Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Limabean »

This is pretty awesome, especially scribe. It opens up so many new strategies. Attached a screenshot for a bug I got. It happened during the other player's turn so I can't tell you much more.
Attachments
bug.PNG
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

hi EP, I've got a couple bugs to report.

First, it seems like when you try to choose skills during player 1's first turn (when you aren't player 1) it sometimes causes a whole bunch of error messages to show up.

Also, I'm no longer able to access the menu by cycle-clicking between units on an opponents turn. I get lua errors when I try.

Another issue comes up when I try using scribe with reanimating touch. However, when I cast it on my wizard, I am no longer able to make scrolls for other units. It implies that I can't cast because I already have the effect. I'm not sure yet if this problem comes up with other enchantments.

Finally, is circle of protection intended to only cost 4 mana or is it a mistake? It is very open to abuse. With enchanter I can easily drown the enemy in circles, so they don't have a chance to kill any of my units. I think 10 or 15 mana would be more appropriate
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Do those menu issues still exist after the update from last evening?

Found and fixed the touch+scribe issue for next release.

CoP at 4 is intentional, since the old version was hard to use effectively in PvP (except the OP use on your wizard). The new version is more versatile, but I still I really doubt it should go for more than 10. It might need a raise from 4, and if it's indeed overpowered at 4, that makes me happy, because it's annoying for such a distinctive effect to be weak. I'll have to play against it to be sure...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I wasn't playing with the updated version when I had the menu issues
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

Hi,

1. It is possible to get spells for ur app that ur leader doesnt have by choosing a rank2 spell first. The game will then select the first 3 spells from rank 1 automatically no matter if ur leader has them. A guy told me that it also works with Wordly-Mentor, when u choose random-spells with leader. If u r lucky u can get Wordly-Mentor even though u dont have Mentor (didnt try it myself).
2. I hate the CoP ;)
i had a game where my opp chose to go with enchant, mentor, mageshield, cop, ... He didnt want to use cop from start on cus he felt its op! So he tried to go with mshields. i was able to beat that fairly easy. when the game was (at least from my perspective) almost lost for him, he decided to bring out the cops. this ended up in a stand-off where he controlled only 1 vill and covered his castle with cops. i wasnt able to do enough dmg to the cops to get anywhere close to kill him.
i made some other games and made more bad experience with cops, but the game i described shows best how op the cop is atm.
u call that spell distinctive... well i would call this spell problematic.
the problem i see in cop is:
if it is intended to keep the normal wesnoth-gameplay in this mod, it should still be a big deal to loose vills to ur opp. that is for me 1 of the mechanics that gives u the chance to force ur opp into offensive play. and i think that is important for every game. if a game leaves u with the chance to completely focus on a defensive strategy and it works out for u, that somehow ruins most games. in regular wesnoth i will loose a match where i m not able to disturb my opps approach by at least threatening him through making offensive moves. in eohs as a cause of having a mana-pool (potentially multiple) the vills r still important but their weight is of course a little lower then in a regular game. that is no big deal, it is still fun and still feels like wesnoth (with some cool add-ons). the thing is just that i feel u should be very careful with defensive spells.
take ur time to make ur own experience with cop, i m pretty confident u will agree that cop needs a nerf. ;)
i dont really have good ideas what u should do with it. but i fear 10mana wont be enough.
had a little chat with the guy who forced a draw while he was controlling 1 vill. he said that summoning usually wins against enchanter-builds and he thinks its good to do something about that. well i agree on that (enchant is never the go to for me, with no skilltree). so go for it, keep the spell strong (since u like it). but pls think about the issue i described.
3. the Cat and Scribe: i love it. ^_^ (its so fun to send this little pet of urs to summon units for u at a distant front)
i dont really like to play large maps in eohs. overall i highly prefer medium-sized maps. the reason is i never found much to beat the movement the nature-tree provides for u.
using scribe+cat gives u the chance to challenge a mounted leader at least to a certain extend.
one of my opps though said he feels its a bit too strong. well i dont know about it. maybe some1 else feels the same and wants to share his oppinion?
while using it i found 1 thing that i would consider to change though. giving a lvl0 unit a scroll of wraith-form turns the unit into lvl0 ghost but with dmg of a lvl1 ghost (and ofc the hp of the unit turned). if it is not much work for u to give a lvl0 ghost a little dmg-reduce maybe u wanna think about it.

