B.U.R.S. (Bizarre and Unusual Recruit Styles)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Just_end_turn

Re: B.U.R.S. (Bizarre and Unusual Recruit Styles)

Post by Just_end_turn »

He already played some games against decent players... But with those BURS recruit ( Lost against Undertaker but he played well i think) :)

And true for his king, he's still learning after all :)

Maybe i have one or 2 BURS to post :)
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Here I have a BURS where I used weak hitters only: ghouls, ghosts and ghats ... ehm bats vs Knalgans on Den of Onis. My opponent played very well at first, I almost couldn't kill any unit. But then i got into his villages and he got his leader trapped in the caves. :D
Attachments
2S_–_Die_Höhle_von_Onis_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
UD BURS vs Knalgans
(24.25 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

guys this is an absolutely crazy game that kolbur pulled off!

a must see for every fan of lots of poison and howling ghosts :))) they are just perfect superweapons against dwarves ! and especially this map seems suited for ghosts in regular games as well, so dont miss the chance to see THE perfect use of them in a stunning burs from kolbur :)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

After :!: 6 :!: hours of playing, this ladder-BURS with 4 birds on the big map fallenstar has ended.

Comment by Rigor:
This is one of my top 3 ladder games ever played.
deadly showdown between loys and dwarves, plus additional handicap, crazy B.U.R.S from my side with deadly blows at the start of the game for both sides

Comment by Glouk:
Fallenstar ; me loys Rigor dwarves. More than 6 hours of brainstorming :-/ Thanks for the game Rigor. That makes 2-0.

too bad we wont see the obs chat, they surely were talkative during 6h of gameplay =) the best part was when kolbur suddenly woke up after glouk praised his endurance at around 2 am :lol2:

actually, one of the rather few reasons why i won was because glouk couldnt deal much damage to me while i was running around with 5 guardsmen placing my unbreakable zoc everywhere i wanted. so maybe a nice addition to this deadly power-horse-party would be one more fencer, or "more" fishes for the deadly zone of control on 60%. of course, you performed incredible, the horsemen strategy shines while your the one in control, glouk.

comments plz (how did u find the bird-in-the-fog, for instance :mrgreen: or, maybe u didnt notice, gunner retreat which in fact was no retreat in the south-west after turn 20something )
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

and most important, here is the save :)
Attachments
2p_-_Fallenstar_Lake_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
glouk vs rigor laddering loys vs dwarves
(58.99 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Robin Hood for governor !

Absolute bashing on silverhead:

seriously, what would you do when u saw 4 poachers attacking u in the south of the map?

maybe u would laugh, because its so ridiculous, or maybe u would simply die like this guy :mrgreen:

multiple locations to attack from ensured a dynamic game, which was really entertaining :lol2:
and who the hell is nico robin ?
Attachments
2S_–_Die_Furt_am_Silberkopf_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
m vs rigor poacher burs
(16.06 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
SalsaRocoto

Post by SalsaRocoto »

Hey all,

I had never really used the forums so far, but after a game with ParadiseCity where he played one of donkey's crazy drake strategy (http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29313), I got interested and found this gem of a thread today. A loved the BURS idea, so this is my first try at it and my small contribution, a undead with no undead BURS.
For the Undead:

- No Undead: Only Adepts and Bats. No actual undead units allowed.
Was lucky enough to get an undead mirror. 7 turns game in the Den of Onis.

Thanks to the contributors of this thread, I really enjoyed it.

SalsaRocoto
Attachments
BURS_MINE_no_undead.gz
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

at the beginning i thought u had a fast victory against a noob, but the way he played was not that bad and i think u pretty much owned him during night and thats why he lost it so early.

i also got one mirror match here and i'd qualify it burs-istic:

actually i built only one type of unit: the drakish fighter.

here is the cross link:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 13&start=0
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hey guys, recently I played the semi-final to the ambush tournament against Rigor, as some of you may know this tournament allows p2 to pick the factions of each player. After much thought beforehand I decided I wanted to go all saurian or at the least saurian heavy, so I had to choose which faction the little green dudes would do best against and eventually I went with loyals.

See the replay that follows to see some mass augur action against a very varied loyal recruit. Unfortunatley rigor forced me into buying a few drakes for various reasons but the main army(and the initial recruit) was definitely saurian. I was also going to go with a soothsayer leader to begin with and on reflection I actually think he might have been slightly better than the flare, you can tell me if you disagree.

Obviously knowing my opponents faction was a bit of an advantage but it should work ok against everything except undead and even then so long as your opponent doesn't go super skeleton heavy you might be able to adapt it to work.

EDIT: replay below (in Rigor's post) :D
Last edited by The Black Sword on April 12th, 2010, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

this was a really awesome match and is highly recommended to watch!

The_Black_Sword forced me to decide very early to a) die in the south because of: being outnumbered by saurs / night / leadership or b) go up on the other side with everything i had. from this moment on, each turn every one of us stole villages until we completely changed sides. eventually the moment finally arrived when i could start re-invading my own side but that expedition went down the drain, as you will soon find out yourselves in the replay.

btw, you better cross-link your own game in a link (for THIS GAME, http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/download/file.php?id=39842) to have a better overview of your posted/uploaded files. side-effect: like that, you will also know how many downloads are counted ;)
tyler

Post by tyler »

Oesis wanted me to post this so I shall. It was a late night Isar's Cross with soul_steven and I against a player named ge and a player named nagan. I was loys, soul was drakes, ge was loys, and nagan was drakes.

For this particular match I started out with 4 archers and 1 mage (I wanted an 'only ranged' B.U.R.S) but because nagan did not recruit many SARS I just went 'all archers' for the rest of my recruit. I guess the B.U.R.S season mood got to Soul also because he only recruited saurians.

I don't think I played very well (it was 02:30 in the morning, 03:08 at the time of this posting) but soul and I ended up winning despite my screw ups.

I hope you enjoy the replay.
Attachments
B.U.R.S_-_archers.gz
Game was played on the 1.8 server.
(26.42 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

all woses on hamlets vs loyalists.

the_black_sword vs neki

very, very funny game!!!!

that much for the ambush-tournaments-aftershocks ;)
Attachments
20100521201341_neki_vs_The_Black_Sword_wesnoth-ladder.gz
neki vs the_black_sword (wosemaster)
(17.13 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

In this game, a novel strategy including

20 fencers, 5 horsemen and 13 cavalry

is used to bend the backs of elves during a massive 3-unit-only-burs on fallenstar

A furious opening with a heavy cavalry/fencer attack on the northern and southern flank distributed ansengrinths attention to let me effectively kill his defending troops. after the first night passed without any danger for my own troops. after some skirmish ansengrinth managed to kill most attackers, leaving only the charge upon himself hanging in the air. the chances were good, too good to be true, and after the lvl2 horseman failed, fortunately, enough village stealing could be made so that he couldnt counter in that time. during a second stand-off ansengrinth couldnt bring himself to attack me, and that made the game completely drift out of his hands. hellofagame!

Summary after 33 great turns:
speed matters.

Attachments
2p_-_Fallenstar_Lake_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
rigor vs ansengrinth heavy BURS fencer style
(48.82 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Ansengrinth

Post by Ansengrinth »

Well, Rigor tried this against an inferior opponent - that's a bit unfair :) Well played Rigor - thanks for the game.

- Ansengrinth
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

works also against good players (had to recruit mages though because i couldnt remove those archers safely in round 20something (AND, because i wanted to speed up the game a bit) :whistle:

http://ladder.subversiva.org/gamedetail ... %3A45%3A43