B.U.R.S. (Bizarre and Unusual Recruit Styles)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Horus2

Re: B.U.R.S. (Bizarre and Unusual Recruit Styles)

Post by Horus2 »

Okay, now this is just beautiful and even double post rule can not prevent me to share this with you, because it's so beautiful. What happened here is a Fencer and Magi only versus unsuspecting chosen elves on Den Of Onis. The icing on the cake: that was ladder, against a player with 1600+ elo, not a random noob. I'm still feeling fuzzy inside. Download it!

(Note: this game was played on the 1.9 branch, thx Rigor for the notification)
Schlamarcel_DOO.gz
Schlamarcel (Rebels) vs Horus (BURS), Den Of Onis
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Last edited by Horus2 on January 6th, 2012, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

wow, congrats on the game v semler, the game was ABSOLUTELY amazing. i was on my toes until the very last turn. you pulled this off extremely well if i daresay. for the other matches i couldnt load them in 1.8 so here is the message for others: try 1.9.13 for a replay!

maybe i should try something burshish again. it was always fun to watch others so just you wait! :mrgreen:
teamleader

Post by teamleader »

Spearman spam

DA spam

Troll spam

Dwarf fighter spam

Thief spam

I saw all those combos multiplayer...
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Don't tell us what you saw, but post replays so we can see! :)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Horus2 is right. How can this thread be allowed to sink almost to page 3? :evil:

Today I played a practise game vs TheChosenOne that turned out to be a Knalgan mirror on Fallenstar Lake.
It was a quite hilarious one to be precise, I used only thieves, footpads, gryphs and ulfs.
Gryphulfodor so to say. :D
It had everything from big luck swings up and down to extremely unlikely lvl ups and mad village grabbing.

Have fun watching it.
Attachments
knalgan_mirror.gz
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Kolbur wrote:Horus2 is right. How can this thread be allowed to sink almost to page 3? :evil:

Today I played a practise game vs TheChosenOne that turned out to be a Knalgan mirror on Fallenstar Lake.
It was a quite hilarious one to be precise, I used only thieves, footpads, gryphs and ulfs.
Gryphulfodor so to say. :D
It had everything from big luck swings up and down to extremely unlikely lvl ups and mad village grabbing.

Have fun watching it.
"I said you should use blade" :lol2: Hilarious turns of events all along, and for the end the big fat dwarves were overconfident again. History repeats itself... itself, itself, itself.

This one reminded me the dwarf mirror i played not long ago, and after a quick search i realized i talked about it, but seems i never posted. Here i played a friendly match right after szdik570, the latter champion eliminated me from the hungarian championship. In this one i used only thunderers and gryphons for some amusement consolating me for the previous defeat, and to test my theory about solving dwarf mirror crisis this way.
Game is full of hungarian chat, thus to get the real experience, i translated some parts of the text wall in the spoiler below.
Have fun with learning hungarian language. :D
GryphonAndThundererOnlyMirror.gz
Horus (BURS) vs szdik570 (Knalga) mirror on Caves Of The Basilisk
(30.28 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Spoiler:
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

12 gunners, 12 griphs? you amaze me more and more with each game. is there more of your creativity to admire? i hope you take a chaotic race next time :))) also kolburs game should be regarded as model of pestilence where he explains nicely why the griph in the south could wreak havoc. a very nice example how to play village grabbing when attacking at the same time.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Rigor wrote: i hope you take a chaotic race next time :)
Ask and watch. :)
Really, i'm sitting over a replay database of insanity, just now i selected 50 replays from the archive and sooner or later i'll check them all to make sure they are worthy for some highlight and upload them to a fitting thread.

This replay is dedicated to Rigor for two reasons. First: because he was asking for a chaotic burs, second: this laddergame happened shortly after the rightfully (and unfortunately) famous me vs nani on channel game (see crazy comeback came for further information), when you suggested to utilize more nagas. And so it happened. Honestly, i love fooling with opponents tod-wise and rush at dawn with orcs or ud, because very few are aware of that. Also someone told before that orcs can't do rush on Fallenstar Lake, now here's the proof for the opposite. :D Second day naga spam on south left my opponent shocked. Note that this replay features a rare landfish subspecies, which are renowned for usurping castles or other estates and breed in such favorable conditions. Therefore, when drake leader arrived for a cleanup, there was no space left for recruiting. I have to admit i was lucky and certain thing could be done better, but still it was enough for both victory and reaching the standards for archiving the replay for future generations. :mrgreen:

The drake opponent was not a lesser name than Kpp, who was 1800 elo around that time.
20110622231548_Kpp_vs_Horus_wesnoth-ladder.gz
Horus (Burs) vs Kpp (Drakes) on Fallenstar Lake
(22.16 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

you brought me back on the naga trek:

here goes a spectacular replay of me vs some self-styled "expert" who didnt want to tell me his name on silverhead crossing.

he was p1 and loys, and i had orcs. since it was ladder i decided to really try to get a village in the first night but that failed due to only one-shots form grunts vs a parked cavalry. after the first night has passed, orcs stormed the village and had their first kill while innocent nagini began to terrorize the northern countryside. first, they only made some laughable damage, but it soon stacked with poison damage. after some time, my opponent had to be everywhere and soon started to lose units that he exposed to grunt fire.

in the aftermath he decided to not play the game any longer and gave me shiny 2 points for that. here goes the game replay and just in case the server should crash or anything, ill upload it as well: http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A12%3A46

Figure: Nagini in motion. ROAR!!!
Attachments
2p_-_Silverhead_Crossing_Turn_15.gz
silverhead nagini
(34.84 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

DIE BY THE SCOUT!

