to 72x72 and put a black background behind it (this is what appears in the right sidebar), then override the default image with a set of animations, including standing anims, that use the full image (this is what appears on the map).

However, the black-box image keeps showing up in all kinds of places. I keep thinking of dropping this trick. Now that I know there's a regular preference to disable standing anims entirely, I should finally give up on it for good. The fix'll probably be in the next release.
ArKFallen

Post by ArKFallen »

It isn't the default. I always turn it off, because as undead the bat-flapping murders my frames whenever I see them. I imagine most people don't do this.
Where else does it appear? Just curious.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Hey EP, I got to say, the first time I fired up the 2.0 I was blown away. I mean wow. Good job.

Well, that's.. er, all I have to say for now :) Trying to bring more people to play this by playing it myself :)
Elvish_Pillager

The Patreon campaign has reached its milestone of allowing wizards to ride Yetis! Go patrons! :D I'll have that out in a release shortly.

Also... I messed with dropping the "black box" trick. If I don't crop at all, the sidebar image for units with Mage Shield (among other things) looks very bad.

I think I'm settling with "Crop to 72x72, but don't put a black background." Mounted wizards still won't look quite right without standing animations, but it'll be much less obnoxious than seeing black squares everywhere or having enchantments ruin units' sidebar images.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 2.1.9.0 released! Get it on the Wesnoth add-on server now!

- Milestone goal achieved: Wizards can ride Yetis!
- All alliances now have their own apprentice types.
- Removed the black squares that were showing up sometimes. There are still some graphical issues, but they are much less obnoxious.
- You now gain the abilities of your mount (except invisibility). Dragon riders rejoice!
- You no longer gain the benefits of temporary enchantments (Wizard Sword, Regeneration, or Haste) on your mount.
- Wizards can also ride Woses.
- Apprentices and WotG wizards retain their normal alignment. WotG wizards retain their normal hitpoints and resistances.
ScegfOd

Post by ScegfOd »

I found out that if you pick Mentor and manage to turn an apprentice into a lich, you can soulbind said apprentice and he'll come back as a lich just fine (infinite mana production, anyone?) :eng:
Elvish_Pillager

LOL. I'm obviously going to fix that, but that's awesome.

You could also do it with an ally's lich leader in a team game.