btw i like what u did with the mentor-skill. i managed to use apps effectivly, but never felt their too strong (not playing with them nor against them).
again big thanks for the great mod!!!
Elvish_Pillager

Popeye wrote:1. It is possible to get spells for ur app that ur leader doesnt have by choosing a rank2 spell first. The game will then select the first 3 spells from rank 1 automatically no matter if ur leader has them. A guy told me that it also works with Wordly-Mentor, when u choose random-spells with leader. If u r lucky u can get Wordly-Mentor even though u dont have Mentor (didnt try it myself).
Dang, good catch! I'll fix that next time I work on EoHS.
Popeye wrote:2. I hate the CoP ;)
Yeah, it clearly needs some attention. Maybe it really is worth a lot of gold now, or maybe I should make it easier to kill. I'll think about it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Generous

Post by Generous »

Good day, Elvish_Pillager! Please, if you have a free minute, take a look on this thread:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 67#p580867
Your advice is very valuable to me
Malarog

Post by Malarog »

I just started getting add-ons for Wesnoth and after seeing EoHS, I feel like I should have done that years ago. This add-on seems to be the one for me. I do have one tiny issue though. After searching the tech help forum and this post, I haven't found a satisfying answer so I'll just ask. Does anyone else suffer from intense lag whenever a player starts their turn and when selecting their leader? By intense lag, I mean that it can take up to two minutes between the moment when I click on my leader and the moment I can actually move him. this lag seem to intensify as the game progresses. It is a simple annoyance at first, waiting 2-3 seconds every time the leader is selected but can, as mentioned before, reach a good two minutes by mid-game, making it unplayable.

I have found a topic addressing this specific issue with this specific add-on but all there was to it was " Delete your other mods and hopefully, it'll work." I did. Didn't help at all. Does anyone know what the issue is, or how I can fix this? Simply pointing me in the right direction would already be a good thing. Thanks
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

First, when reporting issues like this you should always give informations like:
1) wesnoth version
2) addon version
3) operating system
4) A savefile to reproduce this issue. Or an explanation how to reproduce this issue easily.

Usually you cannot do much if you get issues like this, it is poissible that this is a known issue like https://gna.org/bugs/?21884 but whats more likeley is that the code uses slow wml or lua codes thar run when the unit is selected .

Edit: i tested this by downaloading the addon and adding a time check in a select event by using wesnoth.get_time_stamp() and it shows that that select events ineed needed .5 seconds to run (ona fresh game) and it is indeed possible (dependign on the content of the event, i didn't tlook at it) that it takes even longer ina game that did alreadyy run a couple of turns.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Elvish_Pillager

Yeah, it is probably an issue with my add-on. Your OS and Wesnoth version probably don't affect it. A save file could be useful, although I don't know if I'll have time to investigate the issue anytime soon.

The "selecting your leader" thing seems unusual. Does it happen when you mouse over the unit, or only when you actually click to select it? Does it happen only the first time you select your leader on each turn, or every time? Does it also happen with apprentices?
Malarog

Post by Malarog »

First, when reporting issues like this you should always give informations like:
1) wesnoth version
2) addon version
3) operating system
4) A savefile to reproduce this issue. Or an explanation how to reproduce this issue easily.
good point, I should have done those right away

1) Wesnoth 1.12.5
2) EoHS 2.2.0.1
3) Win 7 (Vive la résistance!)
4) Saved Game : https://mega.nz/#!7EJmFRKT!PRWJ0Dse9COp ... PuToDRFSb8

as for your link, from what I gathered, it is not the same issue (unless I misunderstood something). In their case, the lag seems to happen every frame of animation. It is not my case. The issue I have is more of a temporary freeze. Whenever I select my leader, the game freezes for a while, then it resumes normally. The idle or combat animations play at regular speed without hiccups. Unselecting my leader causes the same freeze/lag. I don't have the issue with any other units other than EoHS leaders. the lag also seems to amplify as the leader gets more upgrades. I really enjoy the Necro mages and Soul Bind also seems to increase lag considerably. as a side note, I had a friend with the same Wesnoth version try the mod, same version also, and everything worked fine for him.

