Damage System MOD(or Less Luck MOD) by A&J

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Re: Attack Range MOD by A&J

Post by JW »

This sounds like an interesting approach.
viadma7

Re: Damage System MOD by A&J

Post by viadma7 »

After downloading Damage System MOD and attempting a play-through with Nara, I found this mod did not significantly bring a change to the way I play the game. It did bring one thing, however: more tactical victories.

I found that by using this MOD I was able to employ my favorite tactics and secure victory at a rate consistent enough to lessen the effects of the RNG. This MOD isn't perfect, but with a little spit and polish it can shine as a great Battle for Wesnoth luck factor/RNG killer.
Last edited by viadma7 on May 31st, 2009, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dauntless
TGT Champion

Post by Dauntless »

Damage system Mod sounds reasonable
viadma8

Post by viadma8 »

Has anyone else played this mod? If you guys would like to try a 2p/4p game tomorrow around 17:00 EST (-5:00 GMT), I'd be more than happy to accommodate you.
ArtuR

Post by ArtuR »

viadma8 wrote:Has anyone else played this mod? If you guys would like to try a 2p/4p game tomorrow around 17:00 EST (-5:00 GMT), I'd be more than happy to accommodate you.
I might be able to play later tonight, at maybe 21:00 EST. If you are around, we can have 2v2 or something.
JW

Post by JW »

viadma8 wrote:Has anyone else played this mod?
I'm looking forward to trying it sometime in the future.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I playtested this Mod with sidzej few days ago. You did really great work guys, i believe this Mod could actually fix most issues with rng being "unfair". Luck would still play significant role, while the influence of streaks of good/bad luck, which often tend to ruin games, would be considerably diminished. Of course, over the course of a long 50+ turns game luck would eventually even out, but what does it matter if the game is generally over after 10-15 turns due to some lucky streaks? This Mod could solve this problem, should it ever be implemented...
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

I applaud this mod, i say that because i don´t want my constructive criticism to be considered ¨negative¨.
I think the major problem with this mod is that it doesn´t look right, i mean, units say things like they do 7-3 and it looks silly , because it will NEVER EVER do 7 damage.
i made a non-luck system, and exactly the reason i had to made a change to the binary is because i had the same problem in my mod. Units would say 10-2 but actually they would never make 10 damage, but 30-70% of it. So changed all the numbers, and now the terrain that would be 40% it would be 100% and all the damage of the units and different terrains were changed on base of it.
I´m making this comment as a long term comment, in short them as it is , is more than enough to test the mod.

Anyway, despite I applaud this mod for several reasons, and one is that i dislike extreme randomness in games, i always said that extreme randomness is one of the lesser flaws of wesnoth, and that in fact, under current state of wesnoth gameplay, this extreme randomness could help more the game than hurt it. (So to be honest I always agreed that is a good decision to leave this extreme randomness as is)
ArtuR

Post by ArtuR »

Fosprey wrote:I applaud this mod, i say that because i don´t want my constructive criticism to be considered ¨negative¨.
I think the major problem with this mod is that it doesn´t look right, i mean, units say things like they do 7-3 and it looks silly , because it will NEVER EVER do 7 damage.
i made a non-luck system, and exactly the reason i had to made a change to the binary is because i had the same problem in my mod. Units would say 10-2 but actually they would never make 10 damage, but 30-70% of it. So changed all the numbers, and now the terrain that would be 40% it would be 100% and all the damage of the units and different terrains were changed on base of it.
I´m making this comment as a long term comment, in short them as it is , is more than enough to test the mod.

Anyway, despite I applaud this mod for several reasons, and one is that i dislike extreme randomness in games, i always said that extreme randomness is one of the lesser flaws of wesnoth, and that in fact, under current state of wesnoth gameplay, this extreme randomness could help more the game than hurt it. (So to be honest I always agreed that is a good decision to leave this extreme randomness as is)
Hi Forsprey,

Although I agree with you that the MOD has a different feel to it, and sometimes perhaps the wrong feel to it, I have to disagree that the unit will never do the damage that it says it should do. Currently, if you attack a unit on 20% defence, you can do from 55% to 105% of damage. Even attacking a unit on 30% defence will give you 45% to 95% range, which after rounding off can be the same as base damage on the high end.
In a way, consider the base damage as the maximum damage you can inflict(to a unit with the worst defence of 20%). It kind of makes sense. Any unit that takes a more than 20% defensive stance takes less than the maximum that you can inflict. The other reason that it might look odd to you is that the game wasn't really designed that way to start with.

I am glad you tried it out.
NarajinX

Post by NarajinX »

Yes. And further more, when more people try it out and demand rises. Improvements to display and other things will be done.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Any chance for a 1.7 release?
ArtuR

Post by ArtuR »

Fosprey wrote:Any chance for a 1.7 release?
I think it shouldn't be a problem, once 1.7 goes stable. The changes we've made are so small that most likely making 1.7 MOD will take 30 minutes or less.
ArtuR

Re: Damage System MOD(or Less Luck MOD) by A&J

Post by ArtuR »

Thank you alpha1 for your comments. I am glad you liked the MOD.
I think one of the major problems with the MOD is that you can't readily play it with people in the lobby. This might improve with time. I was also wondering whether anyone thinks there are some balance issues, in particular with UD and their drain. Anyone finds ghosts overpowered? I personally think the MOD changed their place in the game. It is harder to take them out with melee but should be easier with range. What does everyone else think?
JW

Post by JW »

ArtuR wrote:
Fosprey wrote:Any chance for a 1.7 release?
I think it shouldn't be a problem, once 1.7 goes stable. The changes we've made are so small that most likely making 1.7 MOD will take 30 minutes or less.
1.7 will never go stable.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Damage System MOD(or Less Luck MOD) by A&J

Post by Turuk »

Indeed. The final 1.7 release will become into 1.8, as 1.5.14 became 1.6. On that note, 1.7 will not be doing that for a long time, so it does not hurt you to release it for 1.7 now.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time