Galactic Empires (Wesnoth in Space)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Galactic Empires (MP Sci-fi Scenario)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Yeah, the ai won't be able to handle most of the game play. It's only intended to be played against other players. Although there was once plans to make a survival scenario...
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
tkocou

Post by tkocou »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Yeah, the ai won't be able to handle most of the game play. It's only intended to be played against other players. Although there was once plans to make a survival scenario...
Very true. Just finished a session on the newer 1.8 version of Alpha Quadrant map. The key to getting the AI to be semi-intellegent seems to center on the use of the 'transporter' to get off-planet and explore new ones. Strangely enough, the tutorial version of GE has a wicked AI space force. Dang near wiped me out. Almost as bad as Masters of Orion.

Anyhow, kudos for putting together such a playable add-on.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Postby Bob_The_Mighty » February 10th, 2010, 3:25 pm
I've updated Galactic Empires for Wesnoth 1.8, it's now on the add-ons list.

I'd like to know if anyone can replicate the old beaming bug. It seems like it might be fixed now.

I played a game with CMG last night and although it was fun I found it rather confusing. I haven't played this mod for ages, but even so, if the person who made finds it too complicated then something is wrong. I propose a set of changes to simplify things a bit:

1. Remove the flagship option.
2. Replace the 'refitting' option for transporters with a new type of transporter ship for lvl1 units.
3. Completely revise the science system. Instead of 4 fields of science, I am thinking of simply having 4 levels of advancement. Each level will allow new ships, upgrades and faction bonuses. This will replace the confusing tech tree and remove the need to think about how to direct scientist's research, so you can get on with fighting.
4. Troops will no longer be slowed on beaming down (I want invasions to be more likely).

Anyone object to any of this? Any ideas on how to simplify it?

.......................................................................................
Personally if you take out the science fields you ruin the game. I liked the original version.

My wish list for changes.
1. Scrap missiles.
2. Planets use to be able to get a missile range attack and a laser close attack. That was good.
3. Scrap flagship.
4. Leader death isn`t end game. A loss of home world is pretty much the end anyway but in a multiple player game it shouldn't be so easy.
5.I would like for units to be able to get a second upgrade.Add x 2 cost for second upgrade + cost of original.
6.Enhanced weapons technology. + 1 dam, or + 1 attack
7.Reduce ground units. workers , and scientists level 0 only and 1 upgrade for soldiers. That way transporters wouldn`t need refit.

Second subject ....
Would anyone be interested in a GE tournament?
Lich_Lord

Post by Lich_Lord »

I hardly ever play this game because so few people play it and it takes forever to finish, but I like the game concept. I do agree with some of the stuff that Tristan pointed out though, especially the tech-tree, which is really complicated and the missiles, which I basically ignore because I don't bother to research ballistics/the game ends before I get around to it.
Would anyone be interested in a GE tournament?
I would if you could get some more people involved. In general, I rarely find people who have the time to play out a full game, so I wouldn't say that I'm very good at GE, but I wouldn't mind getting destroyed by some masters :D
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I put these here for GE players who need a visual reference/differentation of all the faction units.
(doesn't include pirates, aliens, or "dwarthans")

Furthermore for the future, I hope changes are made for the better. :)
some issues, as said before:

*Simplify technology tree, so players don't need to spend too much time thinking on what to invest in

*Remove the "refit" option, it can be a pretty minor annoyance. All units including their advances should be able to get in.

*The easiest (and fastest) way to win is not by capturing the enemy HQ, but by destroying their planet.
Invasions should be more likely, as Bob has said himself if I remember correctly.

*All current maps start you off with alot of units (overpopulation is easily possible and units will spawn outside the border..).
Perhaps start with 2 workers, 1 scientist and 1 soldier, or just 1 worker. this would encourage players to think on what the HQ needs to produce, and it wouldn't slow games down at all since it's the mere start of building your economy so turns would be ended pretty quick as you have no ships yet or anything to colonise at all. Basically a starting setting like in the tutorial.

*There is a "ground only" map, why not have a "space only" map with only spaceships and a set amount of gold so that both players need to tactically use their (limited) fleet in order to win.

*An option to start with no homeworld, just your transporter ship with a couple of workers inside. You decide what planet to land on and start building your economy/empire from there on.

*Soldiers should have higher damage/hp values, in order to encourage players to guard their planets with their own soldiers because workers/scientists would get wiped out easily, or to encourage players to invade enemy planets.

*Playable against AI.. that would be neat, but it seems like alot of work.
Attachments
Advancement line from top to bottom:<br />(Terran - Vendeeni - Iildari)<br />Headquarters (HQ)<br />worker - drone - droid<br />scientist - diviner - inventor<br />soldier - fighter - trooper<br />special/unique units
Advancement line from top to bottom:
(Terran - Vendeeni - Iildari)
Headquarters (HQ)
worker - drone - droid
scientist - diviner - inventor
soldier - fighter - trooper
special/unique units
Advancement line from top to bottom:<br />(Terran - Vendeeni - Iildari)<br />transporter - carrier - cargo craft<br />scout - aphid - lookout<br />fighter - mite - fighter<br />cruiser - wasp - battery<br />special/unique units
Advancement line from top to bottom:
(Terran - Vendeeni - Iildari)
transporter - carrier - cargo craft
scout - aphid - lookout
fighter - mite - fighter
cruiser - wasp - battery
special/unique units
theBMC

Post by theBMC »

Alright, seems my map runs! I've set up a 'galactic undead plague' scenario, complete with special balancing to keep lildari plague immunity from being a big ground-battle factor. Check it out! Also, the map is a smaller 3 player map with 'galactic arms' to keep you from encountering other home planets too quickly, simulating distance and creating a tactically defend-able position.

remember to delete the .map extension on the map file. doesn't need it, and the forum doesn't like files without file extensions. Enjoy yourselves.