Concerning the saved game, I started a Morituri (8P) with the specific intent of posting the save here. I am now at turn 12 and have a good 30 seconds waiting time between each player and about 30 secs to a minute to wait whenever I choose the Necro mage. It is faster on the Nature mage but there is still lag.
Yeah, it is probably an issue with my add-on. Your OS and Wesnoth version probably don't affect it. A save file could be useful, although I don't know if I'll have time to investigate the issue anytime soon.

The "selecting your leader" thing seems unusual. Does it happen when you mouse over the unit, or only when you actually click to select it? Does it happen only the first time you select your leader on each turn, or every time? Does it also happen with apprentices?
This was sent as I was replying so two birds :D
It happens when I click on the unit, mousing over doesn't cause issues. It happens every time I select the leader from a different unit, if the leader's already selected, clicking it again doesn't cause lag. it also happens whenever I exit the EoHS Dialog. Since apprentices are under the "Unusual skills" check box, I did not try them yet so I can't say.
Elvish_Pillager

Thanks for the details.

EoHS does have a script that runs when a unit is selected, but it doesn't make a difference whether that unit is the leader. So this probably is NOT just an EoHS script taking too much time, which makes it harder to debug.

Unfortunately, I think this must be an animation issue. In order to do its custom graphics, EoHS manually overrides every animation (standing, moving, attack, defense, leadership, teleport…) of every unit with modified graphics. This would be more obvious with the leaders because the leaders have the most modifications (and are often the only ones with modifications).

That means I can't fix it without making the game look worse. What I CAN do – since this issue clearly only happens for some players and not others (I've never had this issue myself) – is to create a setting within EoHS that lets you reduce the graphics quality by making only the standing animations get replaced, and not any of the others.

I don't know for sure whether that's the issue, and I probably won't have the time/energy to do thorough testing anytime soon. If anyone else who knows scripting would like to help, I'd appreciate it.

Also, it would be good to check whether any of the Wesnoth code that handles animations, particularly ones added by [effect]s, is written in a wasteful way. (It wouldn't be a surprise if it was inefficient, since as far as I know, no one else has used it nearly to the extent that EoHS does.) Perhaps they are being regenerated every time the unit is selected?
Malarog

Post by Malarog »

First, let me thank you for the time you're taking to reply and for the mod. Even though it quickly becomes too laggy to properly enjoy, I did finish my first game with it because the Necro mage is too much fun :D

Second, I didn't mention it before and don't know if it's any relevant but I disabled both the standing and idle animations during that first game and it didn't help.

Another point (again, not sure of the relevance but better safe than sorry) is that I had the same friend who tested host a game and while he was having no issues with it, I still had the lag on my end.

Sadly, my knowledge of coding is akin to that of a womp rat so I can't be any of any help here.
Elvish_Pillager

Malarog wrote:Second, I didn't mention it before and don't know if it's any relevant but I disabled both the standing and idle animations during that first game and it didn't help.
Yeah, that wouldn't make much/any difference. My theory is that the issue has to do with the total amount of animations, of which standing and idle are only two. (Even if turning them off would save the time for them at all – they might get partially processed even if that setting is off).

Do you know if your friend has a faster computer than you, or maybe a different OS? I don't know if either of those would be enough to explain the difference, but they're the only reasons I can think of for why it happens for some people and not others.
Malarog

Post by Malarog »

Do you know if your friend has a faster computer than you, or maybe a different OS? I don't know if either of those would be enough to explain the difference, but they're the only reasons I can think of for why it happens for some people and not others.
My PC is faster than his in all aspects and we both use Win 7.