Figure: even if you dont believe it, this girl scout is the kind of unit who won me the game!

Huumy p1 Orx v Rigor p2 Elf (L) on Crescent Lake

I once heard that scouts are worthless, little weaklings. What map might prove to be more fitting to test this hypothesis than a laaaaaaaaarge one where a lot of macro is required? The game started with an early ranging aka "stuff his mouth with arrows" versus Huumy's wolf. The strategy was rather fragile because lots of grunts were leaving the dark keep in the south to pillage my vills and, you now, scouts arent really good village holders. Nevertheless, in mid-game they kind of multiplied by the second and bought truckloads of apples for their precious horses which cost a fortune, needless to say. so this is where the big hunt started to turn into a big slaughter: the horses needed to die, surely, best in a most stylish way.

Figure: yep, scouts are EQUALLY important as fighters.

and this is where Huumy's leader comes into play to save the day...a highly entertaining Ladder game between equivalent opponents that was close until the very end. In this savegame the very entertaining obs chat is included as well. and the link to the game on the L is provided here: http://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/gamede ... %3A33%3A01 (but due to a syntax error my whole comment was deleted). Was the best game in months, thx for playing, Huumy!
Attachments
2p_-_Crescent_Lake_Turn_22_(5114).gz
Huumy v Rigor L scouts
(33.08 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
khorne-flakes

Post by khorne-flakes »

My opponent always chose elves, and is a very good player, we,re in elensefard and seeing i,m ud try a curious recruitment, spamming ghosts and skeletons... and with luck, succeding,love when elves get sliced by bone before they can mount the infinite wose army mage combo...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfxyo1R22w1qb0y1d.gif
Attachments
skels_over_elves_elensefar_courtyard.gz
(16.87 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Rigor wrote:Figure: Nagini in motion. ROAR!!!
If there is any chance for new ladder rules, i truly hope there will be a paragraph stating that if a member of the ladder council watches and approves your game where you beat an idiot by BURS, you receive double the points. :mrgreen:

Here is the newest victim of the naginis and their boyfriends, now on 1.10 . An unstoppable fishrush occupied the lower half of the Fallenstar map, dividing the dwarves' attention, thus allowing a land invasion, but before those could do some serious stomping, a level 2 "Messenger Of God" fishie put an end to the legend.
To make the match more eyecandy, i tenaciously forgot to buy boring units like grunts, assassins and goblins - who need grunts against knalga anyway, the whole unit is a hype for 12 gold. :whistle:

Further fun fact: my nagas dodged 9 gun shots out of 9, still, luck was equal.

DO NOT MESS WITH FISH COMMANDOS, WHETHER THEY BE NAVAL, AIRBORNE OR LANDFISHES.
khelone_FSL.gz
Knalga (Khelone) vs Fishrush (me) on Fallenstar Lake
(16.8 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

in the meantime, far from the mainland on howling ghost badlands...

Figure: Win screen

Ulfs gathered and stormed the empty wasteland!
Attachments
2p_—_Howling_Ghost_Badla..._replay.gz
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
2p_—_Howling_Ghost_Badla..._replay.gz
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Wesnoth Mirror Daily

Gobo uprising spoils Harvest!

feat. Rigor v fujino

Figure: The brave Gobo's story.

Harvest in the Freelands is well ahead of schedule. Seventy-four per cent of the 2012 crop is harvested and a further 20 percent is swathed or ready to straight combine, according to Wesnoth'sn Agriculture's Weekly Crop Report. However, in the Freelands a hefty Gobo uprising brought production to a standstill. The five-year (2007-2011) provincial average for this time of year is a 300% higher orcs p1 uprisings than in the years before. They do it because they claim "thats what we do best".

Harvest progress varies across the province. The southwest has 63 per cent combined; the southeast only 15 per cent due to heavy gobo raids; the east-central region 22 per cent. Hay land and pasture topsoil moisture is rated as 10 per cent surplus p.a. Rainfall this week ranged from trace amounts in the majority of the province to 31 goblin inch in some areas of the northwest. Crop quality is generally good; dwarfen corpses provide a good fertilizer, however yields vary from region to region. Farmers are now busy harvesting, hauling bales, seeding winter cereals and controlling further orcish raids.
Attachments
BURS gobo style.gz
burs gobo style
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Rigor wrote:
Gobo uprising spoils Harvest!

That is possibly the finest Wesnoth match description in this year. :mrgreen:

If i wouldn't see it with my own two eyes what's going on the Gruntfree-lands, i wouldn't beleive it! You don't beleive it either! But it's true!!! Download it for your own sake and watch how Lord Landfish Ladderadmin Rigor beats an unsuspecting bystander without any landfish!