Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by Mabuse »

For better design convienience concerning the STARCLOUDS, i will make 3 Items selectable in Editor.

1 for the plain clouds, 2nd for clouds with blueish inner section, and a 3rd for very buish nner section

so you may now be able to design HUGE clouds without looking [censored] at the same time ;)

-

new Terrian apck wil be uploaded, just a new Moon-Tile set, a sun for Space and as said the clouds get divided on different Sections, there wil be no difference between (other then using a different terrain code, but they will be same in game) them just opical difference.

the stations are not included because they really look not good ;)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Mabuse, I got it working. Great!

I had indeed put the final.cfg in /core rather than /core/terrain-graphics

Making more maps for Galactic Empires is going to be a lot of fun now!

The old spacenoth transition code made the stars twinkle which looked amazing, would it be hard to add that back?

I don't know what to do with the Satelitte, maybe best as an item or icon for the spacedock or something. As for the sun, I had planned to use that as a unit graphic - the sun will be an uncolonisable planet with 'illuminates'.

Which reminds me, I was trying to think of some more terrain possibilties to make space battles more interesting. One idea was to have certain tiles with the same def value as space, but with different ToD - like lava in default. Spacenoth has schedule images for 'deep space' and 'lit space' - is there a way to show this images in the ToD bar when a unit is on a certain terrain tile?

Also, what about making a reddish variant of grassland or cave terrain? Or, or... a red sea? I am excited now :D
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Oooooh... :D I want to make some terrain images... :) Can I?
Check out my sprites!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Mabuse, I got it working. Great!

I had indeed put the final.cfg in /core rather than /core/terrain-graphics

Making more maps for Galactic Empires is going to be a lot of fun now!

The old spacenoth transition code made the stars twinkle which looked amazing, would it be hard to add that back?

I don't know what to do with the Satelitte, maybe best as an item or icon for the spacedock or something. As for the sun, I had planned to use that as a unit graphic - the sun will be an uncolonisable planet with 'illuminates'.

Which reminds me, I was trying to think of some more terrain possibilties to make space battles more interesting. One idea was to have certain tiles with the same def value as space, but with different ToD - like lava in default. Spacenoth has schedule images for 'deep space' and 'lit space' - is there a way to show this images in the ToD bar when a unit is on a certain terrain tile?

Also, what about making a reddish variant of grassland or cave terrain? Or, or... a red sea? I am excited now :D
hehe, alright, let me see what i can - sure, more terrain will come.
i already wondered what the old code did, and why there are so many different star-gfx tiles - so they twinkle, thats great - will try to make that

ok, here is the terrian pack (which may be obsolete soon, anyway, the sun is (slightly changed) used there as a basically impassable terrain, since it has terrain "sun" now (and since no unit has it, no unit can pass it)

btw, about the illuminating terrina, i am very sure that this can be done ;), and it will be also shown in the shedule of course (too bad i didnt think of it myself and impemented it for the sun ;) ... well next update maybe)

some of the bluish clouds (zzc and zzd) can be also made illuminating, if that is desired, im not sure if its good, though ... your decision ;)

terrain codes:

Zza space (movement void)
Zzb clouds (movement cloud)
Zzc clouds
Zzd clouds
Zza^Af asteroid_field (movement asteroid_field)
Zza^sun sun (movement sun)
Zze moon (movement moon)
Zzj redmoon (same movement as moon and same for all following "reds")
Zzf moon-rubble
Zzg moon-crater
Zzk redmoon_crater
Zzh moon-hills
Zzl redmoon_hills
Zzi moon-mountains
Zzm redmoon_mountains

as said main usegae is better cloud placement and another lunar terrain, nothing big

will see the twinkling stars, and then make some more terrain.

@woodmouse: feel free to make some Terrain
Attachments
SpaceTerrain.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 568 times
Core.zip
(11.09 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Last edited by Mabuse on September 19th, 2008, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Why are you changing the core files? You can do the exact same thing in userdata, while not overwriting things.

See IftU.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

umm , nope you cant :lol2:
core data is only changed because of being able to edit the maps in MAP EDITOR

for normal SCN/Multiplayer it is not needed, and so i suggest to read more carefully -
for normal SCn you just include files in yoour SCN Folder as described above, to edit Maps in MAP-Editor you have to edit Core Data.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

screenshot
Screenshot_00021.PNG
Screenshot_00017.PNG
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Oh, right, that only works in EDITOR2...
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Editor2 ?

now im curious ... is Editor2 NOT restricted to dev version ?

