Updating random map generator

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Updating random map generator

Post by Velensk »

Wesnoth has evolved many new terrains since this feature has last been updated and I think that it would benefit from the ability to generate them.

As a side note, when last I used the editor it auto-placed labels out. This seems to have been removed, was there a reason for this change?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ilor
Inactive Developer

Re: Updating random map generator

Post by ilor »

Velensk wrote: As a side note, when last I used the editor it auto-placed labels out. This seems to have been removed, was there a reason for this change?
labels are not part of the map data; they are in the scenario file. The editor allows, and allowed, editing maps only, and not scenario files, so no labels. You're most likely confusing it with te fact that a random map generated in the MP map selection may have had labels.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I meant the random map generator. I don't know why I said editor.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I've just been looking a creating more sophisticated names for things on a map. (See WML forum) To this end it Would Be Nice (but not vital) if the map generator could identify areas such as castles, ruins, deserts, coastlines, river sources, river mouths, harbours, deep water, valleys, plains, promontories etc. etc. I can supply quite a long list of terrain types I could provide names for, if the generator was actually able to determine whether or not it had produced them.

Also, if you could feed a pre-existing map through the generator and get it to auto-generate names for what it found, that might be a nice touch.

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Advanced labels for auto-generated maps have been added in 1.7 as an easy-coding task in the pre-GSOC period...

please test the dev version to see how it works..
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've tried it and the base seems good, however a few issues.

I would suggest that you set a minimum size of feature worthy of a name. Maybe 7 forest hexes or something. This would be to prevent little clumps of two forests getting a name.

I would suggest that the name generator distinguish between names and suffixes. This way you could avoid the infamous "Water's Highway" but keep the potential to get Watervil.

I would also suggest it might improve things to develop some kind of algorithm that places labels close to the center of the feature, but not next to other labels if at all possible.

Your library of words is a little too small, but I imagine that time is all that is needed to fix that.

The generator still does not use the new terrain, but that is not the core issue.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I am looking for more options.

There was a underground map generator somewhere?

Where is it?

I would like to define more than Mountains and water.

I would like to define predominant terrains (Not only pick Swamp, Winter, Desert)

Would it be possible to define Forrest at least? Would it be possible to define season (Summer, winter,etc.)?

Examples:
I want a tropical Island with lots of vegetation.
I want a mountain valley in Winter.

Yes I would like a random generator to use in campaigns too.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895