THERE IS A CODING ISSUE WITH GE_ADD_HQ or GE_ADD_SPACEDOCK:

using it to set a starting enemy HQ did not work, landing added a new HQ next to enemy HQ, immediately giving me the planet at space level. Had to remove those.

giving a spacedock to the moon planet gave it the "home planet" icon in the corner, so losing my HQ to the enemy zombies did not lose the game for the side, which is wrong! So giving a spacedock to my homeworld became essential.

Help with where to add my map and cfg file:

the map file (with the name edited to have no .map extension) goes in \Wesnoth 1.8\data\add-ons\Galactic_Empires\maps directory.

the config file goes in \Wesnoth1.8\data\add-ons\Galactic_Empires directory.

I am on a Windows machine, so my \Wesnoth1.8\ folder was in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\ . If you want to locate where these folders are, you can search your computer for Galactic_Empires

Last map fix Monday July 25, 2011

This map is now available in an add-on I have published on the add-ons server.
Last edited by theBMC on August 6th, 2011, 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gormlessaar

Post by gormlessaar »

I can't beat the tutorial... :oops:
theBMC

A new map

Post by theBMC »

map screenshot.jpg
So I decided to further explore my map-making ability, and I created this tactical monster, designed for 2 players. It comes with options for aliens, pirates, and even some planet location options!

I've decided to compile both my maps due to a needed terrain addition into a small addon that only works if you also have Galactic Empires.

Download it today! :D

Unzip into the add-ons folder.

This map is now available on the add-ons server.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Is anyone interested in playing this? Its a really cool mod, but with no AI I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet.

I don't know if anyone is still maintaining this either, but I noticed a number of requests to make it less balanced in favour of destroying planets, and I think this idea could work.

Any damage to the planet is converted into a shot that strikes the ground at a random point on the world map. This could:
- Kill or grievously wound any unit where it hits, this should be relative to the amount/type of damage done
- Leave craters/rubble that reduce the value of any land where it strikes, these could be repaired over time by workers
- Damage the headquarters, or perhaps even destroy it making it neutral again

It would then be a means to bombard a planet and soften it up before the ground troops arrive, albeit at the cost of reducing its value. This opens up new styles of play, as you could bombard your opponents into capitulating, or invade planets with scores of troops in order to preserve its value and make it a new base of operations, or use a combined assault to quickly soften up and then seize an enemy planet.
Just a shadow in the moonlight...
jonius

Post by jonius »

Is it possible to translate the era and the scenario? I would like to do it for german, but dont how it works.
Hawk wrote:Is anyone interested in playing this? Its a really cool mod, but with no AI I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet.

I don't know if anyone is still maintaining this either, but I noticed a number of requests to make it less balanced in favour of destroying planets, and I think this idea could work.

Any damage to the planet is converted into a shot that strikes the ground at a random point on the world map. This could:
- Kill or grievously wound any unit where it hits, this should be relative to the amount/type of damage done
- Leave craters/rubble that reduce the value of any land where it strikes, these could be repaired over time by workers
- Damage the headquarters, or perhaps even destroy it making it neutral again

It would then be a means to bombard a planet and soften it up before the ground troops arrive, albeit at the cost of reducing its value. This opens up new styles of play, as you could bombard your opponents into capitulating, or invade planets with scores of troops in order to preserve its value and make it a new base of operations, or use a combined assault to quickly soften up and then seize an enemy planet.
These are great ideas! Today I tried galactic empires first and my friend suggested exactly those ideas.

I would not simplify the tech tree. This makes the game most interesting. Also missiles are an interesting part. Maybe it should be more easy to get them.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

jonius wrote:Is it possible to translate the era and the scenario? I would like to do it for german, but dont how it works.
I'm not sure how it works either, but if I figure it out I would certainly like to take you up on the offer.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
jonius

Post by jonius »

I found this: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesCamp
seems, that you need to mark all strings as translatable... Let me know, if you plan to do this or if i can help with this.
jonius

Post by jonius »

When will the GE be playable with wesnoth 1.10?
One idea: could it be possible to read the tech tree, when it is not your turn? So it wouldn't be so boring waiting the others for finishing their studies about this...
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

jonius wrote:One idea: could it be possible to read the tech tree, when it is not your turn? So it wouldn't be so boring waiting the others for finishing their studies about this...
Unfortunately no. :cry:
WML doesn't distinguish between actions that change the game state and actions that provide information only. All WML actions are supposed to change the game state, and so can be invoked only within player's turn.

The only information a player can obtain when it is not his turn is the hard-coded stuff: scenario objectives, statistics etc.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
jonius

Post by jonius »

I saw it in "The Settlers of Wesnoth". There you can read the Rules also if it is not your turn. The Rules are the "start screen", which you can see again by rightclicking all the time. Not only in your turn. So it seems to be possible...