If not, then it would be worth to support it too.
(for 1.4)

...but editing core data is really fast and cheap and ... as long you back up original files, also pretty save. so no reason to worry.

the only thing you really must always remeber is even if ALL runs on YOUR PC, you still have to check that everything works WITHOUT edited corefiles, since you want to run the SCN finally in Multiplayer without editied corefiles ;)

so after map making and scn editing, delete the gfx and edited files from core (replace with old files) and look if yoour scn still runs on your pc (you wont be able to open the map in editor though) - if yes, oyu made it right (included gfx and data correctly in SCN)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

editor2 is standard in the 1.5 branch, it's an editor included into the game.
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

I noticed that the teleport was added back in, so you need teleport on both side to teleport. Workers and soldiers cannnot teleport and scientist that do teleport turn into workers.

40 gold is too much if both HQ have to have teleport to impliment it. please lower it to 20 if not 15 or 10. It already has G3 and W3 to get it.

Can you make Castle and villages functional Terrains for the spacecraft. Im not a bigg creater of wesnoth maps and only have regular map editor it would be nice if it was possible to make a map with void castle and villages at the least, im sure once you impliment more terrains in space that hills, chasm.. will be used, i dont see any castles or villages on your maps, so i was thinking that it would be possilbe to make them viable.
KingdomAmericaCMG

Post by KingdomAmericaCMG »

i tried out the thing with the map creater, looks good but every time i make a map with the new terrain it doesnt work. please tell me what im doing worng. I dont code anything or dont know about coding since im fairly new at the game and mostly just playing not creating anything. I get an error that says This map has no sides. This happens when i use any new terrain.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

40 gold is too much if both HQ have to have teleport to impliment it. please lower it to 20 if not 15 or 10. It already has G3 and W3 to get it.
it shouldnt be lower than 30 though imo. teleport is extremely mighty to colonize a new planet for cheap, which else costs tons of turns. and getting Tech 3 may be not that much as it seems.
we must also think about future balance, bigger maps, longer games or higher tech starts. so its the cost of a fighter to turn your homeplanet into a big "distributor". then another fighter to colonize a full planet. shouldnt be lower really. i agree with 30 though, and if you think about it thats pretty cheap.

Can you make Castle and villages functional Terrains for the spacecraft. Im not a bigg creater of wesnoth maps and only have regular map editor it would be nice if it was possible to make a map with void castle and villages at the least, im sure once you impliment more terrains in space that hills, chasm.. will be used, i dont see any castles or villages on your maps, so i was thinking that it would be possilbe to make them viable.

something like spacestations could be used for "space-castles"

i already wnated to implement this in the last Pack, but they looked so [censored].

after i though more about it - i can't see the point of having them anyway, though -

since you may use (in the context of galactic empires) anyway better other units for that.

so maybe a really huge spacecraft that is able to recruit new ships, and has many options a planet can do, like heal, recruit and such- the difference may be that it can also move.

but anyway, for the current system i dont se a real point of having "space castles" other then having a good defense terrian, since recruiting units works otherwise, and implementing the keeps for recruitment and "villges" to get gold dont make any sense -

ahh, i remember that i may use the SATTELITE Tile for a space-station, but i wait what BOB thinks about it, since atm havng a castle to recruit uits from in sapce would be a pretty strange feature

so "space-castles" and "space villages" dont make any sense at all ;), as said, the satelite gfx could be used for that
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

CMG, thanks for that info about the teleportor, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Never tried a scientist. I will put the price around 20-30g I think.

CMG - you need to click on the blue flag icon in the map editor and then place starting locations for all the side's leaders.

Anyway, I had a little play around with some possible space terrains. These are mostly halo superimposed, as you can probably tell.

Any of them worth using?
Attachments
test3.png
test3.png (13.89 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
test2.png
test2.png (12.57 KiB) Viewed 6696 times
test1.png
test1.png (13.29 KiB) Viewed 6701 times
My current projects:
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

More...
Attachments
test6.png
test6.png (13.83 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
test5.png
test5.png (13.54 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
test4.png
test4.png (13.87 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
My current projects: